New To Toyotas.

tarlintino

Hi guys,

My name's Angus, I'm 20 years old, I live in Canberra, and I love cars. I don't know a heap about them because I've only recently started playing with them. I've been driving Subarus since I got my license, and had a bit of a play with a '91 Rs turbo liberty. I decided that it was too complicated a car to learn on, so I've sold it and now i'm seriously considering getting an old Toyota, as i've heard 'lots of good things about them and they look easier to work on.

I've come across two that i really like the look of.

First one is a 1980 ke55 - http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gundagai/cars-vans-utes/1980-toyota-corolla/1067136072

Second is a 1984 Celica XT - http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Celica-1984/SSE-AD-3084498/?Cr=5&sdmvc=1

I'd just like to know how much a car like this is going to cost me. Will they be a reliable(ish) daily? (Keep in mind i want to work on her a bit).

Which one looks like a better option?

Is it difficult to do performance modifications on older cars like this? (Suspension etc)

Cheers!

Members dont see this ad

Corollas are definitely basic, and are pretty much as simple as cars go. However this comment reflects the cars function also, as its slow, very little luxury, small and underpowered for highway driving. But its got a 5 speed manual so you might get away with it, its definitely clean for a 1000 dollar car and incredibly fuel economic not to mention its a bullet proof, incredibly reliable engines

Celicas are fantastic sports cars and are pretty advanced for the mid 80's, making them comfortable to drive daily. Since its the more advanced car it will not be as simple as the corolla but its still pretty primitive compared to newer cars. The suspension on this car is also far superior to the corolla because it doesn't go barbaric medieval with its leaf springs and joins the civillised world with coils. With the car you're looking at all the hardwork has been done such as body work and (I'm assuming) engine leaving yourself free to enjoy modding

On that, both have a strong modding community, but the celica is the better platform to work on. There isn't much you can do to beef up a 4k. They're both easy to work on , especially in comparison to a turbo liberty (DOHC, Boxer engine [2 heads, 2 sets of everything], fuel injection, turbo etc)

They're very good platforms to learn about cars, i did the same thing when i sold my 91 Liberty for a Corolla but if it were up to me i would've went for the Celica

Thanks for the feedback guys :D

The corolla has just been sold so it's looking like i might get the celica :) I don't think it's the prettiest, but with some new wheels i reckon she'll look a heap better!

I'll post again once i make a purchase :)

Cool, keep us posted about your choice

but i suggest you wait for other forum members to chime in with what they think before you take my word -- they might have more information

• 2 weeks later...

Corollas are definitely basic, and are pretty much as simple as cars go. However this comment reflects the cars function also, as its slow, very little luxury, small and underpowered for highway driving. But its got a 5 speed manual so you might get away with it, its definitely clean for a 1000 dollar car and incredibly fuel economic not to mention its a bullet proof, incredibly reliable engines

Celicas are fantastic sports cars and are pretty advanced for the mid 80's, making them comfortable to drive daily. Since its the more advanced car it will not be as simple as the corolla but its still pretty primitive compared to newer cars. The suspension on this car is also far superior to the corolla because it doesn't go barbaric medieval with its leaf springs and joins the civillised world with coils. With the car you're looking at all the hardwork has been done such as body work and (I'm assuming) engine leaving yourself free to enjoy modding

On that, both have a strong modding community, but the celica is the better platform to work on. There isn't much you can do to beef up a 4k. They're both easy to work on , especially in comparison to a turbo liberty (DOHC, Boxer engine [2 heads, 2 sets of everything], fuel injection, turbo etc)

They're very good platforms to learn about cars, i did the same thing when i sold my 91 Liberty for a Corolla but if it were up to me i would've went for the Celica

can't BEEF UP A 4K??????