My Exhaust Broke At The Flange.

CorollaNut68

Hey folks

I've been slowing using up what was left of the original downpipe on my 3K. It's all new pipe and original style muffler (my shop was kind enough to hold onto for 20 years)... but the last foot or so, where it bolts to the manifold, is the original, nearly 50 year old pipe, I'm amazed has lasted this long.

After the last fix...old pipe keeps cracking...I had it all nice and quiet but on the way home it popped off, at 75 mph, like an open header, made me jump. Thought maybe it cracked at the joint like usual and I could clamp it together to get home but no....came apart at the flange, all that's left connected is the gasket and clamp. It was a very loud ride home at 1 in the morning...sorry about that neighbors.

I may have had too much pressure on it...I have a slightly bigger pipe on the new part and it's difficult to keep it from touching and rattling where it goes through the tranz mount...I've tried both ways and I hate the look if you route under the mount and can see the pipe hanging under the car. I had just recently tightened up one of the clamps from the body to pull it a bit further to the center...I think I should have loosened the manifold clamp and let it settle into place. The vibrations along with the pressure made it crack.

Years ago I had a header, the one I split for dual exhaust, don't know what brand it was but it eventually kept cracking too. Muffler guy said the pipe seemed too thin. I got it through JC Whitney but now I can't seem to find anything in the US.

I looked at several places over there that sell the Hurricanes but they don't ship worldwide. It would probably cost an arm and a firstborn too.

I've hunted around junkyards and can't even find Starlets or anything else with a K motor to get one off of. Which reminds me also...can a 45 amp alternator from a 80's model 4K be fitted to a 3K? I would like to have lights and heater at the same time at night, if it raining and I need my wipers too it's even worse.

I haven't talked to them yet, they are closed and we are having a small ice storm right now but the last time I talked with my exhaust shop he thought maybe he had seen an original front section with the resonator somewhere in their warehouse. It will be a couple of days before I can check.

I may have to try creating a new piece. It doesn't look terribly hard to do, I just don't do my own welding.

Slim chance it may be able to be welded...again. Doesn't look likely

Would like to stay original and will hope my shop came through, but if I have to and could find one that wouldn't kill my wallet getting here...I wouldn't mind going back to a header.

I could take what was left of the old header and try to get someone to recreate it.

Provided I get some kind of exhaust I'm planning on tearing it down this spring on my vacation time and I'm going to have everything balanced, all new bearings and seals, calipers, rotors, (I got rid of the front drums years ago) rear drums (have to rebore the center hole of later model to fit, originals not available), u-joints, rebuild heater blower and wiper motor, put some better wire in places...as much of a resto as I can find parts for...already have quite a bit gathered up. I wish I could do the suspension but can't find the right stuff and can't afford the conversions.

Sorry for the rambling on...

Sometimes it's cool to have the rarest car...sometimes it sucks.

Members dont see this ad