7K + 5Speed Into Ke30

Samwich

Hey guys,

Picking up a 7k, Carby, Auto that has been in a KE55 already (So sump has already been modified)

I have a KE30 with a 3k + 4speed in currently and am wondering what I need to do.

- There is a 5speed for sale out of a KE70 (4k engine)

*What would I need to do to make this fit the 7k engine in my KE30?

*Mounts?

*Tail shaft?

*How much further back will the gearstick be?

-This 7k is carby (32/36) weber.

*Will the wiring be the same as my 3k?

anything else id need to do?

Thanks, Sam

Members dont see this ad

To make the KE70 5 speed (or a 4 speed) fit the 7K, you will need to fit your 3K flywheel & clutch (get a new one) onto the 7K and install a spigot bearing in the end of the 7K crank.

The shifter will be somewhat further back and will require trimming, but not enough to foul on the body strengthening member.

Anecdotally people seem to get away with shimming up the engine mounts so the wider 7K sits a little higher on the standard crossmember, or using some combination of Town Ace/Corolla block mounts and engine mounts. In this case - coming from a KE55, it probably has something that fits already

Wiring will be essentially the same, just plug like for like. You may want to fit the engine with your KE30 Corolla temp sender if it doesn't have one already, as a 7K one will probably read hot all the time even when it isn't.

Edited by Mechanical Sympathy

Cheers for the information.

He was running an autobox in his KE55 so id need to sort clutch and flywheel out anyway.

Will a 3,4,5k (assuming all the same?) bolt up directly? or will it need modifying?

Regarding the sensors, ive read that the speedo doesn't work on a KE70 5speed either. I will most likely be building a all aftermarket gauge dash anyway.

Either the 3K or 4K clutch/flywheel setup will do.

Just swap your existing 3K one over as it will be half the weight of a 5K or 7K flywheel

Nonetheless a 5K clutch (and presumably a 7K) is too large to freely spin inside a K40/K50 gearbox bellhousing.

I'd suggest that a KE70 gearbox speedo drive should be the same as a KE30 one.

• 1 month later...

So ive finally given up trying to locate a 5speed. I have been f#cked around with 5 sales now -_-

So.... Query... I assume my 4speed and my 3k flywheel should bolt directly up to the 7k?

And I assume if I by a new 3k/4k clutch, it should also be fine?

Can someone please confirm this for me?

Regards, Sam

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unless you're doing freeway driving 4 speed is the way to go. 4th gear is 1:1. My understanding is that 5 speed is not as strong because they crammed one more pair into same case so the cogs are made smaller. I could be wrong