Ae82 Installing Longer Wheel Studs

DrBoomtown

Members dont see this ad

I'd press the bearing off and do them off the car. I believe the AE92 upright is similar to the AE82 and looking it at, you may be able to get one stud at a time past the upright if you managed to jag it, but it would be dodgy. It won't fit on a straight run, but you may be able to get the stud thru enough to have the knurled part square to pull in, assuming you don't have backing plates. I also had trouble finding the right sized stud, so ended up having to open the hole in the hub slightly (~0.2mm) as there was no way they were going to press in there without that happening. Even then they worked the press fairly well to send them home. I've heard of people pulling them in with wheel nuts, but it's not something I'd do or recommend.

I'd press the bearing off and do them off the car. I believe the AE92 upright is similar to the AE82 and looking it at, you may be able to get one stud at a time past the upright if you managed to jag it, but it would be dodgy. It won't fit on a straight run, but you may be able to get the stud thru enough to have the knurled part square to pull in, assuming you don't have backing plates. I also had trouble finding the right sized stud, so ended up having to open the hole in the hub slightly (~0.2mm) as there was no way they were going to press in there without that happening. Even then they worked the press fairly well to send them home. I've heard of people pulling them in with wheel nuts, but it's not something I'd do or recommend.

Had a bit of a go at it yesterday/day and managed to make a right mess of it. cut a small hole in the dust shield to be able to get the longer ones in, the stock ones came out fine. tried to pull it in with a wheel nut and properly ʞ©$ɟed both the nut and stud and didn't even get it through. so wont be giving that another go to soon.

Tried to get the hub off but couldnt get it to budge, any advice on getting it off with basic handtools in my garage?

iv had some success :)

Managed to get both front hubs done on the car while being very dodgy about it. I'm going to say, nobody should listen to me, i am not an expert and there are much better ways to do this but this is how i did it.

Getting the old studs out is the easy part, theres a nice little slot on one side of the dust shield that gives you enough clearance to get the stock ones out with no worries. but if you are looking to put bigger ones in, well this is where we start running into problems because that little slot isnt going to have enough clearance to get your longer ones through. so what i did was cut a small hole in the dust shield under where the brakes sit. its not the prettiest thing, and you have a hole in your dust shield so thats no good. but it worked.

Now at this point i got my metal file and gave the knurl a once over to bring them down closer to the width of the stock studs to help them go in a little bit. you can ʞ©$ɟ them up by doing this and take off too much and they wont sit tight and your wheels will fall off and be a sad day so be very carefull. better yet buy the proper sized studs in the first place and skip this entirely

So now we have the longer studs though the hole and we need to pull them through. A popular method is the pulling it through with the rattle gun trick. i don't advise it, but its how i did mine.

First lubircated everything with some WD40 and then i tapped the back of the stud with a hammer and large center punch to seat in in firmly and get it squared up as nice as i can. then i slid a washer over the stud and then a large nut, larger than the stud so it just slides on and doesnt grip anything, to use as a spacer and so i don't damage the hub.

Here is when things can go very wrong very quickly especially when using a powerful rattle gun. using a wheel nut you simply tighten it on the stud. Do not tighten it on there for more than a second. you want to get it tight, then back off removing the wheel nut from the stud and then placing it back on and tighten again, pulling the stud through a little bit at a time, untill it sits flush on the back of the stud. The key is lubrication lubrication lubrication. don't skimp on the WD40

Don't do what i did the first time and just hold the rattle gun on there for 30+ seconds you will strip the stud, ruin your wheel nut and you might not be able to remove either and be left in a very sticky situation.

but really i should have taken it into a shop and got them to press the bearings off and do it properly. It could cost you more money to fix your ʞ©$ɟups than paying a professional to do it in the first place

Edited by DrBoomtown