Ost-031: A Delicate Dance

A delicate dance... smiley-dance020.gif

titled as such because OST-031 and OST-030 will be built almost simultaneously.

ost-031.jpg

As you can see... OST-030 in the background, with 2 heads in front

ost-30_and_ost-31_on_the_bench.jpg

Clients head on the left.... anyone see an issue??

How about if we isolate the two sets of chambers.... clients head on top

clients_head_with_flaws_and_replacement.jpg

It's replacement on the bottom

See anything now??

Closer??

show_chamber_flaws.jpg

I've dismantled the replacement and I've sent it on to get cleaned and pressure checked....

So with it @ the shop to get cleaned, the delicate dance proceeds smiley-dance020.gif as I move back to OST-030

More to come... :D

Members dont see this ad
  • 2 weeks later...

Well that doesn't look right... 8/

nope it doesn't... that is why we replaced that head....

So with it @ the shop to get cleaned' date=' the delicate dance proceeds

More to come... :D[/quote']

So now that OST-030 is @ the shop getting its valve job, work on OST-031 begins.....

A slightly different angle view on the intake bowls, and chambers... a bit more vertical

chamber_comparison_4_panel.jpg

This view allows us to see the back of the bowl where it meets the valve seat.

Now when I titled this thread "A delicate dance" originally it was based on working OST-030 side by side with OST-031... BUT OST-031's title has new meaning....

exhaust_ports_w_gasket_showing_little_room_to_work_the_roofs_2_panel.jpg

Note how close the gasket edge is to the port outlet roofs... best noticed on end ports, 4 is done, #1 on right is yet to be touched

On #4 (the one done) there was less that .010" to the edge of the gasket. Typically I have over 1/2mm (.0197") or even more!

more to come....... :D

Don't tell anyone' date=' all gasket manufacturers are the only ones to really know the real speed secrets of every head. [/quote']

I hear what I BELIEVE you are saying... I only use OEM gaskets when I work the head, because OEM tends to have more consistancy........

I've gotten a bit further since my last post.....

exhaust_ports_w_gasket_showing_little_room_to_work_the_roofs_4_panel.jpg

and in more detail.... 2 slightly different views...

1st internally exhaust port #2's transition

exh_port_3.gif

and from a slightly different POV...... #3's transition

exh_port_3a.gif

More to come...... :D

• 3 weeks later...
Wouldn't these "bad" heads have better pressure recovery zones?

11204890_10153299105152002_8318231280330923288_n.jpg?oh=081c64a221288b430da58ba0ddbde826&oe=55E1E9C5&__gda__=1438886842_8e79e40412b8efa5806dae76fcd0579a

not disputed.... BUT.. the time required/amount of work involved makes it significantly less desirable. Also to consider is the irregularity of the "flaw"s occurance.

clients_head_with_flaws_and_replacement.jpg

chamber #1 has no "flaw"... chamber #4 has only a minor "flaw". Do I weld up chambers 1 and 4 and shape them to equal the finished chambers of 2 and 3? My typical finished head goes out the door for under $1500' date=' some under $1000

so... to again answer your question... Yes... these heads would have better pressure recovery, but the work involved makes it less affordable/attractive.

"Pressure Recovery" - is a concept researched by Darren Morgan (Induction Research and Development expert). In essence.....

'pressure recovery' refers to efficient slowing of fluid velocity and transforming the kinetic energy into pressure. In the runner, and especially through a partially-open valve, the velocity is high and the pressure low. In the cylinder, the opposite is true. A gradual transition, as in the exit contour of a carb venturi or through a tapered-hole carb spacer, accomplishes this. Blasting a high-speed air jet into a a big, still cylinder does not.

to simplify this even more(to better visualize)... think of the valve opening inside a funnel..... :bounce:

normal_Pressure_recovery_2.jpg

Do you tend to use a flow test bench to validate the work you do?

yes...... I don't test each head I do, unless the client wants(spends for) verified results.

I typically experiment on a mule, then test the work I do. Once I find an area or procedure that is effective, I incorporate it into my work.

4AG....

flowbench2012takingreadings_zpsa06e0441.jpg

7MG

testing7mgcleanheaadintake_zps203e2131.jpg

SR20DE

sr20_head_on_flowbench_smaller.jpg

As to the accuracy/consistency of my work... this chart shows less than a 1.5% difference between the flow of 4 exhaust ports

whatIdo-proof3_zps82caf3a5.jpg

With OST-030 heading back to its owner, and OST-032 at the shop getting cleaned and pressure checked, there is a window of time to check chamber volumes on OST-031, and then re-assemble.

checking_chamber_2_volume.jpg

chamber_volume_35_6.jpg

This time I got 35.6 on #1, and #2, #3 was 35.3, and #4 was 35.5

Soooo... I did a little adjustment on chambers 3 and 4 and got both to 35.6

Chamber and bowls... before.... and after

disassembled2C_before_cleaning_and_after_porting.jpg

Assembly to follow......

If you had to guess how many hours would you say went into this one?

port work - about 30 hours : chamber deshrouding' date=' and equalizing chamber volumes - 6 hours : waiting for the machine shop to do their thing - 2 weeks

Found another suspect retainer... swapped it out

[img']http://ost.ebeans.ch/albums/userpics/10005/retainer_flaw.jpg[/img]

The head is now ready for its cams.....

assembled_head_waiting_for_shims_and_cams.jpg

More to come....... :D

what happened to the other three?

if you crank your neck 85 degrees to the left.... ;)

you can see intake valve #2 is currently @ .010" (spec is .008"), with a .1122" shim. This means replacing with an .1142" shim should get me to spec. The other 2 intake valve, 5 and 6, are currently @ .008" with the .1122 shim. The other 13 were significantly tighter, and if I had a full stock of thin shims (.0984" through .1024") I might just shim it... but I TRY to think of the client/next guy... and if I keep common shim types in there, when this client goes for camshafts in his future... he should still be within standard - common size shim distances.