Steering Rack Removal

Senith

Hey guys,

I'm currently working on replacing the steering rack in my ae71, and ive quickly found out that 3 of the 4 bolts holding the steering rack (and bushings) in place are a real pain in the ass, especially with limited tools. The rachet fouls on almost everything.

How was your experience with it? If you guys have done it, did you remove the starter? Did it involve alot of swearing and patience? Let me know how you guys have gone about it. Also if theres a topic posted elsewhere similar to this please let me know.

Cheers

Members dont see this ad

I pulled the steering rack out of my old ke70 (4kc, not 4ac like yours), and managed to do it without removing anything else.

Wasn't the most friendly job ever, but i don't recall having any major dramas? but removing the starter shouldn't be a big job either way. Just remember to disconnect the battery first before touching the wires, if you short the main positive of the starter to ground it will give you a heck of a fright and probably blow the fusable link/fuse thing.

I dunno what your tool issue is, but i bought one of every 1/2 socket extension including the swivel one at the local shop (just the el cheapo brand). It's nice to have lots of options with extensions.

Edited by ke70dave

Just updating that ive taken out the old and fitted the new. On a 3ac (swapped in by last owner) there was a bracket held by both the bellhousing and engine which got in the way of everything. Once this was out it was alot easier to get the ball rolling. Also the d bushing in the superpro rack bushing kit (SPF2998K) is a real pain to seat properly and screw the clamp over. With persistence abd some multigrips it went in, screwing from both the back and front. Also, leaving the other circular bushing loose helped seat it better. Hope this may help someone!

post-22128-0-88641200-1437360501_thumb.jpg

I havent driven it yet as the battery is flat haha, but even moving it around the garage theres significantly less play. The old rack and inner outer tie rods left a good quarter turn of play, and taking it out they were flopping around hopelessly. expecting a big improvement but we'll see!