Porting Nissan's Sr20

oldeskewltoy

Members dont see this ad

Like hot cams and other mods, you lose the bottom end as the air velocity is slower through a larger cross-section port. Once the air is moving faster the flow picks up more and more.

What is amazing is how much faster an opening valve gains flow. At small openngs it is doubling the flow as the opening doubles, but at the top end it is not adding such a large percentage.

050=44

2X050=2X44

3X050=3X44 minus a few

but

7X050=only 4X44 plus 30

8X050=4X44 plus 36

So a cam & port that gets the valve really working as it opens can add a lot of extra air.

On a sort-of related topic... Why have auto engineers managed 30 years of such stunning advances in flow using swirl techiques etc, but over 100years plumbing engineers still can't design a bloody toilet that flushes properly every time!

altezzaclub is close enough....

A few things to remember. The flowbench reads every 2-3 seconds, it measures airflow to the TENTH. After 18-24 readings, 6 are randomly chosen to provide a final averaged reading. Additionally in this test, the same 4 valves were used in all testing, they were simply moved from one chamber to the next. This means the low lift readings will have some discrepancies because the seat, and valve have not been mated to each other.

Now for the exhaust side......

Exhaust_port_comparison__3_to__2_raising_the_roof.jpg

The control exhaust port is on the right, the "VE"-ized DE exhaust port on the left... just look at how much less those exhaust gasses have to bend.... :no:

Our 3 test subjects are ready...

control2C_within2C_without_showing_port_roof_change.jpg

And a view directly into each

port_direct_view_2-1-3.jpg

now to get them on the bench - calibrated for exhaust flow

Exhaust numbers....

#2 control

.050 - 33.1

.100 - 74.1

.150 - 110.0

.200 - 137.9

.250 - 151.7

.300 - 157.9

.350 - 161.6

.400 - 163.8

.450 - 165.9

#1 inside the lines - this is the exhaust port that stays within the original DE gasket shape

.050 - 33.2

.100 - 73.4

.150 - 111.5

.200 - 139.2

.250 - 157.3

.300 - 166.5

.350 - 173.0

.400 - 176.8

.450 - 181.7

.500 - 184.0

#3 outside the lines - This is the port shaped to fit the VE gasket

.050 - 36.7 (checked twice for I thought this an anomaly)

.100 - 76.6

.150 - 113.2

.200 - 140.9

.250 - 161.2

.300 - 173.1

.350 - 182.9

.400 - 190.0

.450 - 195.5

.500 - 200.2

.550 - 204.0

On #2 - the control, it is quite obvious that the flow really was hampered once the cam hit .300 lift, there are additional flow rises with lift rises, but greatly hampered and basically hits a wall with the next 3 lifts points delivering less than 10 cfm change for all three of those points combined.

On #1 - inside the lines, it is ported with extensive work while retaining the original outlet size and shape. At .300 lift there is nearly 8cfm more flow then the stock head @ the same lift, and where the stock head dies fast, the inside the lines port is still showing modest gains as it approaches .500 lift

On #3 - outside the lines, or ported to the VE gasket, there is simply MASSIVE improvement. The improvements are electrifying. A gain of 18% while retaining the original valve size!

Edited by oldeskewltoy

I have a new client whose SR20VE I'll begin porting next week (if all goes well on delivery to me).

head_at_arrival____.jpg

head_at_arrival3smaller.jpg

Disassembly begins.......

It doesn't look too bad.....

can_side_before_disassembly_smaller.jpg

but since I know nothing of this head prior to Saturdays's delivery..... I''ll be as observant as possible during disassembly

I began on the exhaust side... the cam comes out easily enough...

cam_side_during_disassembly1smaller.jpg

and I'm seeing more crud as parts are removed, below shows the underside of a cam cap, and the exhaust side oiling tube... both show a fair amount of build up

normal_cam_cap_and_oiling_tube.jpg

Removing the intake side oiling tube shows a fair bit more crud that was under the tube...

cam_side_during_disassembly2smaller.jpg

I should be saying at this point that I'm following this post for disassembly - http://www.sr20-forum.com/ve/219-how-install-cams-springs-retainers-ve.html

So following the above post, I remove the 10mm Allen plug......

sludge2.jpg

eeeeew.... quite a bit of sludge here..... its a good thing this head, and all the hardware are getting cleaned, the head will also get pressure checked.

With the plug removed, the small bolts holding the rocker shaft removed, now the rocker shafts can be removed, freeing the rocker/VVT assembles for removal.

removing_rocker_shafts.jpg

Once the shafts are removed, and the rocker/VVT assemblies removed, valve removal can begin

valve_disassembly.jpg

all the exhaust valves are now pulled, and a fair amount of crud can be seen

cam_side_during_disassembly3smaller.jpg

I move to the intake side, and finish disassembly....

head_disassembled.jpg

Now, the rocker shafts are under the head, and they are resting on the rocker/VVT assemblies in their own baggies, on the right side of the block holding the valves, are the valve keepers..... So my question to you (reader) is... what is in the small bag on the left side of the valves, and how many are there??

More to come...... :D

So before I sent the head out to be clean and pressure checked, I took a pic of the chambers....

chamber_view_before_cleaning.jpg

Hmmmmm, I've got work to do in those chambers.... they aren't as "clean" as the DE chambers I worked last year....

here is a closer look @ one of the VE chambers...

showing_chamber_flaws__1.JPG

and from last year... a pair of DE chambers

sr20_chambers_3_polished_and_4_untouched_valves_black.jpg

So while the head is out getting cleaned and pressure checked, its time to clean the valves....

intake_valve_dirty2C_clean.jpg

While cleaning the valves, I thought there was something a bit odd. So I picked out an intake and exhaust valve from the DE head and viola.....

