Tivo The Zze123 Daily Tracker

camerondownunder88

Well long story short. I was driving around in my QNC21 Toyota bB import and decided I want to get back into a KE corolla. So I found a KE11 rusted to hell and back in a back yard cheap. Bought it restored it (well cut out rust) drove it daily loved it. But decided I want something a tad newer for the daily since I had a KE15 sprinter and not a corolla. Well I went looking for something A) Cheap, B) Fairly easy on the service and reliable C)Bland D) didn't care what it was.

So I started looking around Camry, i20, subis anything.....Till I stumbled upon THIS car. It is a 2005 Toyota Sportivo with 160,000km on it. Factory serviced till 120,000Km and smelt like a really good curry had been once cooked IN THE CAR. SO after grabbing a meal (made me hungry) and leaving it a few days I made an offer and it was accepted by the seller YAY!.....So after thinking I won't get a corolla...I'm straight back into one.

So car as it sits:

2005 Toyota Corolla Sportivo ZZE123R.

South African made

Engine:

• 2zz-ge
  • Fitted Solid engine mounts.

Sub Engine Systems:

Cooling:

• TRD Radator cap 1.3kg/cm^2
  • Radator Cooling pannel to control air flow into radator

Fuel System:

• TRD fuel cap installed

Ignition System:

• Stock

Air Intake:

• Stock

Exhaust:

• Stock

Driveline:

• Stock 6 speed close ratio box
  • Solid Brass shifter cable bushings added
  • Factory TRD shifter installed on solid mounts
  • TRD light weight resin gear knob

Suspension:

• Stock struts
  • Added Ultra Brace mid point brace on inside of car
  • Factory Rear TRD strut brace
  • Factory Front TRD strut brace
  • Laile Front Preformance bar/brace

Brakes:

• APP braided brake lines installed

Body:

• Added Thule Roof racks with one bike mount
  • BAD PARTS TO FIX: Shabby with parts missing ie: fog light.

Interior:

• Factory optional floor mats fitted.
  • Factory optional boot/bumper scuff guard
  • Factory optional TRD sports pedal set
  • BAD PARTS TO FIX: Stiching in drivers seat come apart, missing plastic door in centre console, small hole in rear seat and more etc.

Electrical:

• SUPER LIGHT WEIGHT LiPo Battery Fitted
  • Factory 6 stack has dead volume knob, drivers side guard indicator blown bulb parker lights don't work blown.

Wheels:

• Rota Mini lite knock offs wrapped in RE002 Bridgestone tires

So Pics of the car the day I picked it up:

post-1811-0-52043200-1424437406_thumb.jpg

Above pic shows the COOL side reflector things car has.

post-1811-0-58835300-1424437420_thumb.jpg

Front of car. Can see drivers side fog light missing.

post-1811-0-03117700-1424437426_thumb.jpg

Missing side skirt pic :(

post-1811-0-94023800-1424437431_thumb.jpg

TRD badge :) This must mean it has factory fitted gear knob in Australia.

So first venture into FWD corollas. Has a few more kW than the old modded 4K KE11 so fun car to sit in traffic in and makes for a good cruiser. Plans are to more or less keep it NEAT reliable and enjoyable and functional. But I am a big fan of using all the car options from the horn to the last digit on the speedo and tacho. So while being daily driven I want to become a better driver and KNOW what the car can do and see what mods ACTUALLY do being positive or a negative change. So expect to see some track sessions with car and we'll see how it goes.

After getting it home but I gave it a wash and a MAJOR service. I Changed engine oil, changed all THREE engine oil filters, Changed gearbox oil, changed air filter, changed coolant, changed engine drive belt, removed rocker cover checked cam clearance, Flushed brake fluid and replaced, Flushed clutch fluid and replaced, Flushed power steering fluid and replaced and replaced window washer water sent for a wheel alignment and rotation I also replaced parker light bulbs adn head light bulbs and side indicator bulb. So a full comprehensive service. Car I find not to hard to work on. Being south African made most items have become lose and rattle so I have spent time during service replacing clips glues rubbers etc so car doesn't rattle as much. For the service either OEM fluids/parts used or good quality Penrite full synthetic oils used etc.

