Bonnet Beatin'

jimsKE10

Hey all, so recently I was driving my corolla and had just pulled off the highway (thank ʞ©$ɟ) and my bonnet latch failed and it flipped up and there is a crease / bend in the top left of the bonnet. First of all does anyone know what the going rate is for something like this? and secondly does anyone know a reliable and good panel beater that would do the job well for me? I live in Brisbane so anywhere around that area would be nice.

Before :thumbsup:

post-21344-0-59703000-1418435203_thumb.jpg

After :down:

post-21344-0-14024200-1418435258_thumb.jpg

post-21344-0-52756800-1418435325_thumb.jpg

post-21344-0-43582000-1418435377_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

Members dont see this ad

Yeah bonnet was definitely down properly and 99% certain saftey catch was working, pretty sure one of the times it happened was when i hit a big pot hole, dunno why the saftey didn't hold it though. If i had another one i would put like bonnet pin type thing with a short bit of metal rope from the rad support to the inside of bonnet somewhere so it couldn't happen. Bonnet's were hard enough to find 15years ago let alone now.

That's a very easy fix. You got lucky

You can get butane bottle torches for like $30 at k&d, use that to heat the crease and put water on it to keep shrinking the metal, hammer it flat with a dolly and a tiny skim of filler

Most shops would do it in half an afternoon, but labour is generally $100 p/h

Hey jono thanks for the info, think it will ʞ©$ɟ with the paint though? 67rollaken I'll put up some pics of it up when I do it, but there is a space just to the right of the original bonnet latch which is where I've seen other ke's have a second latch

Edited by jimsKE10

Yeah it would, But you wont get that crease out without ruining the paint, It'll crack as soon as the metal bends back the other way again

Also just do what i do and loop a belt through under the bonnet to somewhere on the rad support. I do it on my cars for drift days etc to pass tech inspection

Edited by Jono.C

I use a leather one with a buckle, Like the ones old geezers with braces wear. On my ke10 i put it through the 2 holes near the battery in the rad support and i have the belt slipped through the smaller hole and the bigger hole in the bonnet off to the side of the factory latch. It's harder on the ke10 cause it's a little area, but it's super easy on my Celica, It's had multiple drift days etc like that and never once had anyone say anything about it

Not good, but as has been said it could have ended a lot worse when you can't see where you are going !! I'm gathering these don't have a second latch ??

What Jono C would be referring to is under the bonnet there is the second skin which will have holes in it & just loop the belt through an appropriate hole ..

If you are not a panel beater I would not attempt it, it could quite easily turn to Shit, just pay to get it done or put it through your insurance