SR20_valve_measurement_int_and_exh_4_panel.jpg

The VE valves are smaller......????? The intake isn't considerably smaller, but the exhaust is nearly a full millimeter smaller....

More to come......... :D

I wasn't real happy with the head once it came back, there are some serious flaws in the chambers, VERY sharp edges!!

chamber_1_before_work.jpg

Note the seats are "deeper" then the DE head, the resulting machining have left us with sharp edges in the chambers.... not good. Sharp anything inside the combustion chambers may lead to detonation, aka ping. This wasn't a total surprise to me, I had trolled the net, and it seems many (most?) of the VE heads have the seats deeper in the head and the residual machining left behind.

Not only are they sharp, but they will cause havoc, as they disturb flow past them.

So this head will see extensive chamber work. Besides the flaws in the above view, we see that the intake short radius can be improved, and the exhaust large radius has been machined from the factory. Can anyone see anything else???

So this head will see extensive chamber work.

Chamber #1 as it goes through its transition

chamber_1.gif

It isn't obvious... but there is something missing..... anyone know whats missing?

... and no I don't mean the valves ;)

more to come....... :D

It isn't obvious... but there is something missing..... anyone know whats missing?

... and no I don't mean the valves ;)

more to come....... :D

The intake seats are missing a 3rd angle on the seats!!

chamber_1_before_work_annoted.jpg

The red arrows are pointing to the valve to seat contact points, on the exhaust side you can see the seat has 3 angles, but the intake seats only have 2 angles. We shall fix that later when we do the valve job.

#1 intake now re-worked, the short radius is smooth with no discernible edge from port floor to the edge of the valve seat, just one continuous curve

_1_short_radii_after.jpg

Each bowl has been opened up at 2 points to allow additional filling. Finally, the seat has been opened up to 88% of the valves diameter - 30.10mm from a nominal 29mm.

Each bowl has been opened up at 2 points to allow additional filling. Finally, the seat has been opened up to 88% of the valves diameter - 30.10mm from a nominal 29mm.

comparing_ported__1_to_unported__2_annoted.JPG

More to come...... :D

Edited by oldeskewltoy
  • Upvote 1

So, I've looked around and I'm having a tough time finding basic info. What I'm looking for is a reliable chamber volume measurement, as well as original deck(piston above/below deck) measurement. I've scanned a few online manuals, but chamber volume and deck were not part of the information.

Since I only have the head, I can at least get a chamber volume....

So I reassembled the as of yet untouched chamber 3 using the original valves from that chamber, and did a volume test on it

measuring_chamber__3_volume.jpg

and here is a reliable chamber volume for a stock untouched SR20VE chamber

measuring_chamber__3_volume_40_0cc.jpg

I also did a chamber test on #1 - the chamber shown above

measuring_chamber__1_volume.jpg

and the results.....

measuring_chamber__1_volume_40_5cc.jpg

So my chamber work adds about .5 cc to a chambers volume, that was about what I thought it would.

Finally.... I measured the heads thickness....

head_thickness_measurement_2_panel.jpg

... although 137.02 is confirmed(5.394"), there is a tiny amount of gasket residue, along with tool tolerances, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say an uncut SR20VE head measures 137mm.

More to come.... :D

So work begins on the exhaust seats-bowls-ports....

opening up the seat from a measured 24.9mm, to a measured 25.9

shaping_the_bowl_and_short_radius.jpg

by pushing the bowls out this far I was are able to remove the lip in the seat (seen @ the 12 o'clock position on the bowl on the right)

along with the lip, by pushing the bowls we are able to actually make a round bowl to fit a round seat

view_at_bowls_stock_and_open.jpg

Can you see the infringing areas where the bowl and seat meet on the unported side??

Here is a "creatively cropped" 2 panel to show continuity from seat, through the bowl, and out the port

_1_exhaust_bowls_and_ports_one_done2C_one_untouched_2_panel.jpg

and a final view showing a tight short radius, as well as the inner port walls

short_radius_on__1_exhaust.jpg

Top view was yesterday...

_1_exhaust_port_half_done_all_done_2_panel.jpg

Bottom view is as finished.

The finished exhaust port....

exhaust_ports_1_and_2_through_gasket.jpg

.... in comparison to #2's exhaust port, and in comparison to the VE gasket

and in so doing #1 chamber, and ports are now complete, now that I'm happy with the results...

_1_chamber2C_and_ports_from_exhaust_side.jpg

when I get back to work next week, the other 3 cylinders should go quickly...

so we end today with 1 down.... 3 to go

1_down_3_to_go_exhaust_ports.jpg

More to come.... :D

new valves.....

Supertech_SR20VE_valves_intake_and_Inconel_exhaust.jpg

The exhaust valves are Inconel - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inconel

SR20VE_valve_specs.jpg

The stem diameter of the new Inconel exhaust valves... 5.97mm

With the new valves... the spec is mid tolerance.... the old valves.... a wee bit loose ;)

What all of these specs, and measurements mean in the end....... No replacement valve guides needed.... woohoo.gif

A very telling photograph. Such a difference!

;)

ost-037.jpg

this head now carries an OST serial number ;)

a slightly different view.... this time from the intake side...

3_down_1_to_go_intake_side.jpg

3 down, 1 to go......

and a more familiar view.... the exhausts, now @ 3 down....

3_down_1_to_go_exhaust_side.jpg

more to come...... :D