So I plan to mod one section of the car at once so I don't have 17 unfinished random projects on it and a mountain of parts laying around my shed. However as we all know late night internet searches can lead you into buying parts and not thinking so we'll see how we go. So anything missing Ill see if I can replace with a better item if not OEM and well make it a complete car.

So first target will be the body. The body has seen better days and with parts missing looks shabby as and for a daily I want neat. Not show car but neat. So on a quick walk around car is missing: Drivers side skirt, Fog light, Guard liners, engine under tray/stone shield, dent on fuel cap door, scratches here and there, clips missing to hold bonnet rod and washer lines in and yellow head lights. Along with neat after spending some time on Google images I found with few small additions these cars can look pretty trick. So I want to track down a pair of C-one wing tips for rear spoiler and mag wheels one day. However I really like the stock wheel so I may never get mags.

Now the scratches in the paint are small and with a good wax and wash not in that order they fade away If I get any serious body work done Ill probably get light touch ups done but for now scratches aren't deep no rust so they will be left. Scratches and a small dent on passenger front guard look like car park dents. I will be driving this daily so I am not too worried about these.

So first things first I want to track down a driver's side skirt and assorted factory clips to hold it in place. As car looks bare without it. Clips Ill get part numbers and order from Toyota. I know the side skirts varied a lot throughout the Tivo's model range. The Levin has different skirts to the Tivo's etc. So I will need to find an update Tivo side skirt this could prove hard.

Along with side skirt clips for the washer lines and bonnet rod and other things will be sourced from a wrecker.

I have found guard liners always seem to be removed or destroyed on cars at wreckers so these I shall source NEW OEM items for. Not the biggest fan of non genuine parts WITH some exceptions....

Fog light. Well my Tivo is an update model. This being so the fog lights went from rectangle items to nice round units. I have NOT been able to find one at a wrecker or on ebay so this item will be ordered NEW OEM. Big hole in front bumper makes me nervous.

Car has minimal factory options so I will also talk to Toyota see what I can order and get on the car also.

But after I got car home I gave it a quick wash and snapped these pics again. Enjoy:

post-1811-0-06722200-1424437797_thumb.jpg

Above pic shows the busted glove box latch. Will need attention ASAP

post-1811-0-31265800-1424437804_thumb.jpg

Rear of car. Looks a tad bland I think spoiler tips will fix this

post-1811-0-84559300-1424437811_thumb.jpg

Side of car. TO think these sit lower than a base model corolla. Also pulled off reflector thing on door. Will wait for glue and sticky tape to perish in sun and slowly remove residue with minimal chemicals etc.

post-1811-0-93451600-1424437818_thumb.jpg

Drivers side. Can see missing skirt again looks extra bland

post-1811-0-27160200-1424437823_thumb.jpg

Rear seat. Thik of the possible kids in the world that exist thanks to this rear seat.......

post-1811-0-59233300-1424437827_thumb.jpg

Front seat. The steering wheel cover is SOOOO dangerous. Doesnt grip wheel well and wheel turns INSIDE of it. Dangerous so getting removed ASAP. Steering wheel leather 100% missing so will need new steering wheel replacment.

post-1811-0-54188500-1424437832_thumb.jpg

Engine BROOM.....

So watch this thread as I venture into the world of late model blandness and FWD antics and see what happens.

Cameron

Edited by camerondownunder88

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one.

I put a steering wheel cover like that on a damaged wheel on one of my cars. I actually stiched it on using braided fishing line (of all things....) it worked surprisingly well. And felt nice I the hands being so tight on the wheel. So that might be a quick fix for you until you get some new leather.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Thinking Dave. However with my lack of sewing skills I didnt pick up at school in year 8 it would take me longer. I have a plan but to fix this problem ;)

But Update time.

I do a lot of bike riding so once I get car nice adn clean etc I want to keep it that way for as long as possible. So instead of putting dirty bikes in car I took oportunity the other day ot fit a full set of roof racks and bike mount for the car.

