Jump to content

Ke70 Grandma Auto


MartyJ
 Share

Recommended Posts

Had a few ke's before but never a registered one. So taking some parts from my 82 model to fix this APR 84 ive decided to build.

 

Picked this car up from Toowoomba with 225xxxkm's on the clock. Just a little 4k Auto. The interior is just immaculate! I fell in love with it and for $700 I couldn't complain. Log Books and receipts for the last 11 Years. The grandma took good care! Receipts showed she had only done 7000kms in those years and that the car was originally from South Australia.

 

Plans are to get her on the road. I have the parts to make it a 5 speed but I love getting a laugh out of people when I talk it up as having a 3 speed tri-matic haha.

 

Also could go with Quad headlights as I have those laying around as well but we will see!

 

 

 

Got started on the KE on Saturday just been. Took out the struts and LCA's with no dramas. Put the xt130 LCA's in and adjusted the caster arm to match. Problem was I couldn't release the tie rod end...

 

My mechanic helped me out yesterday (Monday) so I got those adjusted.

 

Everything was smooth again doing wheel bearings and cleaning up the rotors until I found out that the strut tops on the 82 model were 5mm different to the 84.. Oh well now I need to compress the spring and change the tops.

 

 

(Only thing changed since I got the car are the rims and tires as I sold the old jelly beans and bought MA61's with Yokohama Advan A50 Semi slicks!!!)

post-20977-0-00098200-1448324173_thumb.jpg

Edited by MartyJ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Members dont see this ad

Fitted the struts last night! sitting sweet. Right hand caliper was a little seized so I might rebuild them in the future with new pistons... or go AE86 Front struts.

Sent it off to get a wheel alignment 20min ago so that everything is perfect after installing extended LCA's.

Pictures of the camber will be up soon.

Edited by MartyJ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So update. Took it for a drive today... Wasn't the best. When I fitted the RHF caliper the piston was seized and became worse over the drive. Ended up locking onto the rotor and slowing my car down!

Engine working overtime started to overheat. Raced back to the workshop. Time to replace or rebuild calipers...

post-20977-0-63149900-1448601496_thumb.jpg

post-20977-0-45323300-1448601551_thumb.jpg

Edited by MartyJ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Took out the piston and gave it a bit of a clean up. Couldn't see any pits in it so greased it a bit and popped it back in. The rubber seal was broken but had a quoted price to get the rebuild kit of $75 for the pair of fronts.

 

Put it all back in working just fine!

 

Started replacing the rear wheel cylinders. Had to rush away so the work stopped for the day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a quick caveat for the viewers at home - never use petroleum-based grease on brake components, as this will rapidly destroy the rubber parts of your braking system. Use only silicon or synthetic lubricants specifically marked for use on brakes.

 

Only good things come out of Toowoomba.

Edited by Mechanical Sympathy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...