Ae86 Shocks In Ke25......what Insert.....

aalaws

Members dont see this ad

I presume you mean AE86 front struts?

I followed this route. When I did it there wasn't the option of a medium or tall size, so it might be best to talk to Gabe about it.

Works well as it puts the insert at the bottom of the casing so you don't bottom out the insert.

Edit: Sorry I should add that these are fitted to my AE86 and keep my shortened springs (not coilover) nicely captive. Gabe is well aware of the AE86 into TE27 route so should be able to advise you.

Edited by parrot

I have used the SW20 rear damper insert in a shortened/coilover AE86 strut housing in a KE70. So far I've tried them with 8, 7 and 5kg/mm springs and I like the 5kg/mm the best - still plenty stiff but not harsh like the 8kg/mm springs. A KE25 is a fair bit lighter than a KE70 too.

I have used the SW20 rear damper insert in a shortened/coilover AE86 strut housing in a KE70. So far I've tried them with 8, 7 and 5kg/mm springs and I like the 5kg/mm the best - still plenty stiff but not harsh like the 8kg/mm springs. A KE25 is a fair bit lighter than a KE70 too.

Thats good to know about the springs Rian. Any idea what lowering spring would match the 5kg/mm spring you used?

I emailed Gabriel at Techno Toy Tuning, he said that the sw20 front inserts are slightly shorter and better to use - and to also shorten the strut casing by 40mm, or use their strut tube spacers and lowering springs - both options sound ok to me........just have no idea what ride height i'm going to end up with......

Yes you need them, but unless you go coilover, there isn't enough room in the strut tower to pull them across.

Really? It's always the case on the net.....so many different opinions.....

I've read up about a few cars with out going coilover and no mention of positive camber - tally, ae25......

I'm a typical noobie looking for the easiest option ha ha. Well at least I know what parts I need now and can give it a go and if I have to convert my struts to coilover so be it. Thanks for the info :)

Parrot is right, there is hardly any room to move inwards with standard springs. The camber tops would only go in maybe 1cm so around 1 deg.

The AE86 struts have a different stub axle angle called the "Included Angle" which is the angle of the strut leg to the stub axle. This change

of angle in the AE86 struts in a KE25 causes slight positive camber which is then can be corrected with camber plates. If you use coilovers the

plates can allow more negative camber to be put into the front end so its a worthwhile investment but it does cost a fair bit for everything...

Edited by styler