I compaired a few brands and at the end of the day can't beat Thule. So I bought up. I got the new black anodized aero bars with feet and mount kit and one Pro ride roof rack so I don't have to take off wheels and then car will fit MTB and BMX in a matter of seconds.

So for those playing at home the mount kit for this model corolla is: 1205 This is for corolla 4dr sedan, SPortivo and RunX hatch. from 2000 till 2006.

Pics for enjoyment.

post-1811-0-50873700-1425458311_thumb.jpg

Above pic is before install.

post-1811-0-38584100-1425458343_thumb.jpg

Above is the roof with just the roof racks installed.

post-1811-0-98427100-1425458386_thumb.jpg

With racks and bike mount on side.

post-1811-0-72252400-1425458413_thumb.jpg

And another pic complete.

So Todays tinkering.

Other week I bought this part cheap so couldnt say no. Genuine TRD items. It is a fuel cap for the zze123. So pics below. Fairly easy to install adds 0Kw..and only I will ever see it when I fill up at fuel station...lol

Before:

post-1811-0-69679700-1425458875_thumb.jpg

After:

post-1811-0-45934700-1425458890_thumb.jpg

Item in packet:

post-1811-0-06077500-1425458903_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well Time for updates:

Since this Weekend is a long Easter weekend I have spent some time doing a fair few things to the car as I needed study breaks and have a fair few updates for the thread.

But First update today is a simple easy mod of a higher pressure radiator cap.

Stock 2zz motor has a cap with a pressure rating of 0.9kg/cm^2

TRD cap has a rating of 1.3kg/cm^2

If you want to have a read of what the higher pressure does to the engine coolant temps etc have a read here:

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2011/06/beating-the-heat-advantage-of-a-high-pressure-radiator-cap/

Good simple site to explain its function.

So Along with the cap I installed a new water pump OEM Toyota. 2zz are known for chewing through idler arms and water pumps from what I have researched...And sure enough both of mine hit 160,000km and are both on last legs. Idler rattles and belt slips and water pump through inspection hole on front pulley is starting to weep red coolant. I have seen 2zz pumps weep then over night just let go so while doing cap I did pump. So cooling system has new Toyota coolant, new OEM water pump and a new TRD cap. This will keep temps down on race day.

Driving to work I have never seen temps move off the normal spot on stock dash gauge but on race day can get up a bit. So after this mod and more which I shall post soon cooling won't be of a concern for a while :)

Few pictures below of radiator cap:

Cap:

post-1811-0-40946200-1428294222_thumb.jpg

Before:

post-1811-0-66191400-1428294228_thumb.jpg

After:

post-1811-0-75532600-1428294233_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So weekend rolls around time to do more tidying up to car and fix all the little things wrong with it.

First cab off the rank today is a few added factory options.

Being into MTB riding and that I am usually dragging a bike in and out of the back of this thing or other big bulky items. So I saw in the factory options list the corolla could come with a factory scuff guard. So one was placed on order and showed up and installed. Pictures below:

post-1811-0-83699400-1430025376_thumb.jpg

Before snapping picture I had used boot and mat so yes got it dirty straight away and is great to use. Just flick it out and over bumper keepng car safe :)

After that the stock car carpet in these things is CRAP. Mine isnt worn out but its that plastic backed rubbish stuff. Doesnt feel good under foot.

So I ordered a full set of OEM car matts for the car. Much better feel factory clips to hold to floor and they fit perfectly so I got a set of them some snaps below:

Front passenger

post-1811-0-58111500-1430025264_thumb.jpg

Passenger Rear:

post-1811-0-81228300-1430025274_thumb.jpg

Rear Boot:

post-1811-0-74550300-1430025336_thumb.jpg

NOTE: This mat your saying looks....wrong...It is, I got a wagon mat. They are longer and farly well fit hte sides. Reason is when seats are laid down mat goes over it a bit protecting back of seat from pedals dirt etc from stuff and bikes so is big. Also the bumper scuff guard is under mat with tab that hangs over it to pull out in a hurry.

