4Afe Low Temperature Gauge Reading

Fishtank

So my temp gauge on the dash reads about one point up from cold during normal running conditions (ie driving at 60kmh or over).

In stop start traffic and only on hot days will the temp gauge make it up to the middle of the gauge. On colder days the gauge won't even read above about 1/4 in stop start traffic.

Is this a bad thing or a dodgy temp sensor that should be replaced?

Will running "cold" have any negative effect on the engine or fuel efficiency? I get 500-600 kms per tank doing roughly 50/50 city/highway driving so it seems pretty good. (7-8L/100km)

Thanks!

Members dont see this ad

Cool thanks for the replies. It was my nannas car and grandmas before that so I doubt its been removed unless they took it to a shonky mechanic. Lol. Probably needs a radiator flush anyway looks like its just water in there.

If I search will I find any good tutorials on servicing/changing the thermostat and also the coolant?

~$50-60 will get you the Gregorys manual, you'll save that in labour costs on the very first home job you do, everything else is pure savings (and the Gregorys for this model is quite good compared to a lot of the others).

If you've ever poked a car with a spanner before then you probably wouldn't even need a manual for the thermostat change, everything is pretty much in plain sight and easy to get to.