Oil Filter......

Chingy

Evening All

Looking for some feedback on what oil filter you are using. I normally go for genuine but it appears their are 2 types - large & small???

My local dealer has sent me 90915-YZZJ2 but I am not convenience this is the correct one. It's a lot smaller than my current one which was purchased by the previous owner and is not genuine.

Running a Toyota 4kc

As always thanks in advance

Members dont see this ad

Hi Colin,

Good old Ryco Z68 does the whole KE series. It's the larger canister. I've never had an issue with Ryco filters.

Commonly available just about anywhere.

post-270-0-17188900-1425421742_thumb.jpg

The 2nd & 3rd column numbers are for air filter & fuel filter respectively.

Trust that assists.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Sorry Colin,

Didn't realise you were in the UK.

Ryco is an Australian manufacturing company of long standing.

http://www.rycofilters.com.au/company/company-heritage

However, the 90915-YZZJ2 filter you were supplied, is a genuine Toyota oil filter, and is listed as suitable for a number of Toyota models, including Corolla, Camry & RAV4.

Cheers Banjo

Hi Colin,

Have just looked at your Starlet build on your facebook link, and am more than impressed by your attention to detail, and deep pockets. You are obviously a perfectionist.

I was wondering have you done anything special with the lubrication system, as you obviously have a serious investment in this amazing retro KP61 ?

Rob is right regarding the use of smaller filter cartridges to reduce oil pressure delays on cold starts, which I would assume are are common in the UK.

There is probably more wear takes place in an engine during a cold start, than takes place for the whole rest of the driving day.

That's why taxis, which do constant shift work, where the engine rarely cools down, obtain such long engine lives.

The one thing that always concerned me was the first start of a new reconditioned engine. Cold start, empty oil filter, empty oil lubrication galleries. I've always reassembled engines very "wet", and then spun the engine over on the starter motor for a minute or so, with no plugs in, so there is no compression. Then in with the plugs, and hit the starter.

I've not gone to a supplementary bypass oil filter system, like they have in aero engines.

post-270-0-30408500-1425427765_thumb.jpg

However, I have Araldited a rare earth magnet into my 4K & 5K sump plugs such that it sticks out a bit into the sump, and have always been amazed at oil change time, as to how much fine metal is attached. I figure what gets caught by the magnet, makes less work for the filter.

Cheers Banjo

Really good point Parrot,

If anyone is using an aftermarket oil filter, then they should check that they contain a non return valve to stop it draining, when engine is switched off. There are oil filters out there without non return valves !

Cheers Banjo

If anyone is using an aftermarket oil filter, then they should check that they contain a non return valve to stop it draining,

Yep, the Girl's KE70 came without one and that first 30seconds of rattle had marked the bearings badly when we pulled the motor apart. I use a modern small-diameter long filter, its the one item I pay the full Toyota price for. I can't read the number as its underneath, but its covered in Japanese writing.

I've always used Ryco oil filters on all my Rollas, and never had a problem with "rattely starts". The Z68, like all Ryco filters, actually contains an anti drain-back valve & an anti-syphone valve. You can read all about them, in Ryco's technical paper.

post-270-0-15511900-1425473391.jpg

http://www.rycofilte...y_mail_out1.pdf

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

I think the Ryco antidrain valve is a relatively recent change. They certainly never had them in years past. I did notice when buying a filter for my non Toyota daily recently that its now trumpeted all over the ryco box, so just make sure if you do buy Ryco, it is a newer model.

Oh for the good old days of Ryans in Elizabeth St Melbourne......

The Ryco technical paper describing their syphoning vavle, in this thread, is dated May 2007, (nearly 8 years ago) which infers the anti-drain, or non return valve, was present in their products, long before that. However, as Ryco, the company, has it's roots in filters back to the 1936-1940 period, I suppose that is relatively recent.

I'd be interested to know whether anyone on Rollaclub, has ever fitted an auxillary external oil pump, to a K series engine, just recirculating sump oil through an external high quality supplementary 2-3 micron oil filter ?

This thought occurred to me, when I picked up a 5K recently, and found it had a oil level switch in the sump, which I'd never seen on a K series engine before.

post-270-0-74616800-1425510241.jpg

Also about to do a full recondition on a 5K engine. I am doing some research, as to whether I should/could use a very high quality synthetic, or semi synthetic oil from day one. Has anyone used a synthetic/semi synthetic oil in a reconditioned K series engine, and what were the results ?

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Yes I too agree the anti drain valve is great, quite frankly, my 22re engine would not last without it, they rattle badly without the genuine or ryco filter with the anti drain valve. I also like to pour oil into the filter before installing it. Just so you have to pump less oil around before you get oil pressure.

Toyota went to smaller filters on some of their cars to help in oil pressure delays on cold start up, if your engine is internally quite clean & you change your filter at the recommended interval the larger filter is not needed ...

Thanks lexsmaz,mid some research and your are absolutely correct with the change to the smaller filter, but if anyone is interested the larger filter part number is 15601-33021