After fitting new mats and bumper protector I fitted a new air con system filter/pollen filter. The South African ZZE123 when delivered to Australia the air con was never "fitted" This was a part of the package the dealer had to fit when car arrived on shore. This was due to this model being a "global design" and what ever country took shipment of ride was "kitted" to spec for their country.

Problem is I removed glove box and noticed the filter tray was NON EXISTANT......So First thing to do was find a tray....Looked in a few of these at wreckers etc all cars had tray missing. Some had a plastic blanking plate some had NOTHING like my car. So picture below of my unit missing tray:

post-1811-0-95393200-1430025422_thumb.jpg

Problem is when your missing tray fan turns and air PUMPS out this slot thus blowing on back of glove box and getting shit air flow from vents.

So next port of call was to buy new. The Australian parts book for this car DIDNT list a tray. So after soem research I found the JDM parts book part number for a tray and ordered it in. Toyota wanted a FORTUNE for the filter so I got a Bosch item to suit. Snap below:

post-1811-0-92915500-1430025489_thumb.jpg

NOTE: Tray is pictured with ANOTHER filter froma camry. This filter was a test. They are to thick and not the right size. How ever camry filter was PERFECT size for hole in unit so could slide into dash fan filter slot throw tape over front you have filter if you want to avoid getting a tray.

But instead I got filter to fit tray:

post-1811-0-22243500-1430025589_thumb.jpg

This filter has foam edge to seal it so all air is forced through the filter material.

Need less to say after fitting filter and tray and sealing fan unit the AIR flow INCREASE through the vents was HUGE. Air con thus worked better etc etc and air was filtered. Best little tidy up I have done :)

Till next update :)

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATES:

Well car needed some loving so this morning I decided to do a few odd jobs to car to help neaten it up.

With all the rain we have had in sunny QLD recently I decided to put new wiper blades on as ones I had were deat. Went with the moulded flex blade ones over a stock inster on metal blade.

post-1811-0-31215600-1431144607_thumb.jpg

FANTASTIC!!!

The new blade compaired to a metal frame spring type wipes the window far better removing water and dirt so happy wiht this addition.

From some past front end damage the window washer jet hose was cut and re taped back together and then the clips and mounts for it were missing etc. I also spotted drivers side guard indicator light was out so I took time putting in new bulb all new washer hose I stripped from a wreck and plastic brackets that guide hose around bonnet etc when closing.

Pic of guard off:

post-1811-0-53161100-1431144759_thumb.jpg

Pic of plastic guide thing I replaced etc:

post-1811-0-84891400-1431144766_thumb.jpg

When doing this I also replaced the driver side inner guard as it was missing and I was getting dirt crud up in the light engine bay and other areas.

The ZZE123 was also missing the plastic engine stone tray that goes from under the car engine around the sides of each front wheel well.

This under tray is a two part item Left and right hand side. Toyota don't make this part anymore and I was able to source a passenger side new no drivers side SOLD OUT...so I replaced the passenger side half of under tray and did guard liner in drivers side guard. Now thinking ahead as I have bought an aluminium under tray for car for added aero and to deflect more stuff than plastic and aid in engine bay cooling I did buy TWO plastic engine passenger side trays from toyota. WHY you ask. Well since item not made I have to cut up plastic tray using side of it attach to aluminium pannel and then install. SO I can return car stock I got one good one on shelf one to cut up and install :)

Guard liner and passenger side half of under tray

post-1811-0-77941900-1431144860_thumb.jpg

What I have before I installed half of an under tray :( NO PROTECTION can see dent in sump.

post-1811-0-25497100-1431145140_thumb.jpg

The other week I also took the liberty of ordering some solid bushes for the gearbox linkage for the car. The standard items are a rubber bush with some brass in them and they wear BADLY and are soft spongy and bad. I find when in lift going from second to thirg gear at 8000+RPM the twist of the engine and the slop in shifter linkages prevents me from going to third. Due to speed I havent tried shifting from third to fourth in lift mode. But problem also occurs at 1st to 2nd also. Due to my gearbox having no crunches or that to save my gears from a missed shift my solid bush kit turned up and I fitted that.

