Ke20 Lsd Diff.?

saveit

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum. Have been reading a lot in here lately though. I'm from Denmark and i have bought a Corolla KE20 rally car, which are to be converted in to a Historic track race car (picture attached).

I have read about different options for a limited slip differential, but i never seem to find any clear answer to what will work and what is do-able. Can anyone tell me more about what to do to get an LSD diff installed in my KE20?

Stefan

post-23359-0-33411100-1440311075.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Hi Stefan,

Welcome aboard. Lucky boy with a KE20 in that condition, and we're all jealous of a workshop that biggggg !

Trust someone on here that has done a LSD in a KE20 can give you some suggestions & advice.[[]

P.S. Keep the pictures coming.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Use a completely different diff from another car....

You might find something in Japan if you have enough money, but it would have been hand-made at TRD 40years ago I expect. The most likely one would be a T-series out of a later Corolla or Celica or whatever which would need the mounts changed.

Then $1500 for an OS-Giken LSD.

Here's our T-series

http://www.ae86drivi...eries-diff-info

Good luck-

PS- do the cheap man's method, weld fill a couple of teeth in the spider gears and run that. If you don't weld the teeth together like most people do it will give you a 1/4turn before it locks, enough to help it turn in.

Edited by altezzaclub

Cheapest way to do it is source a T series 6.7inch housing from a TE27 in Japan. They come up occasionally and don't generally cost too much.

This will bolt straight in and take a centre from an AE86. Lots of ratios and aftermarket centres. Of course you would need to modify the rear flange on the tailshaft.

Otherwise you need to cut something down to size and move the leaf spring mounts etc. Judging by your shed, you may well have the expertise and equipment to do just that!

TA2x. RA2x, RA4x, AE86. Whatever you can access.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help. The diff situation has been put on hold due to the first test drive of the car today. When driving there is a noticeable whining noise which seems to come from the driveline. This leads me to think that there must be an LSD of some kind in the car. At least there is not reason to disturb you with this matter until this has been investigated by myself.

In the meantime i will open another topic about suspension.

Look for a Celica ta22 or a Carina ta12/14 T-series diff as they`re same width as ke3 and flared vertion of te27

Some early ta22 have d series and some ta 12 have s series so know what to look for.

Will need leaf spring Mounts and driveshaft shortening tho but lsd heads are available as mentioned.

Might get a lsd for Your original diff from finland . Will post a link if I remember.. What engine`s in it ?

Its a lovely dream, but sadly I usually find whines come from worn bearings or teeth. An LSD should be just as silent as a stock one.

Jack up one wheel and see if it spins, or just drop the clutch on some gravel.

Good luck!

So if I always leave 2 black stripes when I smoke the tires it's limited slip right? I'm getting a scream at certain speeds less if under load that I can't tell where it's from, diff or trans...put new bearings in diff no change.

post-3326-0-83406900-1441748789_thumb.jpg

Some guts from a previous one...note the broken tooth on the pinion.

Edited by CorollaNut68