Ajps Vs T3 Coilovers

Taz_Rx

So tax return its in lol....

Seriously looking into converting to ae86 struts in the 55. I actually have a hsd kit in the shed for 55 struts but the old issue of shock choice is one problem, then brake upgrades is the other. I love the look of the new 'big daddy' t3 Wilwood kit (now has vented rotors for anybody who hasn't looked in a while). So thinking 86 is probably the way to go.

The 2 kits I'd like opinions/experience on is the pre-fab ajps and t3 kits. For the sake of an accurate comparison both are available with kyb agx shocks, so I'll work with those prices.

Ajps are $1390, plus I don't have exchange struts so I'm up for another $245. then again for the sake of a fair comparison the t3 kits have stub axle bracing, ajps charge $70 a pair for this.... So all up we're talking $1705 plus freight.

On the other hand the t3 kit is us$795, so with todays exchange rate au$1084. Rather than a surcharge for not supplying exchange struts, they offer $100 store credit if you can, which us good for an internation customer. I realise freight from the us is going to be a bit more than from Adelaide, maybe $200...(I'll find out exactly how much) but that still makes then around $500 cheaper than the ajps option.

From a customer service point of view I've read good things about both Dave and Gabe.

Thoughts?

Please also remember this is the pre-fab t3 struts I'm talking about, not the bolt on Coilover sleeve kit everybody bags out.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a pretty good XT setup with HSD weld ons for about 1500. Only issue is the lack of base height adjustability.

Have you considered a pre made coilover set that you weld the stub axle on to? Powered By Max, BC etc?

If I did it again that'd be the better option, run a XT stub axle which gives you a lot of brake upgrades on the cheap.

Even the twin pot sumitomo calipers I used were fantastic for street driving. but it opens up shit like hilux or even land cruiser brakes.

Personally I think base height adjustable is a better option. No need for helper/keeper springs. Set your car to the desired height with that adjustment and have the coilover winding option for track days.

I even had old HSD rear coilovers in the rear (minus springs and shit) and used them as base height adjustable shocks. They had 8 degrees of damper too.

Does unsprung weight play a part in this? You will be getting a lot more Kg banging up and down on the end of the strut in the same weight car. Moreso if you fid larger rims and tyres.

I was wandering around the wreckers looking for light, small ventilated discs to use on stock struts yesterday. Suzy Swift or Lancer seem the most likely, something we can still fit behind 13" or 14" wheels with stockish calipers. Sadly the FWD designs are so different to an old Corolla now.

+1 for base height adjustable.

You can also keep your springs captive/add spring preload and maintain good suspension droop while lowering your car on base height adjustables, you cannot do this easily on normal height adjustable coilovers.

I've been down the weld-on route twice and I wouldn't do it again. I'd go Shockworks base height adjustable AE86 coilovers if I could afford it. BCs also seem to be alright, very high spring rates though.

Have done a bit of research into the base height adjustables. The powered by max and BC kits look good, biggest problem with either is the fact they come in a full kit of front and rears. Being for the 55 I just don't need the rear ones. Suppose I could get the whole kit and them sell off the rear stuff. Getting ae86 stuff would also mean I need different camber tops...and steering arms...and hubs...and brakes lol.

Price wise the cheaper BC kits are cheaper than the bilstien fitted ajps front only struts!

I haven't been able to find much info yet on the different series of BC's yet though. Any body got any info in that respect?

I think you want to choose based on shock absorber.

I never had a problem with correct length non base adjustable.

I dunno what the shocks are like in the brands you mention but id be inclined to diy some struts around some good known shocks, bilstein, koni or even start with some kyb (cheap), with the option to upgrade later. Ive had too many expensive branded coilovers/shocks that have had bad shocks.....

The sw20 rear kyb excel g shocks are like $200/pair new.

The diy option will cost you more though.

So quick update on my progress with this. Ajps and t3 are now out the window lol.

After a bit more research and a couple of phone calls I'm now tossing up between BC and HSD.

I found I can in fact get either in fronts only.

BC's - The guy on the phone at just jap was really helpful and accommodating. For BR series with spindles I'm looking at $850. I can't get them without camber tops a bit cheaper but he said he could swap them out for any other tip I ask for. Mention the old 'file one hole to make s13 tops fit' and he said it wouldn't be a problem to swap the ae86 ones out for s13. Freight is included in the price. BC also have replace shocks readily available as well as different rate replacement springs for $80.

HSD - old mate at otomoto answered my questions but was far less enthusiastic and helpful than just Jap. Price for a front only set of mono's would be $750 + $59 iirc for freight. A set of RCA's is also included in the price. I can't swap out the camber tops for s13 with them but I can get universal blanks instead. The HSD tops don't look quite as nice (as in amount of adjustment as well as cosmetic) as the BC's though. They don't have replacement shocks listed on the website and new springs are $100. I'm also not a huge fan of the fact the damper adjuster hands off a tube on the bottom of the strut rather than in the top like the BC's.

So yeah, the HSD's are cheaper inc freight, there's also the added saving that RCA's are included. I don't want to base my decision on price only though.

Would love some opinions/criticism/praise on either?

I would never buy a packaged set Id make my own from a series of street origin upgrade parts so its legal looking at a glance. None of the options you're looking at have bigger stubs so they all don't really interest me personally. At the end of the day do you want to do what everyone else does or do you want to take the opportunity to design something new and make some modifications that are unique to your tastes and requirements?

I'm normally very much a diy type of guy who likes to do something different - you only need to look in my engine bay to see that.

In this case though I just think I'm going to get a much better proven package and better bang for buck than if I were to try and build something myself.

I really want to start using the car for some club days, hill climbs etc so would also like some tune ability in the package.