Picture of old worn bushings:

post-1811-0-83339300-1431145572_thumb.jpg

Can see above the wear in the brass bush. It is out of round and was a few MM larger than pin on gearbox lever :(

After fitting I went for a drive around the block. WOW much much much better. Gear shifts precise and with minimal play in linkages now can feel gears "click" in and even in lift can get in adn out of gear :)

So next on the list will be a TRD short shifter kit and some solid bushes for the gear stick mount.

Due to the high RPM of these engines and my driving I have also purchased some solid engine mounts for the car. This will stop engine twisting around so much and again improve shift and since a giant WEIGHT in the car wont be moving around during cornering will also improve handeling. So below is a picture of box of inserts but these will go in at a later date as this will be a HUGE job to do.

post-1811-0-43053300-1431145789_thumb.jpg

Well thats all for now folk!

• 1 month later...

Updates:

So When I purchased this car it had a pretty shabby body and was missing the drivers side skirt.

Made the car look BAD....So I finally tracked down some sportivo side skirts. Now for those at home the normal model, Levin, Sportivo all have DIFFERENT side skirts. Sportivo gets the fake vent thing so to match the other side needed a genuine sportivo one.

So Purchased rom a white car. I sent item to a local pannel shop with car for the day item got paint matched. I then picked upa dn fitted my self. As I had gone to Toytoa and ordered all the parts to fit the side skirt. So all clips etc are there :)

Pictures:

Side before fitting paint matched item:

post-1811-0-90029600-1435056188_thumb.jpg

Skirt painted closer:

post-1811-0-78469500-1435056202_thumb.jpg

For reference this is a clip that holds top of rear of skirt on. So if they fall out you can fab up or buy etc:

post-1811-0-66355100-1435056212_thumb.jpg

Fitted and looking good:

post-1811-0-97505000-1435056221_thumb.jpg

Also a while back I had purchased and fitted a cooling pannel for the car. This will help seal around radator and force air through it cooling the engine better.

I found to fit this as I have an update model with non-removable centre grill there is a clip in moulded plastic grill that is attached to front bar. This has some moulded ridges for strength moulded in it. To make this fit I had to cut them down a bit. Simple job took all of 10minutes and this item was it.

Pictures:

Before install:

post-1811-0-73410700-1435056415_thumb.jpg

Easy to read installation instructions:

post-1811-0-14444000-1435056424_thumb.jpg

Front of car before install:

post-1811-0-48816200-1435056431_thumb.jpg

Clip in plastic pannel that needed parts trimmed. Can see in large picture where I cut this pannel:

post-1811-0-48669800-1435056438_thumb.jpg

Fitted and in:

post-1811-0-02307300-1435056448_thumb.jpg

With this pannel on temp gauge slight decrease in temp at high way cruising to work. Gauge was about 1 line lower (sportivo gauges have a stack of graduations) I didnt put my data logger on the OBDII port so can't give exact figures but slight difference made so all round good :).

I have also noticed on euro and some JDM varients of this car Toyota made a moulded plastic pannel to seal this gap. So factory in some areas was an option. But to us we get gap :(

Till next update :)

• 1 month later...

Updates:

Brake Lines:

The stock items in the car had been in service since the car was new and were starting to show signs of deterioration so I decided instead of replacing the lines with OEM I went for some braided lines. Got this set out of japan. Very happy with quality all bolted on no fuss easy to install.

post-1811-0-70903500-1439090948_thumb.jpg

TRD shifter:

So I stumbled across a TRD short shifter for the car. Now if you have driven the zze corolla with some wear these cars have a horrible feel to the shifting mechanism AND at high RPM shifts when in lift mode it is easy to miss a shift and thus destroy your engine. So along with the installation of the solid shifter cable bushings the whole shift feel has gone from a sloppy shift to a smooth precise movement with a good 60ish% reduction in shifter travel. I also added the factory TRD resin gear knob this makes for a nice feel and is light weight hahah.

