Tore's Ae86 Ground-Up Build

SM Hunter

Hey, as some of you may already know I have a coupple of other corolla projects, but i'v always wanted the 86 Trueno hatch.. so i figured i better get one before they become far too expencive...

I found a decent one in Danmark so i went to get it!

here are the pics form the listing

123626653_906_1024_0_0_0_0_6.jpg

123626683_906_1024_0_0_0_0_6.jpg

okay some specs, New doors, bootlid, hood, TRD ductail, "almost" rust free,

here are soe pics before he took it apart to rust weld it and remove the sunroof..

http://www.bilgaller...ta_corolla_ae86

annnnnd i got 3 4A-GEs aswell, 1 bluetop, 1 redtop 7 rib(atleast he told me it was the stronges one so i assume it was the 7 rib) and 1 4A-GZE in parts, also got 2 turbos and a couppel of intercoolers and a performance exhaust/extractor :)

the trip took about 36 hours and i only sleept like one or two so I'm exhausted right now...

had to protect the 86 from the salt on the road

6585da640085d4646e4fff8c15ca830b.jpg

at the ferry, had to take the cover off for the tolls and customs...

b92d5ae6b3ffbd77f315ed9fa418c4bc.jpg

9a8b15d756ff89fd2a73315baf5d3794.jpg

okay, so to get it into Norway i had to pay 630 AUD in toll/customs, the ferry cost like 500 and the car itself was 5000 AUD...

so then my plan is to dissasemble it totaly and sandblast it... then repaint, get new (poly) bushes, bearings, brakes etc then, i want to take the Levin front of and get a Trueno front end with a JDM bumper, got a zenki lip with the car, also got a TRD rear ductail so ill be adding that, the paintjob is going to be White panda, hoping to make it overrated, using some time and moeny on this one, she's a keeper! :P

also planning on getting a set of theese, 15x8 ET0, Rota RKR

I love them! RS watanabe lookalike

rkr_1580_4100_et0_mbronze_1_1.jpg

ill grap my DSLR camera and snap some pics next weekend, only mobile pics for now :)

Edited by SM Hunter

Members dont see this ad

Planning on register it as a normal road car :) yeah its a bit pricey but its worth it! the price will not come down and its only like 30 registerd AE86's in Norway so they are impossible to get hold of! atleast a almost rust free one like this!

TRD spoiler

aXR2Z0dH.jpeg

what kind of taillights

OEpZMUI4.jpeg

trading the fornt end for a Trueno one in the us :)

WVNYLzY0.jpeg

found a full polyurthane bushing kit in the boot!

U1BUYnA3.jpeg

Zenki front lip, going to keep this :)

Ujg3cm5z.jpeg

Edited by SM Hunter

put it on jack stands and started investegating for rust..

not bad!

291693e9da360557710ab4df2411456d.jpg

i need to replace the brakes, they have been sitting for 10 years or so.. the suspention also needs to be sandblasted and repainted, with new bushing and bearings!

704d00c057106cf163a891de9ce05741.jpg

i need to replace the brakes in the rear aswell, and strip/paint everything and fit with new bushes.. hopefully ill fit a LSD one day..

1071f0a57515bb09b924fedcff9a1325.jpg

this was the worst case of rust i found.. covered up with a matal plate the backyard way.. drilled it off.. was the same on the other side, also a small hole where the lower fender mount is under the door :)

32dc63744497050cbcf62d4fd79e3095.jpg

i just looove the stock steering wheel of the 86's, and the long travel gear stick, ill have to get a stock gear nob..

de4714999ab2d5852147477b71ffc7fa.jpg

Brought my DSLR camera to the shop..

V0Z3SWo5.jpeg

with the TRD wing

WjJ2MEp0.jpeg

without

UGM5ZnAx.jpeg

replaced that ugly gear nob with an original one i had laying arround.

L1F4ZFNI.jpeg

330,000 km's on the clock

bk1PR0p6.jpeg

seems like its been crashed once.. not too bad and the fix is not too easy to spot..

anZJL1h6.jpeg

can't wait to take the suspention out and sand blast it!

R0ZHbHZH.jpeg

YmhYeUsv.jpeg

rust

MnM2TmJr.jpeg

really good here!

Z2l0b09o.jpeg

someone has welded in a new plate behind where the bumper sits

YU1OVVg2.jpeg

and i had to fix the clutch on my daily.. the slave pump was not releasing, so the clutch was stuck sometimes..

RHhna2ph.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dropped the rear end out

elRZMzJR.jpeg

i don't know if its a LSD or not? both wheels turn the same direction when i spun the tailshaft?

S2ZNNHBW.jpeg

Got all the shit out of the car

UEhtQjhX.jpeg

UkxjanBU.jpeg

someones been here, some work left..

SGVNcVJ0.jpeg

not much left to take apart

ZmhkM2Ex.jpeg

started stripping the paint of the front end.. going back to bare metal for the front and the underside...

MjNTWE4w.jpeg

Hold the driveshaft steady and turn one wheel. Usually the other wheel turns backwards, but with an LSD it will try to turn it forwards and turn the driveshaft too. If you hold one wheel and not the drivehaft, it will take a bit of grunt to force one wheel to turn against the one being held.

Mind you, the best is to take the back off and look inside, while you check for bits of metal in the bottom and chipped teeth!

This is getting to be a pretty serious rebuild! It will be too nice to drive on gravel when you finish!

hmm yeah ill probly take the diff cover off :) haha this is not getting anywhere near a gravel road when its finished! only gravel road its going to roll on is my driveway in 5km/h.... going to scrape the underside and paint it so i guess its going to be taken care of :)

I'm going with the panda look, thinking of painting the whole body white then painting the black stripes, that way i have a white underside ,engine bay and inside...

what color was the engine bay and underside on a orginal panda?

stripped out

WkNWZmF0.jpeg

rust? no

eE9RWDNG.jpeg

unsure if i want to use paint stripper, wire brush or sandblast it.. hmm?

eVJ0azIr.jpeg

REpxNHdz.jpeg

rear suspension out

RU8wOXlJ.jpeg

except this...

VndrTU44.jpeg

took these off since i don't need them until paint...

QkdSUzhY.jpeg

Looking good. People have been moving away from the expense and mess of blasting things lately unless youve got the budget to clean it up properly after.

I did blast the wheel wells and bay on the car I had before and it made it easy but I wouldn't do a whole car I think unless it was outsourced but it could cost a lot of money. They can ruin the car with the wrong media too.

Stripper is good, so is a good clean and scrub, degrease, rust conversion, followed by a simple sand and paint with epoxy primer.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit