Has Anyone Put A W55 In A Ke25?

aalaws

Hey Guys

I currently have a 20v silvertop which i will use initially in my ke25 and was going to use a t50 box,

but with an eye one the future (as I will put in a 7age 20v) wondered about a w55......

has anyone done this?

How much does the tunnel need 'massaged'?

Any way to retain original shifter position and centre console...ie remote shifter??

cheers

Members dont see this ad

Don't know about tunnel mods, but you're gonna have to source a bellhousing. I think Niteparts still do one.

As for shifter position, don't sweat. Dellow Conversions do a couple of shifter housings at different lengths for the W5* trannies so you can pretty much pinpoint exactly where the shifter will sit.

http://dellowconversions.com.au/product-category/transmission-accessories/

Hey Riley

Thanks for the link! I've emailed them to see what they can offer.

If they can help me retain the original shifter position and console (which I am restoring) that will be great.

I see Niteparts bell housings here on TradeMe all the time which is cool too.

Apparently the tunnel only needs 'massaged' - the true definition of that I am yet to discover......

I was really surprised at how much bigger a W box was over a t50. Pity I sold the t50 or I'd get some comparisons to give you an idea.

really? will definitely need some tunnel work then - thanks anyway!

T50 is a fairly tight fit into a 25. If a W55 is that much bigger some massage work will be required.

I've been told the t50 bolts straight in, so if it's a tight fit you're right then - hopefully it doesn't affect my centre console.....

You need the shortest length shifter position for this one, crossmember mods and a custom tailshaft last I remember....

Right, good to know - Dellow conversions got back to me with this.....

"Thank you for your inquiry. W series boxes can have one of 4 different stick positions. Measure from the back of the block to the floor hole. Let us know?"

I haven't got a box yet, or the engine fitted, it's just research at this stage to choose which direction to head and to be able to plan etc.

still searching for the answer......

T50 came in them from the factory, so yes(ish), it bolts straight in. It's just there's not a whole lot of room once it's in.

I read somewhere people have to pour oil in the shifter hole to top it up because it's too hard to access it?? .....that may have been in a starlet.....

really? will definitely need some tunnel work then - thanks anyway!

I've been told the t50 bolts straight in, so if it's a tight fit you're right then - hopefully it doesn't affect my centre console.....

Right, good to know - Dellow conversions got back to me with this.....

"Thank you for your inquiry. W series boxes can have one of 4 different stick positions. Measure from the back of the block to the floor hole. Let us know?"

I haven't got a box yet, or the engine fitted, it's just research at this stage to choose which direction to head and to be able to plan etc.

still searching for the answer......

You don't need a W box to measure the shifter position. All you need is your engine mounted so you can measure from the block face to the shifter. If you're upgrading a gearbox that already fits, even better. You just get a tape and measure from the face of the bellhousing to the shifter on your old box.