5K Low Oil Pressure

Viterbo

Members dont see this ad
When hot I hear a clear "tac tac tac" coming from around the distributor, it's probably all related

Yes, the oil pressure may not be enough to keep that lifter pumped up to the correct tappet gap. That's why I wondered if you had an odd tappet gap in one cyl.

But that should be an effect of low oil pressure, not a cause.

• 4 weeks later...

Bearing is destroyed, all the white metal worn off it I'll bet.

Motor out, crank out check the mains and big end bearings. Get the crank ground if it needs it (which it will after the tac tac tac noise) and buy undersized bearings. Put it all back together...

Option B is the big rebuild- head off, pistons out as well as crank, check everything and hopefully just give it a hone and new rings as well as new bearings.

Yes, nowhere near as bad as I expected.

Does the one that was loose look worse than the others? I expected one that knocks to be down to the copper layer.

The crank should be fine if that is the problem.

You should measure the clearances with Plastigauge.

Google it- I'd link it but.... The Administrator Does Not Allow Links To This Website...

You can check the main bearings in the caps easily enough, they just come off, but the timing chain will hold the crank in and make it difficut to get the block side bearings out.

my rod caps have a huge gap, you can feel the gap when moving them by hand and you can hear the "tac tac tac" noise...

That's quite suprising looking at those bearings. Even if the bolts were loose the movement would still mark the white metal.

There is something not right here...

Connecting rod side clearance 0.11-0.21mm.

Connecting rod bearing oil clearance 0.024-0.048mm max limit 0.10mm.

Have you cut open your oil filter and lay out the internals on the bench to see if there is any metal in it.

Your distributor shaft is not moving up or down to far.

Just some simple thinks to check.

If none of these you need to start measuring as all ready suggested.

rob