Ke38 Specs?

Dzhoel

I'm looking at other corollas and I'm starting to really like the ke38 wagon

What are the differences between the Ke30 and 38? ie, boot space size in litres, wheelbase, feature difference etc.

Are ke38's useable as wagons or are they underpowered?

Give me some insight, because in the future I'm planning on buying a 38 because people don't usually like wagons and sell them on the cheap but i see wagons as infinitely more useful than sedans

Members dont see this ad

Pretty much the best ever car. Just get one. As long as it's not full of rust you will love it. Yes they are under powered but all ke corollas are slow haha but it doesn't matter still fun to drive. The extra space of a wagon is super handy. Once you go wagon you don't go back ;)

duuuuuude i used to hate wagons ey. i got a ke38 pano and its the tits! useable space for sure. the back is 1.3 long so its not massive, but i can fit 2 full sized pushies in if I'm careful, 1 is a breeze. i use mine as a work car, have a gorilla extendable ladder that fits in the back and its super easy to rig up central locking with a little solenoid that pops the rear hatch with a remote.

as for being underpowered all k motors are underpowered they're no different to sedans or coupes at all. they can keep up with traffic and a 5 speed makes life easier.

as cool as the coupes are i think i genuinely prefer the wagons. and they look killer when slammed!

heres some inspiration:

i bought a chinese kit off ebay i wouldnt recommend it. all the instructions were in chinese so i kinda forget what i did. i distinctly remember it being neutrally switched though. anyway so maybe don't buy the cheapest kit you can find and the instructions will be in english. but basically, you'll need a keyless entry kit which will give you 4 solenoids (only need 3 if its a pano or coupe)

basically they come with little mounting rails and the ke30 doors are practically made for them. you attach the solenoid to the locking rod in the door skin.

the tailgate pop is a little trickier, theres a vertical locking rod so i had to trim a bit of metal to get the solenoid to fit. but still pretty easy. i think i had to fit a $2 return spring for some reason. this is all a few years ago so my memmory is a bit hazy. but its pretty wicked when it works cos you can leave your tailgate locked and still pop it with the remote. then when you close it, it stays locked.

but yeh, just follow the instructions, its pretty simple, theres a master solenoid thats on the drivers door, all the slave solenoids are just a 2 wire (active which goes to the central control box that you wire in to the car and a neutral which you just ground)

i just installed gas struts last weekend cos the tailgate linkages ʞ©$ɟed out for the second time. the only crappy thing is the struts place a bit of force on the tailgate lock so the 'pop' doesnt work as well as it used to. anyway, a minor problem, still well worth the trouble.

• 1 month later...

Awesome

I used to own a vr commodore wagon, i hated it because it looked gooby as but when i went to a subaru liberty sedan to a ke30 4 door, i actually miss folding up that rear bench for an extra 1/2 metre or so of space

i bought a chinese kit off ebay i wouldnt recommend it. all the instructions were in chinese so i kinda forget what i did. i distinctly remember it being neutrally switched though. anyway so maybe don't buy the cheapest kit you can find and the instructions will be in english. but basically, you'll need a keyless entry kit which will give you 4 solenoids (only need 3 if its a pano or coupe)

basically they come with little mounting rails and the ke30 doors are practically made for them. you attach the solenoid to the locking rod in the door skin.

the tailgate pop is a little trickier, theres a vertical locking rod so i had to trim a bit of metal to get the solenoid to fit. but still pretty easy. i think i had to fit a $2 return spring for some reason. this is all a few years ago so my memmory is a bit hazy. but its pretty wicked when it works cos you can leave your tailgate locked and still pop it with the remote. then when you close it, it stays locked.

but yeh, just follow the instructions, its pretty simple, theres a master solenoid thats on the drivers door, all the slave solenoids are just a 2 wire (active which goes to the central control box that you wire in to the car and a neutral which you just ground)

i just installed gas struts last weekend cos the tailgate linkages ʞ©$ɟed out for the second time. the only crappy thing is the struts place a bit of force on the tailgate lock so the 'pop' doesnt work as well as it used to. anyway, a minor problem, still well worth the trouble.