1Zzfe Motor

Duncan

hello, does anyone know what year(s) of manufacture was affected by the oil consumption/piston ring problem with this engine? Is there a particular engine number identification to look out for?

Thanks

Members dont see this ad

From memory the issue only really affected the non-VVTi 1ZZFEs fitted to the ZZE112 Corollas in North America (Australian and Japanese models soldiered on with the A-series motors). If you're buying an Australian-delivered 1ZZ then it will be the VVTi model and shouldn't suffer the problems that the US ones did.

thankyou for your reply Hiro.

Now I'm confused, I thought that 1ZZFE engines were all VVTI's ? I have a 7A engine in my 1998 rolla. Obviously not the same thing.

Perhaps I am incorrect but I am sure that I have read about aussie owned 1ZZFE engines. The one that I am looking at is a 2004 model corolla wagon.

All Australian-delivered 1ZZs are VVTi. North America got the ZZ engine a series earlier than Japan and Australia did (in the ZZE112 series, whereas Australia had the 7A-powered AE112).

I've mainly heard about the horror stories in the US non-VVTi models, not to say that the later ones sold here are immune but it definitely seems less common.