Rocker Spacer Offer.

GJM85

Members dont see this ad

First 10 sets are cut and will start spinning tomorrow. I'll finish at least one set to show the finished product. At that point I will open for orders on the sales page. Taz will get the first set.

post-8643-0-69643500-1443604025_thumb.jpg

Id just like to say a few things here about where this all sort of started. I'd like to give recognition where it's due.

I was reading a article from '09 about a KP starlet a few weeks where the owner had purchased a good bit of original TRD KE series parts including stainless rocker spacers. Just like what's described in the TRD manual in the forum wiki.

Then more recently I picked up on a comment made by TOMMYS Ke 11 on Springersrolla thread about stupid questions. That's where I got the idea to make my own. From here Taz_Rx suggested I produce a few sets and offer them out. So here we are.

My dad past away on the 1st of the month after battling prostate cancer for the last 6 years. He was 68. He was an engineer and a machinist just like his Dad. He built chassis and drag cars and countless other things and I can thank him for my interest in corollas and combustion engines large and small.

He started his apprenticeship in his Aunt's fabrication shop back in '63. And he has kept the lathe he learnt on.

I'm going to be turning each of these spacers on his lathe. Just a drill bit, a few cutting bits, my vernier caliper and basic math. No special machines, no expensive tools. Just one at a time with what Dad tought me.

So, now you know these spacers aren't some easy money gimmick. I intend to produce these items the grass roots way for a reasonable price in reach of the people who will appreciate it most.

Edited by GJM85
  • Upvote 2

I finished the first official set today but i didn't get as far with the rest as I'd hoped. I sorted out a bit of a production method with the help of my brothers so hopefully I can get the other 9 sets done for next week.

This is the finished product.

post-8643-0-36055800-1443694495_thumb.jpgpost-8643-0-97422400-1443694568_thumb.jpgpost-8643-0-02954500-1443694661_thumb.jpg

Hi Gavin ! Just like to start by saying sorry to read about your dads passing in your earlier post but it is great to read where you are using his old lathe and he has passed his talents on to you :thumbsup: just a heads up when we made our spacers up we used brass nominal bore tube which would save you a lot of time but with that said the ones above look great . As they say " job well done is a job worth doing " and you are doing a great job and don't be surprised if you don't end sending these all over the country/world :2thumbs: . Cheers:- Stuart :wave:

Hey Stuart,

Thanks you for your condolences. Hardest part of life is losing family & it's something we all must endure at some point.

I looked at the brass tube and the closest size was 3/4 16G (19.05 ODx15.79 bore). This would have definitely been cheaper and easier to put out the finished product. But the design I've chosen put the overall diameter of the spacer at 20mm with a 16mm bore which gave me the extra wall thickness to cut chamfered inner and outer edges whilst maintaining good contact area on the ends.

Smoother and larger contact area means the cast iron and the brass are less likely to form friction points and the chamfers should still allow plenty of lubrication between the 2 surfaces.

The magic of brass. Resistant to friction, self healing, soft yet durable.

Edited by GJM85

This is something that, in hindsight, I should have said at the very beginning. I feel it's very important for everyone who has purchased a set of spacers or intends to.

Please understand that I am not responsible for your engine. What you do to your engine is your responsibility & I am in no financial position to be warranting this product or your engine should you choose to use it. In saying that, I am using these spacers, the exact same I have offered to you, without complications.

Rocker spacers may or may not be a necessary modification for your engine. It's up to you if you choose to use them and if your unsure, Google is your friend. I

After this post I will do my best to explain how to install these spacers and the rocker gear to avoid complication in valve train.

For those who have already payed for a set of spacers and are now concerned that these spacers are not for you, please contact me and we can organise a refund.

Many thanks

Gavin

Cheers mate. It was a bit of an after thought. The old, what if's?

I just spent almost an hour writing up a bit of a 'how to' and the bloody page refreshed. So I a bit devo about that.

The first lot are packed for post any how and I'll have the mrs at the post office tomorrow. I'll have another go at the little write up tomorrow arvo.

Edited by GJM85

The spacers I’ve made are not guaranteed to fit perfectly in your rocker assembly. There are literally too many variables for me to be able to turn out the perfect set without having your head and assembly on my bench to work off.

The big issue to look out for when using spacers is binding. Binding occurs when the pushrod/rocker/valve move out of alignment. The camshaft and the valve spring apply load to the rocker which is transferred to the shaft. True alignment will minimise resistance, wear and valve train noise. Poor alignment will cause the rockers and shaft to wear unnaturally & will also create a friction point against the spacer.

With that, the rocker spacers should be shimmed to minimise lateral movement of the rockers on the shaft and to maintain alignment.

Firstly you need a mark or datum where your rocker posts sit naturally before you remove assembly.

Remove the assembly and dismantle it making sure to maintain the order of the components on the shaft.

Reassemble the whole lot with the spacers

Refit the rocker assembly with the rocker posts in their original positions.

Use a feeler gauge to measure the total clearance at each spacer. This will determine the shim size you’ll require.

As an example, I had .023” @ 1st spacer, 0.025”@2nd & 0.025” @ the 3rd. So I’m using a 0.020”(0.5mm) brass shim at each spacer.

I understand shims are bloody hard to find. Especially 20mmOD/16mmID shims at varying thicknesses. So I’m going start supplying 0.5mm shims with spacer sets. A number of sets have already been posted so I’ll get the shims out to you as soon as possible.

Edited by GJM85