Can A Turbo Do This??

altezzaclub

You gotta be kidding Cameron! 72L/min! Holy sh*t that is the whole sump-full going through there every handful of seconds. It would be used as a coolant by the turbo and then you'd need an oil cooler for the motor...

Well, now I see why people don't do it, a cute idea that needs a complete redesign of a turbo before it works.

Next project!

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You gotta be kidding Cameron! 72L/min! Holy sh*t that is the whole sump-full going through there every handful of seconds. It would be used as a coolant by the turbo and then you'd need an oil cooler for the motor...

Well, now I see why people don't do it, a cute idea that needs a complete redesign of a turbo before it works.

Next project!

And the Turbo Is BRAND new to so not worn. A large turbo that has no water jacket also uses oil for cooling so a LOT of oil flows through them and fast. I run turbo in normal orientation and on the turbo oil drain I have to run an air/oil seperator as foamy oil is hard to deal with. Setup was backed up by a nice 12 row oil cooler.

The temp of oil on the drain was 82 degrees C and it was going in around half that.

Also the pressure AT the turbo charger inlet when hot was also 100PSI hard.

Oil is the life blood of a turbo its only got to fail for a second at full boost and good bye turbo so mine is fairly bullet proof system.

Also should be noted I don't use engine oil pump to supply turbo have an external electric pump.

Also my turbo setup isnt in a car :P

Cameron

Doesn't mean you have to ditch the idea altogether. The setup Cameron its talking about is almost exactly like your original picture except with the turbo orientated correctly.

Exactly don't ditch it...Run turbo normal orientation a nice small CT12a or other GT15 garret sized turbo will tuck in nicely. Can be done ;)

That ct12 I used to run was way too small on a 4k, responsive yes but very restrictive to. Ct12a wouldn't be much better.

Personally I think a t25 is even getting a little small on a 5k. Bang for buck, response and top end flow I think the wrx td04l was great.

That ct12 I used to run was way too small on a 4k, responsive yes but very restrictive to. Ct12a wouldn't be much better.

Personally I think a t25 is even getting a little small on a 5k. Bang for buck, response and top end flow I think the wrx td04l was great.

CT12As are specced to run half of a 1JZ, so that should be fine for a 1.3L 4K (2.5L/2)

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Yeah I did jsut throw up soem turbo sizes from my butt there.

But the WRX turbo the old T04 look around can be had CHEAP so yeah go forth and look.....

Cameron

P.S.

I say cheap as most WRX guys want to upgrade so from a turbo repair shop I got an overhauled wrx turbo for $50 once never used since rebuild so look hard they are out there. But I think a turbo K car turbo is probably one of the cheapest parts lol

CT12As are specced to run half of a 1JZ, so that should be fine for a 1.3L 4K (2.5L/2)

Yeah but how many people happily run stock turbos on the 1j? And how much more power can you release with a nice sized single?

If you're going to go to the effort of turbo charging a k, then why not use a turbo with a good all round power range rather than something that's more like a standard fitment package!

Most of the 1j's I have had over the years have run stock turbo's & all went Very well for the street & even track use, my old 1J Corona had stock turbo's & motor etc had 199 RWKW at 10 PSI & pulled like a train & went like a cut cat at all RPM ranges & it was a blast to drive ...

If you could get close to half that figure on a single C12A being that the motor is around half the capacity of a 1J that sounds pretty good to me & I'm not sure what some of you guys expect from it ?? as at the end of the day it is a small capacity motor & surely a street able combination is better than some laggy big turbo job ..

Edited by lexsmaz

Quite a few Soarer guys still run stock CT12As, steel-wheeled and high-flowed (as you should because the ceramics crap themselves eventually) you can get 300rwkw and 12-second passes @~16psi, which is pretty damn good for a 1.6-1.7T luxury cruiser. Mine has ~200rwkw @11psi and pulls like a train all the way through from 3000 to 7000rpm, hardly restrictive up top.

Yes, you're probably getting towards its limits capacity-wise, but unless you're tweaking a K-motor to within an inch of its life then it will be more than satisfactory (and they are cheap and easy to find from the people who do end up doing big-single conversions for dyno-queens)

ct12a steel wheeled and high flowed is a now completely different turbo to a stock one so not surprised they can make that power

same as a ct15b on a vvti 1j stock they have full boost at 2500rpm but are restrictive up top once highflowed they can make around 300kw if done right

as any upgraded turbo ,which would cost the same as a new turbo anyway so may as well just pick a new one using

compressor mapping ect for the engine .

not saying ct12a is a bad turbo just think there would be better alternatives

Son came up for Christmas with his new Fiesta XT... The 1.6L makes 240Nm of torque, so it moves the 1200kg quite quickly, and it drove up at 6L/100kph doing 120kph odd. Its all sudden grunt from 1500 to 4500, so ideal around town, and I figured that's where a 4K needs waking up, all low to mid-range without any lag.. Just a small turbo actiing as instantly as possible, with maybe water injection to help. A race car engine builder I used to work for put it on his wife's Honda Prelude back in the 80s.

A really funny option would be to take the smaller 1L three cyl Ecoboost with its gearbox and turn it 90deg, then drop it into a KE70 engine bay and hook one diff side up to the driveshaft. Its a tiny motor puts out "170 N·m (125 lb·ft) from 1,400–4,500 rpm and 200 N·m (148 lb·ft) on overboost, which makes for a broad torque curve when compared to a naturally aspirated gasoline engine." according to Wiki. That's compared to the 4K's 67ft.lb... I'm not sure how to convince the ECU that there is nothing wrong when the diff is welded solid, maybe it wouldn't worry it!

Keep in mind guys a smaller turbo is not necessarily a less laggy turbo. Some of the laggiest cars i have been in were standard. A correctly sized turbo is always going to give the best results, a lot of standard cars from the 90s have too small and inefficient turbos on them.

Edited by oh what a nissan feeling!