5K Low Oil Pressure

Viterbo

In March of this year I changed my 4K to a newly rebuilt 5K.

Since the beggining that I have intermittent oil pressure light when the engine is hot. It doesn't happen all the times, it does more when I push it a bit.

Changed oil pump, changed pressure sensor but it didn't solve my problem..

it only happens at idle speed, I usually pull the choke a bit to increase 50 or 100 rpms and it stops.

What can be giving me low pressure? I hear a "tac tac tac" noise when the engine is hot, it seems to come somewhere near the distributor and I was told that the this noise can be related to the low pressure issue...

Any help?

Thanks!

Members dont see this ad

Wouldn't a lifter problem give you an odd tappet gap?? Easy enough to check.

Can you push the lifter pistons down against the oil in a 5K?? In my old Armstrong Siddeley you pushed the pushrods right down by levering on the rocker with a big screwdriver, and set the tappet gap to 90thou. When you started it it rattled for a minute then settled down. Any jammed lifter showed up staight away.

For bearings you could take the bonnet off, lift the motor and drop the sump for a look. Pain in the arse job, but a little quicker than pulling the whole motor out and stripping it.

I don't know that filter, but pressure issues would depend on where the sensor is.

Assuming the sensor is on the motor side of the filter and release valve, so it reads the actual pressure going around the motor, then when the filter is blocked it will read the pressure from the release valve. There might not be emough flow to keep the pressure up at idle, but its fine when the revs are up.

Can you fit an oil pressure gauge to it? If its 5psi below normal all through the range it would likely turn the light on at idle. The Girls KE70 has the light flicker on at hot idle if the revs drop below 1000rpm. Doesn't worry me as there is no stress on the motor at that time.