Just Throwing Some Fi Ideas Around

ATOYOTA

Members dont see this ad

I wasnt bagging anyones car, i was bagging an example engine, if you happen to own said vehicle vehicle engine thats merely coincidence and hard luck.

Atoyota by saying go out and drive some decent cars means exactly that, you have no idea what you are talking about, so once you get older and get a licence put on your flat brim and get some life experience.

Edited by oh what a nissan feeling!

When I refer to the term "lag" I don't mean the time it takes to reach usable boost, I'm more referring to boost threshold. I've driven or been a passenger in a few turbo'd cars, and the thing that gets me about them is the J curve when it spools up. For me, an engine's torque curve has to be fairly linear in order for it to be useful. If driver input spins a turbine which in turn feeds the engine power, then for me, there's way too many obstructions in the intake tract affecting flow and I would consider it a laggy setup. For example, when hitting the apex of a corner, right as you let off the brakes and feed in the throttle it has to be responsive, otherwise you lose that edge. In my eyes anyway.

A well matched turbo set up feels almost as good as a supercharger but not as linear. I know this cos I specialize in supercharged cars and do quite a few turbo conversions on the same base engine. Mad variety and it's all good as long as it's putting down at minimum double (preferably triple) what the stock set up did lol!

What is the purpose of your car and forgive my ignorance, what engine capacity and safe rpm where the heads still flow well?

Edited by batmo

I've never understood why people hate "lag" so much. I've had a car with a well matched turbo and a lag monster. I'll take that lag monster any day. Sure it's difficult to hit an apex and hit boost at the same time but I guess it depends on what you want to do with your vehicle.

ATOYOTA, I took just as much offence of you bagging laggy setups as I took from Oh what a nissan feeling saying get out more, which was none. Seems the pot is calling the kettle a hypocrite.

I feel the difference in the bagging is ATOYOTA said he doesn't like laggy set ups which is fine & ( i agree too ) & It was a general statement not actually directed at any one in particular & not singling out such & such's car is shit etc, where as the other guy personally singled him out & gave derogative comments directed at him personally, which in no way was called for ..

The guy bag's him but doesn't actually come up with any constructive comments other than to go out & drive some descent cars, examples of said combinations being ?? I'm guessing he know's everything yet in reality know's nothing !! ..

I'm sure you would have / should have reacted the same if it was directed at you personally ...

Edited by lexsmaz

What is the purpose of your car and forgive my ignorance, what engine capacity and safe rpm where the heads still flow well?

My engine is only wee, at a mere 1504cc (I think?) and it has made power up to about 9 grand. Well, right now it doesn't, because it has a blown ring.

I've never understood why people hate "lag" so much. I've had a car with a well matched turbo and a lag monster. I'll take that lag monster any day. Sure it's difficult to hit an apex and hit boost at the same time but I guess it depends on what you want to do with your vehicle.

I get into this kind of debate/argument/dick measuring contest a lot with the boost guys, and we never come to a reasonable understanding. They're all into drifting and I'm into racing. They think a driver is only as good as his car, I think a good enough driver could beat them in a race on a bicycle. The argument ensues, people get offended, and personal shit starts getting involved. We stop talking and there's a lot of tension the next time I see them.

I like drifting, I think it's a well established competitive motorsport and with good reason. I'm not into any of that, I just wanna go fast, and I'm not just talking down the straights. I look at a race car as a tool, like a knife to a chef or pencil to an artist. Everyone has their own preferred setups to get the most out of what they're trying to achieve, and I have mine. I prefer an engine that responds quickly to driver input (I'm talking about fractions of a second here) so that I can accurately feed in power at just the right time. That's my preference and I'm entitled to it. If your kind of setup is big 6 pots with turbos, ok, that's cool, but there's no way in hell we'd ever be found in the same race together. Different classes.

I feel the difference in the bagging is ATOYOTA said he doesn't like laggy set ups which is fine & ( i agree too ) & It was a general statement not actually directed at any one in particular & not singling out such & such's car is shit etc, where as the other guy personally singled him out & gave derogative comments directed at him personally, which in no way was called for ..

Let's just leave this where it is. I don't need this thread being hijacked again by any more fanboys like him.

I don't see it as a phallus measuring contest at all. You like what you like and others like what they like. People getting upset about who is right may need to have a look at themselves.

I don't really see how drifting is a sport. Sure they're talented but who wins seems to be a matter of opinion unless its really clear cut.

For a circuit car its mostly about making it handle and power is somewhat of an after thought. On the street, to me, that all goes out the window.

On a 1.54L engine taking into account a pressure ratio of 3 (around 12-18psi) and max rpm of 8000rpm and most likely less if you run higher boost, a Borg warner S247 would give you great response and potential power of well over 200rwkw

http://www.theboostl...ower-S247-.html

Just an example of a solution to your hate of lag. These turbos are cheap and have a hungry blade design which grabs heaps of air both well before hard spool and also running whilst only low boost. Cost about $100 to rebuild and have a way bigger journal bearing shaft than a garret so bush doesn't mean spool will be crapola as per many mythical thinkers say ;).

There's hope for fast spool yet :)

post-21415-0-55577000-1424006814_thumb.png

Edited by batmo

I have this other idea too, if there's anyone left who's not too butthurt by having their views challenged... Have the right cylinder bank feeding air into the left cylinder bank. Swap the inlet/exhaust cams around on the right cylinder bank and time it to open up the inlet valve (now timed as an exhaust pulse) while the left cylinder is about to draw an inlet charge.

Inlet gasses enter through the exhaust on the right and are pushed out the inlet into the next cylinder where combustion occurs.

Since pistons 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8 are all tied together at the same respective position on the crank, the left & right cylinder banks are only out by the angle of the V (in a 1UZ, piston 1 is 60deg behind piston 2). Right is doing an exhaust stroke right before Left draws an inlet charge.

The bores on the right bank would be bigger than the left and compression would be raised on the left bank so that the larger mass of air would compress into the smaller cylinders on the left. I'd also imagine the timing on the right would have to be retarded enough for there to be a bit of overlap between the two.

DoxDsAy.jpg

Whaddaya reckon? Just another pointless dream?

I have this other idea too, if there's anyone left who's not too butthurt by having their views challenged... Have the right cylinder bank feeding air into the left cylinder bank. Swap the inlet/exhaust cams around on the right cylinder bank and time it to open up the inlet valve (now timed as an exhaust pulse) while the left cylinder is about to draw an inlet charge.

Inlet gasses enter through the exhaust on the right and are pushed out the inlet into the next cylinder where combustion occurs.

Since pistons 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8 are all tied together at the same respective position on the crank, the left & right cylinder banks are only out by the angle of the V (in a 1UZ, piston 1 is 60deg behind piston 2). Right is doing an exhaust stroke right before Left draws an inlet charge.

The bores on the right bank would be bigger than the left and compression would be raised on the left bank so that the larger mass of air would compress into the smaller cylinders on the left. I'd also imagine the timing on the right would have to be retarded enough for there to be a bit of overlap between the two.

DoxDsAy.jpg

Whaddaya reckon? Just another pointless dream?

http://thekneeslider.com/ducati-v-one-twin-to-supercharged-single-conversion/