16V 4Age Ke55 Timing Issues, Wont Start :(

harryrolla

Hey all.

i have a 16v 4age, i have wired it up, have tested injector pulse with noide light, i have fuel at injectors, injectors have being cleaned and flow tested. i have spark timing is at 10 deg btdc. marks lined up on bottom and top crank pullys/cam gears. the dizzy cap has a spark that occasionally jumps across it (not sure if its from a scrape on rotor cap) i have earthed 5 earths from the ecu, so don't think its an earthing problem? tryed to run it on eather but no difference. Seems to me like the cam timing isnt correct, but all marks line up..

Any help would be great

Members dont see this ad
have tested injector pulse with noide light, i have fuel at injectors, injectors have being cleaned and flow tested.

If you take a plug out can you smell fuel when you crank it?

i have spark timing is at 10 deg btdc.

Is that from a timing light on a plug lead? While you have the plug out for the fuel test above, have you checked that it sparks when its sitting on the head?

the dizzy cap has a spark that occasionally jumps across it (not sure if its from a scrape on rotor cap)

At least the coil is working. Find the spark at the spark plug to check the cap distributes power OK. One car I worked on had the rotor in from another model dizzy on the same car.... the dizzy cap button in the middle didn't touch the rotor! That took some finding.

marks lined up on bottom and top crank pullys/cam gears.

I can't see how it can be wrong if they are lined up.

Timing could be completely could be wrong if the marking lines are incorrect to begin with. I have read some people on this forum saying their harmonic balancers/timing pulleys were somehow misaligned completely! Like perhaps from another engine with a similar keyslot. No idea if this is possibly an issue with a 4A GE though.

With timing at #1 TDC and cam marks lined up at #1 firing:

Open the rocker cover, and check that number one's cams are both in the closed positions and that rotating the camshaft about 30 degrees each way doesn't open any of them at all. That will verify that timing is correct in terms of the camshaft. If one valve does open then something is not quite right.

If that is all correct, check that the dizzy rotor is also pointed at cylinder one. If not, the dizzy is installed off a tooth or completely off alignment altogether.

I once bought an engine for a mazda 323 astina online. When it arrived and I couldn't get it to start, it took the extent of doing a compression test to realise it had no connecting rods. I hope that's not your issue! haha

Tried that and number 1 opens about 90 after. The little dimple on the intake cam shaft. Where is that meant to be in relation to the timing mark? Mine is 180 apart? Mark is right on harmonic balancer ( put screw driver down spark plug hole). How do you line up the cam pullys to the cam shaft?

If you are running a crank pulley off a mr2 or something it can be out by around 25 degrees or so. Best bet is to line your crank up off the timing mark on the crank itself and disregard the pulley. You can do this without removing the pulley but you gotta get the lower cover off.

IMG_20160215_190206.jpg