Rookie Requires Halp.

jimsKE10

Hey all so pretty much I'm new to cars and have just bought a corolla ke10. So far I have changed my hand brake cables and shocks which from what I've been told is fairly basic stuff. Was just wondering how much more advanced a front wheel bearing change would be. Feel like it's something you don't really want to screw up haha. Any help would be awesome. Thanks

Members dont see this ad

Depends on what tools you have available. The bearings come off the spindle easy enough, but to change the shell out of the hub requires a punch and a big hammer. Installing them is a bit of the same, but with a lot more precision as it is possible to deform the bearing shell with trying to punch it in. And if you slip and score damage the surface of the shell it won't last very long.

Best done with a workshop press. But if you know someone with the tools, it's not that hard, I'm sure there's YouTube videos describing it all.

Its not hard, and the hammer doesn't have to be really big.. You could make a tool to knock the outer out, it just has to be the right width to neatly fit both sides of the bearing race and go past the hub. Obviously the outer bearing is a smaller diameter than the inner, so you have to use a punch to knock the inner one backwards. You could cut a brick chisel down to the right width for the outer one, and the inner one you bang lightly with a punch on one side then the other.

Push the new races in by putting the old races on them, so you smack the old race with the tools. Then just knock them out leaving the new races in place.

The workshop press is nice, maybe you could pull the hubs off and take them to a mechanic's shop and have him do them while you watch.