Just Throwing Some Fi Ideas Around

ATOYOTA

Use the following formular to work out approx how much pressure you will get from one cylinder to the other....

P1v1/t1= p2v2/t2

Assume temp is constant to get an idea.

You will need to take into account the volume of the "pipe" between your cylinders.

I would guess that to double the pressure ratio (ie 14.7psi in the cylinder) you will need maybe 3x the volume in the "compressing" cylinder than in your combustion cylinder. Assuming the shortest route possible between both cylinders.

Now how are you going to cool the compressed air? You can't intercool as you will be adding volume that your compressor can't keep up with.

Also you have the power losses assocoat with compressing the air. You also have alot of mass you are spinning/moving so there is losses from that too.

What you are describing is a supercharger, but superchargers are rotary vane and can move alot more air. And they are also geared down (up?) So they spin much more revolutions per engine crank rpm than your idea.

Members dont see this ad

Yeah, like that, that's mega cool! I like how the air tank stores boost.

Use the following formular to work out approx how much pressure you will get from one cylinder to the other....

P1v1/t1= p2v2/t2

Assume temp is constant to get an idea.

You will need to take into account the volume of the "pipe" between your cylinders.

I would guess that to double the pressure ratio (ie 14.7psi in the cylinder) you will need maybe 3x the volume in the "compressing" cylinder than in your combustion cylinder. Assuming the shortest route possible between both cylinders.

Now how are you going to cool the compressed air? You can't intercool as you will be adding volume that your compressor can't keep up with.

Also you have the power losses assocoat with compressing the air. You also have alot of mass you are spinning/moving so there is losses from that too.

What you are describing is a supercharger, but superchargers are rotary vane and can move alot more air. And they are also geared down (up?) So they spin much more revolutions per engine crank rpm than your idea.

I don't understand what that formula relates to..

A lot of supercharged setups don't use intercoolers because there are no hot exhaust gasses going through them. As for the parasitic losses, you'll find that with every blower. Sure, most conventional superchargers use scrolls and screws but I'm talking about air pumps, since when you boil it down we're talking about air pumps feeding air pumps.

I'm still quite naive about boost so go easy on me. So say an engine produces 150psi of pressure and you have 14psi of boost running through it, does that make the pressures in the cylinder jump to 164psi?