Ms85 Crown. 1Uzfe

greenmac80

• 3 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad

so i got my new custom sway bar.. 27mm

arrived like this.

20160805_181454_1.jpg

20160805_181034.jpg

have since had it sandblasted. zinced and topcoated in satin black.

Went to fit it. fouls on my bottom radiator outlet. so issue there to sort out. either drop the sway bar down a bit or raise my radiatior by 10mm or so. i have clearance up top.

trans is back up in the car.

got this turnbuckle machined up.

20160819_092923.jpg

and made my top rear diff arm adjustable so i can get the optimum pinion angle.

20160821_151954.jpg

fitted the new cooler and made the lines up. Need to order some proper 90 degree fittings for the bottom

20160822_153144.jpg

freshened up the grill and headlight surrounds while it was all off.

drive shaft is currrently at the shop getting balanced and some new unis.

Nice update, good move with the trans i bet you were getting sick of pulling them out! he seems to be able to build them really strong these days, some cars out there running 9s on his trans without breaking them. A mate of mine has one behind his 1uz supercharged supra running 20 psi and is never missed a beat.

Awesome, i thought you might have something like that up your sleeve. It's a full forged engine, initially he had the 1uz harrop on it running over 20 psi but it wasn't able to reach his goal so he has gone to the larger one designed for the ls1s. It's on 98 fuel and Heat soak had been a major issue, he has their best water to air heat exchanger on it but after one lap at queensland raceway it literally losses half of its power. We think e85 is the solution to the problem, it should stay cooler and even when it gets hot we will need to pull way less timing out. but he is yet to change it over. His plates are pwr95 but i can't seem to find anything current on the Internets.

Edited by oh what a nissan feeling!

oh right i was thinking that at 20psi the intake temps would be enormous.

mine initially is going to be on standard everything. probably only 7 psi with water meth injection. Should see 200kw atw.

Then i'll buy bits and pieced to upgrade it.

WOLF V550

550cc injectors

2uz COPs

ARP stud kit and cometic gaskets.

Cams

I really want to do each upgrade and document the changes via dyno. Not enough real world info on what you get out of each mod on these motors.

If the motor goes pop at any point i'll do a built one.

also its a non intercooled setup as i really don't want to interfere with the bonnet

Has he thought of running a water/meth spray to get the temps down?

Water meth is a good thing for cooling and power that's for sure. the problem is with the reliability of the system long term, and the degree of failure that results from something as simple as a poor nozzle spray. At some point there always seems to be a lean out, closely followed by a dead engine. A few years ago i followed a very reputable workshop really get into the whole water meth thing with awesome results, but within a year admitted it was a mistake and no longer uses water meth.

Diesels are another matter though as a lean out on a diesel is not a bad thing.

interesting points. water meth injection has been around for a very long time. i find failures hard to believe with some of the new kits out. They all look like very nice bit of kits.

also if there is failure for any reason modern aftermarket ecu can apply a boost cut to ensure you don't pop something.

you can use two inputs.. Air temp. i'll be adding a sensor to the lower manifold after the blower. if Intake temps go above a certain point either limit the engine or apply boost cut.

Also have the ecu itself trigger the injection based on inlet temps. So no wasteful usage.

Alot of kits just boost reference which in my eyes is simply not precise enough

Whilst when it first goes on i'll only pulley it for 6-7psi the charge temps should be more than fine. will add the water/meth as a precaution.

Once i have the wolfv550 then i'll pulley it for 14-16psi and go for gold.

Yep modern ecus can do some cool things that's for sure. You might have to run the water meth triggering off boost as running it off intake temps would be a bit hard to tune a map for. The wolf is a bit of an oddball ecu, if you have someone in mind that you want to tune it go for it, if not there aren't many tuners who like them, or are willing to tune them. Have a look over the new haltech elite stuff or even adaptronic if you're not completely sold on the wolf. I look forward to you bolting the charger on, man you will have some fun then!

Edited by oh what a nissan feeling!

Wolf is pretty much only thing around around that will control the auto that i'm aware of. Well EMTRON can do it but they start at 3k and no one in adelaide can tune em.

I'm now also looking at Spitronics.. Alot cheaper has all the functionalities and they make a TCU. An ecu that'll do sequential ignition and injection. Has all the inputs and outputs of the 'BIG' names ecu. and TCU etc works out to $1400.., south african made. seems to be very popular there and in europe with tons of success stories. Not many Dyno read outs though. I may decide to give the little guy a chance. Been speaking directly to the guy whos bringing them all in to australia.

Plus seems to be a fair chunk of online support.

My main thing with picking ECU is trans control. i REALLY don't want to manualise it. especially since i'm running a b&M ratchet. too clunky for daily duties IMO

sway bar in finally. fouls on the radiator badly so we've had to space it up a good 20mm. remake the mounts etc.

the bushes are shocking. tighten brackets up and it squishes them out. i'll give it to pedders later on to see what they can do for it.

All in all i'll never buy another kmac product again.

also to add to it. the sway bar only just fits the car. wont really know till its driven but i believe on full bump the sway bar is going to bind on the chassis ever so slightly. really not happy. According to kmac this bar wasnt a custom type deal it was an off the shelf type item back in the day.

tail shaft is in. trans is filled. it selects gears just fine.

facing all the exhaust flanges as they kept blowing gaskets. turns out they were pretty warped. surprising any of them sealed at all.

re rego this weekend hopefully.

20160907_163012.jpg

also thought of a fix for my back brakes. the hilux diff is fractionally shorter than original. did the ma71 conversion to it.

put car together. found out later that on full bump the back of the caliper just knicks the chassis. was going to get a bigger bump stop or space it down so i can't hit but up on the hoist we came up with a solution.

basically i'm going to remove a section of the backing plate. re design the caliper bracket and move the caliper around the rotor downwards to give me the clearance i need.

simplest solution without having to either go back to drums. convert a longer diff. or notch the chassis.

20160907_151952.jpg

car has rego again.

ran the car up on the rollers again with brand new trans.. after doing about 700kms mind u.

new trans goes really well. feels nice and strong. converter feels good.

made an extra 7kw over the last run.

so now she on 147kw atw.

the shifting is lightning quick. money well spent. provided it goes the distance.

New sway bar has definitely improved the boatiness of the car. Decent quality shocks are the next step..

• 3 weeks later...

Took the bitch to the drags. Best i could get out of it was a 14.9 I'm having an issue where it'll hold second for way too long. When i knock it into Drive it'll hold second. Revving and revving and not changing. Can feel losing valuable time there.

Considering manualising it until i have funds for an aftermarket ecu.

Anywho. non of that matter. SAPOL gave her a lovely window sticker.

She's off the road until it gets engineered.

Engineer has come and had a look at it and love the conversion. Only wants me to change a few bolt grades and add a washer here and there.

So as soon as i have the thousands of $$ handy it can go straight through.