What Got You Into 'rollas?

i got my KE20 out of luck really. i was looking for a cheap FWD car to use daily, i wanted FWD because at the time i was 21 or something and i was a menace so i figured FWD was best for me cause i wouldnt be tempted to kick out the back end in the wet and end up losing my license. i couldnt find any FWD cars that i liked in my budget and an old guy at work was talking about the corolla he bought for his daughter but she wanted something faster. the guy at work already had 3 people looking at the car that day so i made him drive me to his place to look at the car and i bought it there on the spot. at first i hated the car cause it bought me bad luck, within the first two weeks the front windshield miraculously smashed all of a sudden and the alternator shit itself. both of those were fixed easily and since then she really hasnt caused any problems for me, even when my GF drove it around with the oil light on for a week it kept on going.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a friend had a ke70 and cained the bum hole out of it and still didnt kill it so i thought hell yeah i want one so my uncle found one for $200 with 4 new tires in the boot and a new exhaust and reco head so i bought it and thought if it died i don't care because the tires are worth that much and never looked back

Edited by Damon550

well.. i do believe the first time i got into rollas was in intermediate school. through growing up i was all about muscle cars and american v8s, drag racing and stuff.. and i never really bothered looking into any japanese cars, untill i used to hear the bogan kids in the back of the class talking about "check out my mates dx" or "oh man have u seen jakes ke30 maaan its sacked aaasss" so i thought jeez, i might just have to research and find out what these guys are on about. sure enough i fell in love too.

my first corolla was a ae80 fwd 1a-u beast, boasting a mighty 50 - 60 hp.. complete with a, dukes of hazard inspired, confederate flag on the roof lmao...

its been through hell and back and never died on me, its even been through a fence (no thanks to my mates stupid driving :)), but i eventually got lazy and low on cash and let its registration expire so,, time to say goodbye, i flicked it on for $50.

my passion for them lives on through my latest AE70 project :yak::D

4K is an amazing little banger... so realable and cheap to run.

Corollas, like most Jap cars, have a cool charm about them.

Always liked them.

When i first got into them they were CRAZY CHEAP, rust free and un-molested.

Got a few MoPars.. but they are way too exspensive.

Got a few Datsun... but if you don't own a 1600, expect to be ignored.

Most Rolla fans are welcoming regardless of what Rolla you own.

:)

What got me into rollas?

My brother needed a cheap car to buy and my grandmother said she knows someone selling a 1986 corolla for $200.

He would have bought it but it was manual. Ha, lucky me! I love driving manual and i wanted a cheap car to do up for a project.

When i started to fix it up i was looking on the net to find out idea's for colours, wheels and what not..

That's when i found rollaclub and saw lots of other people are fixing up old Corolla's as well.

I first got into Rolla's when the guy down the road brought his back off his old man. It's the one I'm currently chasing. Such an awesome little car, i became obsessed with ke3x's and would ask GSpec questions every night about cars to further my knowledge. Their just the right car for a guy like me. Simple, inexpensive, robust and reliable.

Then when i saw some pics of a rolled ae71 (you know who you are LOL) i began to like them moreso :)

Love the Corollas :yak:

When I was younger a friend of a friend had a KE55 as a paddock bomb and I had admired it

for quite a while. Then through extensive surfing of the net i discovered the TE27s and became hooked.

I had known that I wanted something older that was fun and easy to work on, but did not really

want a huge fuel bill like my mates in Toranas and GT Falcons. This kind of rolla filled my needs;

>Cheap

>Light

>RWD

>Looks cool

I did not find out for a while that the 27 were not available in Aus, and when I did I figured that a

KE15/17/20/25 would be the next best thing.

So here I am now with a KE20 :)

I got my first rolla when i was 15 for $500. An ae92 4af wee beast. Had a leak in the firewall and quite a bit of rust. Spent a weekend with the old man boggin it up and got a warrant once the paint dried.

Had that car for 4 years.

When i was 18, got my hair cut and flipped through a car mag, saw a 25 and was hooked on old school rollas.

Bought a ke10 later that year and then a ke20 a year after that. Have just been pumpin money into the ke10 but am still on a look out for a good 25.

I got into them after seeing how much pain a KE70 can live through, 100,000km service intervals, air cooled :yak: And the motor is still going strong to this day.

An old housemate of mine tested the 4K indestructibility, it took 30 minutes with no oil or water before the mighty 4K gave up :)

If a Frankencar is your style, it's hard to look past an old corolla once you're hooked, they're so much fun to drive and mod.

Rollas are pimp. thats all there is to it. no arguments.

actually started out lookin for a rx3/4 but when i realised how realistic that dream was i started lookin elswhere. then i saw a fast 4s mag with a ke30 2door with a 13b bridgeport turbo :P that looked sex. and since then thats all iv wanted.

my first was a ke30 sedan which got written off hardcore but i always wanted a 2door and picked one up last week :cool:

my mates bagged on me for not buyin a turbo or a 6cyl but friggin love them!

just can't get enough.

My family had an old datsun 200b station wagon since new, i drove it on my L's and then at the start of my P's.

Then i wanted my own 'beast' so, I pretty much looked for anything that was older than 1980.

Out popped the good old grannys ke30 who also owned it from brand new.

Havent looked back since, as for the station wagon... :P

no one wanted it so my brother took it and 3 angle grinders later its a duel cap ute :cool:

post-3802-1215731010_thumb.jpg