Electrical Help Please Ke70

Hi guys I came a cross a old 1981 Toyota corolla 1.3GL 4K still in running condition. I bought it sorted out some engine problems it had now I am stuck with the Wiring I have downloaded all the wiring diagrams i could find on this forum and on the internet. I am not a mechanic or anything of the sort I don't know much about cars or it electrical and can't even make out the diagrams as my rolla is right hand drive and some of the wires on the diagrams does not match up to mine.

I am having issues with all my lights, headlights, indicators, dash lights, stoplights, reverse light and even the number plate lights in not working.

I replaced all the fuses(new) i could find on all the fuse boxes all three fuse boxes on in the engine bay one in the dashboard and the one the side wall panel next to my excel pedal.replaced all the bulbs, checked if they were all earth properly as i read in other posts, still no luck. however the dash lights came on green in color when i put the lights on side indicators started working but flashing rapidly, and it also shows the blue high beam light on the dash when i switch it to brights. but no lights are working. So now i am sitting with any front or rear light only a green lit dash cluster and side indicators.

Please if anyone could explain to me what is wrong and how i can fix this I will be great full. I also tried taking it to a shop to repair but they want to charge me a arm and leg to fix this for that kinda money i could buy another one lol :elvis:

post-23413-0-99904500-1441199925_thumb.jpg

post-23413-0-46978900-1441199928_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Sounds like a bad contact somewhere. If I had the car in front of me I could fix it, but I have't been back to Kaapstad for a few years now...

On the lights, power is fed from the relay via the red/black wire to the bulbs, then each filament feeds back to the dipswitch through red/green & red/yellow. The dipswitch earths one of the other, or both for flashing the lights.

You need to get a cheap multimeter and see that you have the circuit from the relay, through the light bulb and up to the steering column plug. You could rig up a 12V test light and two longish lengths of wire to feed 12V from the battery into the R/G wire and pick it up at the column plug where you earth it through the test light. Get a needle or something as a probe to stick into the ends of the plugs and put an alligator clips onto the needle.

Its really just a matter of doing that for the circuits that aren't working properly. There will be bad connections somewhere, adn from the list of things that aren't working there is more than one problem..

Here is how the dipswitch works, you may have problems in the steering column that will affect lights/indicators/horn/wipers, they all go up there through a couple of plugs.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/58878-how-to-fix-your-abysmal-headlights/page__st__30

Work your way through your wiring diagram checking that each wire does carry power to your test light/meter at the other end.

• Upvote 1

Hi altezaclub as you said.

"Sounds like a bad contact somewhere:" and it was not just one but the whole plug under the steering which all the wires was cut and soldered back together but the one who did it made a even bigger mess of what it was lol :down: so i had the take the whole wiring apart and start from scratch. now i got all my lights working :rocknroll: but my turn signals is blinking fast :wtf:replaced all the bulbs even tried an new flasher unit no luck. :bash:Brake lights work fine until night time when i need to switch on my lights, with the lights now switched on when i apply the brakes my right hand side dies instead of going brighter the left hand side works perfectly. what could this problem be.

my turn signals is blinking fast :

You don't have enough bulbs in the circuit. The greater the resistance, the slower it blinks. Are the indicators in the guards blinking as well as the ones in the bumper?? Are the back ones working properly? Right wattage bulbs??

The brake lights have a bulb in backwards. They have two pins sticking out from the stem, and in a single -element bulb like an indicator the pins are opposite each other. In a twin-filament bulb like a brake/tail bulb, the pins are not opposite one is high & one is low. If you are not careful when you put them in you can squeeze them in the wrong way around so you feed tail and brake at the same time.

So you're more than halfway there, just go over the brake light bulbs and wiring carefully, especially earth wiring, and check out the total wattage in the indicator circuit.

• Upvote 1

Hey i will have a look at the brake light but i'm pretty sure as i made sure not to put them in the wrong way could be a back earth as you said as i saw the previous owner made some new earth connections to the light could be one of those that is in the wrong place, as for the indicators as picked up when i fixed it that all of them are flashing but my left front bumper indicator was connected to the indicator on the left fender could this be the reason for the fast flashing if so i need to find out which plug should feed the bumper indicator.

dude thanks for all your help really Appreciate it :thumbsup: :hail: , as to if i was to get someone to fix it, it would be an endless job as they would find something else wrong and would end up spending more on fixing the lights than what i did now.

do you know anything about how the wipes work as i see it is also not working as in dead don't even know where to begin with this buying a new wiper motor would be useless as i don't know where it is or what it looks like could also just be another bad contact.

• 8 months later...

HI Guys

can anyone send me the diagram for the wire connector below the steering which color wire is for what and its purpose please indicators and light acting up again want to see if it is the wiring before i go the way of wiring in the relays on the lights. could just be a bad earth or loose connections again like last time but i want to rewire the whole thing and know which wire is for what.

I haven't seen a diagram for that, they don't draw circuits by plugs for old cars like they do for new ones. You'll ahve to chase tehw ire colours for each item up the column, the key, the lights, wipers, horn, whatever...

Here's the best diagram I've found, and if its not 2.28meg you'll have to pm me with an email address if Rollaclub cuts its size down.

post-7544-0-27914800-1463462644_thumb.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------

Yeah- Shoot me a PM, R'club trims it back to 190Kb, so its unreadable.

Edited by altezzaclub