Can A Turbo Do This??

altezzaclub

Looking at the piping running around a turbo'd engine bay, I wondered if you can mount them vertically. The one advantage a non-crossflow motor has is the exhaust and inlet right beside one another.

Maybe redrill the oil return to sit at the bottom near the exhaust bearing so the oil doesn't pool on the seal, and I assume the whole oil gallery in the turbo is full of pressurised oil so the inlet bush doesn't starve..

Probably some single-choke downdraught carb would be neater.

Just point the exhaust manifold down more until the turbo inlet lines up with the current inlet manifold and stack the carb and air cleaner on top.

What am I missing??

post-7544-0-65665800-1419824862_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No not all, most Trust turbos like the t518z are bush bearing and nearly all 4wd turbos are bush plus most light trucks and mobile plant and fixed engines are all bush bearing. I personally prefer bush bearing turbos for the couple of 100 rpm gain from ball bearing chra's its not really worth the added money outlay. But again just my personal preference.

Unless you want to go down the route of ceramic ball bearing. Now that's an option not for the faint hearted, but cheap options can be found in the Apexi IHI RX6 turbos. These were the developed by IHI for Honda in the 80s and 90s when the F1 used 4 cylinder turboed engines.

I'm not sure if you know that your limitation is getting a carbon compressor seal for a draw through system, this is to handle the benzi / petrol going through the compressor housing.

I hope this helps

Edited by Aussie_KE70

LoL Rob... just thinking... Christmas time y'know..

the couple of 100 rpm gain from ball bearing

Ah, so the bushes work fine still. They must have some sort of thrust face in there to stop end float on the axle.

carbon compressor seal for a draw through system

Something else to look at too...

No way to cool the charge, and turbos get pretty hot.

Yeah, I figured what you give up in boost you gain in instant response. Maybe the intercooler far outweighs the lag.

packaging and safety reasons.

hmm... wouldn't want carby leaks! It would be a killer when you turned the motor off, probably boil the carb dry. So, turbo sock, insulation plate, water-cooled compressor... Injected motor would be the answer!

the turbo oiling system would be far from the way it was designed to work with gravity for the oil drain

so you would need a oil pump to drain it properly like they do in some low mounted subaru boxer engines like in turbo brz/toyota 86's

+ oil feed now not dripping onto the shaft as well might be an issue too

i think the gains would be outweighed by the negatives/extra effort personally

I looked up Aerocharge, small turbos with self-contined oil systems. They run ball bearings, but not thrust -faced, and have their own oil reservoir that feeds onto the bearings. So, an injected motor with an Aerocharge turbo on its side, and maybe the bearings replaced by a thrust set. See how the shaft is set off away from the heat of the exhaust side, not in the middle like most turbos.

post-7544-0-54635300-1419996455_thumb.jpg

The gains might be outweighed by.... the cost of $2200 !!

A turbo charger has oil fed under pressure this goes into the thrust bearing and brass bush and gets lubricated. This would work fine sitting vertical. Once oil pressure up thrust face isn’t touching anything it is floating on film of oil.....

Problem lays in the drain.

Turbos need gravity to drain the oil. The oil comes out at a huge rate and I know for a fact Garret GT40 turbo I’m pushing 72L/min of oil through the turbo. Its hot foamy and the scavenge pump needed to shift oil would be a nightmare sourcing hooking up etc. Problem is most Garret turbos run the thrust bearing behind the compressor wheel. The rear Turbine shaft usually has two piston rings that seal the turbine end that’s it. When not spinning with oil pressure this can weep some oil and when oil is hot ANY oil sitting in housing tipped up runs out through the seals and smokes/burns on turbine wheels causing early failure.

So short answer NO can’t run a turbo charger like this.

Have a look at the KE15 turbo on here the red one has a nice hidden turbo setup could get ideas from.

Cameron