The below photo shows how much crap had accumulated in the console over time. Hair clips crumbs and more was filthy. This got a real good clean out before installing the new shifter.

post-1811-0-26410500-1439091309_thumb.jpg

Below is TRD item going in. I cleaned it re lubed it and had it all like new upon reinstalling it.

post-1811-0-00108400-1439091349_thumb.jpg

So I reinstalled all trims and gave car a clean:

post-1811-0-58671700-1439091518_thumb.jpg

Those with a keen eye will notice I have now also changed my steering wheel. I will detail this in a later post.

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ Just read your thread Greenmac80 I like what you have done with yours but I see youe also busting conrods these zz motors will do that hahaha

But MR2 short throw...You jsut unclip plastic housing and slot in MR2 one? Never though about this option before I hunted downa TRD item.

Cameron

UPDATES:

Interior:

So I found an OEM TRD pedal set for the Sportivo :)

Items are a harder rubber with flash Metal cover. Now from two photos below you can see the real difference is shape and area of the pedals. The Accelerator on stock is smaller and doesn't have the "tab" on one side. The brake and clutch pedal pads on the stock set are also a little smaller in area.

So the added tab and area brings the pedals "closer" together allowing some heel toe operation to go down.

Now if you get a set from a dealer/online whatever. They are listed for the ZZE123 from the first model till about 2004. The update model the parts book will tell you it wont fint....They do....mine is an update model and they fit fine no obstructions or modifications needed nothing so if you have an update sportivo don't hesitate they will fit.

Stock rubber pads:

post-1811-0-10944300-1440316659_thumb.jpg

TRD Sports Set:

post-1811-0-62084900-1440316676_thumb.jpg

Handling Modifications:

So I was a bit sceptical about this "brace" that ultra brace make for the sportivo. It is a mid brace that bolts to either side of the car through the interior. Steel construction powder coated white finish.

This is interior rear with no brace:

Before:

post-1811-0-65793800-1440316835_thumb.jpg

The brace bolts between the two lower seat belt mounts. The bolts have ample thread engagement so you can still use factory bolts and don't need to purchase longer bolts. When I reinstalled the bolts I took the liberty of adding anti-seize to the bolts and torque them back up. Most bolts on this car if they come off get this treatment so future tinkering becomes easier.

Also the installer should note with brace if you don't put the seat belt spacer in the right spot will prevent rotation of belt tie down point. So assembly has to be done right.

After install photo:

post-1811-0-32164600-1440316877_thumb.jpg

The one down side I can find with this brace is it prevents the front seats from going all the way back on the rails. Now I am average height so I dpont have my seat all the way back BUT if you are tall and do then this brace wont suit you.

Now did it make a difference?

The chassis of the ZZE1XX corolla general consensus is they have a slopy back end. I found this brace improved my turn in on cornering and affect was noticeable so difference YES so worth it.

And now for a tesse at the start of the thread I said I wanted to track this car and have fun and enjoy the LIFT feature of the 2zzge motor. Well I have done some track times at QR raceway and below is a quick snap shot of me on last corner:

post-1811-0-39499100-1440317404_thumb.jpg

Now this silver R33 skyline had a stack of mods and was getting frustraited as he couldnt get near my time 1min10+.....

So next lap he pushed to hard and little light corolla pulls away:

post-1811-0-53535500-1440317481_thumb.jpg

This was done 100% stock and lap time was 1min 7 seconds. I was pretty happy with this time for a stock corolla and its SOOOOO much fun I can recomend everyone do this doesnt matter what you got you learn SOOO much about how your car goes at speed etc.

But a side note. There was an evo 7 there half stripped interior, larger intercooler, few other mods like pod filter and he ran a 1min 6 sec flat. So I was pretty happy with my effort. So next track session with mods and practise practise practise This thing should scare a few evo's :) And hey a few high powered skylines yes up the straight they get me BUT corners I got them so if I get my corners right I hold them at bay pretty well :)

But enough for tonight...

Yeah spinning bearings. Both cases low oil and hard cornering. Since the wide body it corners like u wouldnt believe. There isna fix with an upgraded sump. But I'm ontop of the oil situation and no issues yet. I prefer the extra torque of the 1ZZ if i keep the car then itll get a snail. But considering selling as i have older cars. And as cool as the rolla is it just doesnt have that old school cool factor.