Boot Filling Up With Water?

deception345

I need some advice from you fine people, and I was hoping you could help me out :D

I seem to have a problem with the right side of my boot, Somehow water seems to keep filling up and I have no idea why.

I took it to the BP to give it a clean today, I was soaking that area with a high pressure hose and the whole time it never filled up once.. It only ever seems to fill up during heavy rainstorms.. Any ideas?

I checked my seal on my boot and everything it perfect. I did have some gaps in my tail lights but I have sealed them up since then.

Cheers :)

post-21463-0-04445800-1420525326_thumb.png

Edited by deception345

Members dont see this ad

...and, welcome to Toyota Corollas! The KE70s are so weak in the boot structure that the seams flex around the edge of the boot.

This cracks the paint and lets water into the steel between the sheets, where it rusts away a hole in the gutter, and rain goes straight in. ... as a bonus the rubber around the tail lights rots after 30years and water pours in there, as you noticed.

Take the boot rubber off and inspect the steel, let us know what its like. Look for rusty streaks running down the paint inside the boot between the tail lights. I've used Raven self-adhesive household door sealing rubber to replace the tail light gaskets and rubbed Vaseline into it before putting the tail light in.

...and, welcome to Toyota Corollas! The KE70s are so weak in the boot structure that the seams flex around the edge of the boot.

This cracks the paint and lets water into the steel between the sheets, where it rusts away a hole in the gutter, and rain goes straight in. ... as a bonus the rubber around the tail lights rots after 30years and water pours in there, as you noticed.

Take the boot rubber off and inspect the steel, let us know what its like. Look for rusty streaks running down the paint inside the boot between the tail lights. I've used Raven self-adhesive household door sealing rubber to replace the tail light gaskets and rubbed Vaseline into it before putting the tail light in.

I had a look in regards to my tail lights and I think your on to something there as both the lights plastic covering have started to dissolve.

Would it be worth completely replacing both sets of lights with aftermarkets instead, as I was planing to do that anyway. I have floor/tile sealant that I used last time and it seem to do a pretty good job.

It just seems odd that water gets in so easily when it rains, but when I took a high pressure hose to it, no water got in at all! Could be condensation from the tail lights?

Edited by deception345

It just seems odd that water gets in so easily when it rains, but when I took a high pressure hose to it, no water got in at all! Could be condensation from the tail lights?

I'm not sure.I can't see it being condensation, the amount of water from that would be very very small. The trouble is that all the water from the back window and back of the roof runs down into that boot channel, then out of that above the lights and all floods down onto the lights. So any leaks in the rubber gaskets lets in a lot of water. I don't know if the plastic lights themselves leak.

What was it like when you took the boot seal off?

Also you could have rust holes etc inside the rear wheel arch on the inner skin & when you drive on wet roads the water gets flicked up & enters into the boot area, try running your hand under the guard & see what I feels like & have a look too & also spray water up there to clean off all the mud that usually collects there & check for leaks that way too ..

Edited by lexsmaz
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Crap, just discovered the same problem in my 30

Found it when clearing space in my boot, and we were getting heavy rain just a week ago

My boot lid lip is rusty, my seals aren't stellar but should be adequate. Thinking about making drain holes to avoid it again because no money for new seals

Sometimes i wish i had a station wagon

Ah- always park it facing uphill! ..or rather, try to avoid parking it facing downhill as then the water builds up in the boot channel agasinst the seal.

So you'll be off for a fibreglassing kit and an aerosol of coloured paint from Auto One as well... The local one here does a good job of matching the factory colour in a $20 spray can. Easily does a whole panel.

• Upvote 1