1989 Suzuki Rgv 250 Project.

kickn5k

So I've been wanting another bike for ages. The only requirements were 2 stroke, pre '89 for club reg and a bit of a project. I looked at enduro bikes to convert to a flat tracker, cafe racer or chopper. Then started looking at sports bikes like Kawasaki kr-1s 250 and early suzuki rgv, well the kwakas which I really liked the look of years ago are nearly non existant and the majority of rgv's for sale later model and not eligible for club permit.

Then last week I get a phone call from a mate "I've just bought 2 rgv's, and I think I'm too big for em."

Went down had a look and struck up a killer deal so I got em.

post-2201-0-19088400-1424477053_thumb.jpg

post-2201-0-70073600-1424477186_thumb.jpg

So plans are:

Get one on the road.

Sort out some more comp, squish and port on the motor by dropping the barrel height .015"

And enjoy until the Rolla is turbo'd.

Future plans:

300cc kit.

Set of tyga Perfomance chambers and mufflers.

Pro-bolt kit.

Flat shifter.

Either new Lucky strike(period correct) or Rizzla suzuki gp copy fairing kit.

I've seen well sorted 300 kitted bikes make 75rwhp, not enough for a late mod 1000 but more than enough with no T/C or power modes.

Edited by kickn5k

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Good chance, I'll be draging these baby's, out of the chook shed tomorrow. Locksmith friend is coming over to cut me some keys late arvo, then I can play.

After some research, I've decided to stay away from a 300cc kit. A) I don't need 70-80rwhp to have legal fun.

B) we are ginea pig testing my engine setup for a mates pre "90 250 production race bike. So all my mods need to be class legal.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you get your locksmith mate around and sort them mate?

Nah not yet, he had a call out so wasn't able to do it, he's coming on Wednesday to cut keys for the black bike.

Have been purchasing some things of late. New clear screen, trans oil, fuel oil, new plugs, new air filter, filter cleaner and oil, new grips and a good set of second hand indicators.

Now after I've given it a service, then got it started, all I need is new tyres, rear rotor, front and rear pads and chain and sprockets and she's ready for rego.

I free'd up the carbs, wasn't a stuck throttle cable, the carb slides had seized with gunk. Cleaned up a treat.

ah cool mate.

can't wait to see which way you go with them.

For a period correct look I'm looking to get some of these after I've got the 5k turbo'd. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131144396023

But then I saw these.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=141227984124

I'm thinking I'll off load the blue bike after the black bike is club plated. Will need to recoup some money for the Rolla.

Edited by kickn5k

thats a pretty good price for a full kit mate

Yeah and from all accounts fit really well and colours are pretty spot on. It will be the tank that will kill me, that will cost as much if not more than the fairings.

New clutch cable fitted. Came with the bikes pretty happy about that.

ah dammn mate....

a cheaper, tho sightly longer to arrive option, something from online?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Switch-Gas-Cap-Cover-Key-Set-for-Suzuki-RGV250-Gamma-VJ21-VJ22-VJ23-/201117328833

Haha I've spent considerably more on it than that.

He has the code checker thingy, couldn't get one or two sections of the lock to budge on the ignition. So he's going to pull it apart, check it and lube it all up and should be gold. Will just mean one key for ign and tank and one for the helmet lock/rear seat release, this is fairly important as it needs to come off to fill the fuel oil.

Seeing as the rear seat/helmet lock is now unlocked, I can now pull rear fairings off. With this apart I can drain the oil injection tank and get the rear brake bled and working(hopefully).

I removed the ignition barrel last night, to get that out I had to pull the top triple clamp off. So while I was there I cleaned and re packed the headstem bearings. I noticed the dust seals for the fork seals are a little perished so they'll get redone over the next week or so.

Bought a new AGV K3 helmet and a pair of pretty much new(2 rides old) alpinestars road boots, they like the bike were an awesome deal($100)