4K Carbie

bulz005

Hi guys I'm new to the group and in desperate need of help. I have a 4k Corolla motor from a ke 70. If I drive the car for about 25km's driving at 80kph and turn the car off. If I go to start it, it won't start. It will wind to the point where it loses battery power. All gaskets have been done, engine and radiator flushed,new radiator hoses,new coil,new fuel pump, points and condenser done and spark plugs checked.

If I wait for the car to cool down for about an hour for everything to cool down it will start. This has been going on for about nine months now and no one can tell me what to do to fix it.

The car has been to auto electricians, to engine rebuilders to mechanics only to come home after weeks beening at these places to not being fixed because they don't know.

Please can someone help? Thanks Trish

Edited by bulz005

Members dont see this ad

When you next turn it off from warm watch the fuel filter for five minutes. One of my KE70s boils the fuel from the residual heat in the motor and pushes the petrol back out of the pump, out of the filter and back down the line.

Then the dry pump can't suck fuel until it has all cooled down and vacuumed the fuel back along the line.

An alternative is to pull the fuel line to the carb off the pump and crank the motor over to see if fuel is being delivered at the next time it won't start. ...or take the aircleaner lid off and look down the throat while you open the throttle on the carb. The pump jet shold squirt a jet of fuel down the carb throat while you watch.

These will tell you if there is fuel in the carb, in which case the problem is elsewhere.

Sometimes coils or condensors can break down from heat, but that is pretty rare.