Just Throwing Some Fi Ideas Around

ATOYOTA

With just the 2 pulley's acting as a overdrive for the turbo compressor you would not get enough RPM from just the pulley's to get the turbo to start to work, as the turbo needs to be around 60,000 plus RPM to make boost & a lot will run up to 100,000 RPM ..

Even at 10 -1 gearing as an example & say the Engine is doing 2,000 RPM the turbo will only be at 20,000 & If the turbo is selected well it should be just on making some boost by itself then any way with out any other external driving force ..

Edited by lexsmaz

Members dont see this ad

I guess I'm pretty biased against turbos because every setup I've ever seen/driven was laggy as hell because the owners just couldn't resist that massive top end rush. The picture was just to illustrate my thoughts. In reality I know there would have to be some crazy gearing to get it to spin fast enough off the crank.

When does a good setup come onto full boost? I don't mean when it starts to spool, I mean when the wastegate opens up. To me, any time the wastegate is shut means wasted potential.

Are there any setups that store wasted boost and feed it back into the turbine? Again, just a thought, but what if there was some sort of way to plumb a BOV back into the plenum so it's always pressurised?

I'm an NA guy, so I'm all about that throttle response, 'bout that throttle response, no waiting...

A well matched turbo will make up for slight lag with a good torque curve. Depending on the use of the car a gearing change may be needed to keep the turbo in it's efficiency range and minimise off boost time. Under boost/ spool can still be strong torque and drivability too

I'm a 100% with you in that laggy set ups are just a waste, I was at a dyno day years ago & there was a guy there with a skyline with about 400 odd RWKW & I said to him what's it like on the street & he said pretty bad & that a hyundai would probably run him till about 100 kmh as the lag was that bad !! to me that's a dyno queen as its useless on the street ....

You hear some guys say its great with big turbo's in that you can drive around the streets off boost ( so basically its like a low comp NA motor !!!! ) what a waste & slow & boring too, great above 4000 but what's the point for a street car ..

Once you drive a well set up turbo ( generally factory ) you wont look at a NA motor the same ..

unfortunately there isn't anything out there to store the boost, there are by pass systems to help the turbo re-spool quicker between gear changes but that is it unless you run a compound turbo set up ..

5 psi or above you will feel the car start to pull well, making maximum boost say around 10 - 12 psi by about 2,500 to 3000 rpm is a very good set up, the Toyota 1JZGTE VVTI Turbo Motor makes maximum torque by 2,400 RPM, so basically maximum boost which I think factory is around 9 psi at 2,400 rpm ..

Edited by lexsmaz

oh what a Nissan, I Disagree with you about the 1JZ you have either been in a shit 1JZ or a turbo Hyundai ... What size rear housing are you talking about on the GT30 & when does it start to spool ? & at what RPM does it achieve max boost, I agree the GT30 possibly has more top end, but would doubt the low down ability, I assume you are talking about the twin turbo motor & have you seen how small yet effective the C12A turbo's are ..

Edited by lexsmaz

I am very excited about when the f1 style energy recovery systems start to be economical for the common people to play around with.

-turbo power, no lag, better fuel economy. it sounds awesome to me.

or even just kers would be soo good for a street car with all the stop-starts.

but not keen on getting electrocuted by my own car.....

If lag puts you off turbos Just hyper charge the car. Engine is at idle while turbo is at full power/boost.

Those F1 turbos but I wont lie get me excited. The pure design having a copper winding on a turbo shaft doing 100,000RPM and a shaft THAT LONG the bending dynamics in it DAM! Nice peice of kit there. But ah will be another 5 years till road cars see that technology... :(

Why do people get all high and mighty on the internet? I don't care how big your dick is MATE, I'm just asking some questions, trying to get a broader understanding on the topic. If your only input is "go out and drive one" then maybe it's time to get off this FORUM. This is why the car community suffers...

When I refer to the term "lag" I don't mean the time it takes to reach usable boost, I'm more referring to boost threshold. I've driven or been a passenger in a few turbo'd cars, and the thing that gets me about them is the J curve when it spools up. For me, an engine's torque curve has to be fairly linear in order for it to be useful. If driver input spins a turbine which in turn feeds the engine power, then for me, there's way too many obstructions in the intake tract affecting flow and I would consider it a laggy setup. For example, when hitting the apex of a corner, right as you let off the brakes and feed in the throttle it has to be responsive, otherwise you lose that edge. In my eyes anyway.

I wasn't sure if he was referring to me ?? & so I came back with a response & then thought stuff it he's not worth it & getting into to & froing & so deleted the post ..

That wasn't directed at you. I swear, come of these cvnts think this is Facebook, where you can get away with bagging out other people's cars.