Let's Talk Oil, Worked 4K

Chingy

Hi,

Ok I have done a few days of research but with no definative answers. I have a fresh new worked 4k and trying to find the best oil to use after running in.

I have built the engine on sticky engine building oil, and it will be run in on millers running in oil.

The car will be a fast road car used in the UK mostly in the summer for fun.

Any thoughts or information (more the better) will be greatly received.

Thank you in advance

Members dont see this ad

Nothing of any use, I sometimes believe that oil is oil and the price difference is marketing and not quality. Other times I think the oil engineers put better additives in expensive oil to improve it.... and in the end I use any well-known brand of 20-50 or 15-40 that is on special!

For research I read "Bob is the oil guy", he was an oil industry expert & he runs a fascinating page. There are stacks of oil industry people on the forums there.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

I am also a Pennzoil fan. I was running 15W40 or 15W50 semi-synthetic. The blowby in these old motors would ruin the oil after 5000km so you'll be changing oil often. Buy shares in an oil company :P

I tried 5W40. It sure revved quickly but it was too thin so the tappets rattled like crazy.

I also tried straight 30W mineral oil, which also worked fine, though the engine didn't rev as fast.

In a tired old K motor I'd use 30W or 50W mineral oil.

Edited by Super Jamie
  • Upvote 1

Is this the Penrite Racing oil you're referring to? What's not good about it?

I've used Penrite HPR for over 20 years without an issue.

The FJ20 loves it and so does all of the K motors I've had in the Rolla.

I wouldn't personally go any lighter than a 15w-50 in a fresh but run in K motor. I've had main seals weep with a 15w in the past.

I am also a Pennzoil fan. I was running 15W40 or 15W50 semi-synthetic. The blowby in these old motors would ruin the oil after 5000km so you'll be changing oil often. Buy shares in an oil company :P

I tried 5W40. It sure revved quickly but it was too thin so the tappets rattled like crazy.

I also tried straight 30W mineral oil, which also worked fine, though the engine didn't rev as fast.

In a tired old K motor I'd use 30W or 50W mineral oil.

I have seem some good reviews on15w40 just need to find a brand with a good zinc content?

I've used Penrite HPR for over 20 years without an issue.

The FJ20 loves it and so does all of the K motors I've had in the Rolla.

I wouldn't personally go any lighter than a 15w-50 in a fresh but run in K motor. I've had main seals weep with a 15w in the past.

This is interesting but kinda puts me back to square one :(

Used to swear by BP Corse Plus 25w50 back in the day (nearly a quarter of a century ago) if my 3k and 5k. Used Castrol RX Super in my race 5k with no issues either.

20w50 would be the obvious and easiest chose I was hoping for but I have been told it would to thick?

You might not get exactly 15W40, but there is no problem to mixing different viscosities.

Try 10W30, then change to 20W50 at the oil change, then swap to the blend. If it makes a difference you will feel it.

You could try 10W40 in winter and 20W50 in summer... Oh wait, the UK, it never gets hot! :laff:

Its complicated, you have to understand how oils are made and go from there... it certainly takes a while.

Whats the motors recommended oil? What oil temps are you getting?

Recommended oil for a stock motor is 20w50 but I feel that will be to thick. Unfortunately engine is not running yet as just been built so no temps to go by

You might not get exactly 15W40, but there is no problem to mixing different viscosities.

Try 10W30, then change to 20W50 at the oil change, then swap to the blend. If it makes a difference you will feel it.

You could try 10W40 in winter and 20W50 in summer... Oh wait, the UK, it never gets hot! :laff:

Good shout thank you.....and it always gets hot in the UK when summer is here and you jump on a plane and go abroad on Holiday ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Good or bad, I've been using Castrol GTX 20/50 year round forever, Toyota filter, changed between 3-5k miles. .keep my radiator running well and adjust the airflow in the winter with a cover so it stays around 190f when running (and I have heat!).

Had no sludge build-up or stickyness, a thin little baked on looking under the valve cover. My cam DID wear out after 40 years though, and I had to replace it, and the lifters, but I don't know what the previous owner did...it was 20 years old when I got it.

I'm not trying to race it every day like I did when we were both in our 20's but it still has to work it's butt off just keeping up and getting there. Now I try to keep it below 6k RPM's and it seems I cruise best at about 4.5k on the freeway.

We get more or less from 0f - 100f through the year, mostly 90-100 in the summer 30-40 in winter with periods of below 0f and there can be a 35-40 degree difference between day and night. (gotta carry a lot of crap with you if you're on a motorcycle, 45f morning, 85f afternoon) So the Castrol has been good for me through both extremes.

Now days it seems all i do is go two blocks, hit the freeway, 80mph for about 15 minutes, two blocks off to work. Repeat in reverse order. sleep.