Jumpy Car And Stalls When Foot Off Accelerator

harrison44

Members dont see this ad

Well, certainly a tuneup would be the first thing. Check the plug gaps and make sure all plugs look the same. I expect it no longer has points, so just check the timing and the resistance of the leads.

Check for any inlet leaks from loose bolts, broken gaskets, split rubber hoses..

Then find a carb kit for sale for that motor. You may not need it, or it may be hard to get, but at least you know where to find one. Pull the carby apart & take a look inside. If there is dirt in the bowl continue pulling it down and clean it all. I squirt it through with petrol.from a syringe. If the gaskets look dodgy then fit the carb kit. If its all clean, change the fuel filter. (where all the dirt is..)

Finally run it to fully warm and set the idle mixture screw. Furthest inwards you can get for the fastest, smoothest idle.

before pulling the carby apart, is it worth trying to suck any junk out first.

Here's how I was taught. I believe it's called the "89 cent tuneup"

remove the air cleaner, start the car and cover the top of the carby with the palm of your hand. (your hand gets sucked in a bit) rev the motor and when it's about to stall, remove your hand. do it a couple of times.

if you're lucky, this will clear any crap from the jets.

(I'm very new at this mechanics stuff, so if this is not correct, please feel free to correct me)

Yep good idea peterd, ive done that before.

other option is to go nuts with carby cleaner before you do it, helps dislodge the junk.

Ideally you want to pull the carby apart and blow the jets out with compressed air.

Its daunting the first time you pull the carby apart, but once you do it once, its a piece of cake.

There really isnt anything to tune in a standard carby. make sure all the jets are clean, all the seals are in working order (ie new), and the flat level is set that is all you can really do.