Ke10 - Everything Needed To Go From 1K To 4K.

thefallen1

Hi Everyone,

I own a KE10 and I'm at that point where I have decided to put a 4k engine into it.

I'm treating this as my crash course in learning more about cars. As far as I have read through this wonderful site, it is supposed to be easy.

Basically I would like to know everything I need to complete this conversion. I'm not interested in having a drift car or a super "fast" car. I just want something with the ability to make it up hills and be zippy while commuting between work and weekend events.

As it stands, I have a 1967, KE10, 1.1L, 4 speed manual. I don't have much of an issue with the 4 speed. However if there is a better 5 speed option to go with it, I have no dramas sourcing one.

I also know that 4k parts will be cheap; so if I break something its not a super big issue.

Thank you in advance for any help given.

Members dont see this ad

Put that K engine in wraps, they are getting bloody rare!

All you need is the 4K engine... everything else swaps over. Preferably get an engine with all auxiliaries (disy, carby and alternator) as they will be newer and will work better with the 4K but you can reuse your existing if needed.

That's it... use your existing gearbox, everything bolts up. A later box will struggle to fit in the tunnel (not 100% sure but that's the case with the auto).

You could go all out and rebuild the 4K but if you find a good runner that's not blowing smoke it's not essential.

I don't know if you could call the 4k 'zippy' but i can only imagine it being faster than a 2k for sure

To me, having the bigger engine would increase its value to other people. Like 67 Rolla said, keep the original motor.

Now post pictures of your car

4k is a fair improvement in a ke10.

When making the switch you'll need to use the waterpump that's on the factory motor, All the later model ones are different and fan will hit the radiator

Keep the factory alternator and use the top bracket from original engine, It's external reg and the later ones are internal which means you'd need to change wiring..

You'll also need to swap exhaust manifolds to the 1k as well as the downpipes and flanges changed later on

That's it... use your existing gearbox, everything bolts up. A later box will struggle to fit in the tunnel (not 100% sure but that's the case with the auto).

Incorrect. Later model boxes fit fine. Only thing you need to change is hole in the floor and switch to a ke30 tailshaft yoke.

Even a t50 fits in a standard ke10 tunnel. Auto without mods at all and manual tunnel needs a few taps here and there

Hmm. My 5K came with a GM 3 speed fitted to it and that didn't fit. I never tried a later Toyota gearbox because I love the Toyoglide :P

Now that you mention it, I do remember having to replace the water pump but didn't know why!

My KE10 already had a 3K so I reused the dizzy off that.

Glad someone knows what they're doing!!! And I thought I finally had a mechanical question answered right :(