Electronic Dizzy, How To Get Tacho Working

rebuilder86

I'm on to my next project which I thought would be simple, wire up the standard tachometer in the dash of my car powered by a 4k, to the ignition system.

A couple of points to clarify:

1. I have not been successful

2. The car is not a manufactured car, its more like a really bad hot rod, with parts from different old toyotas, known here in the philippines as an 'OWNER TYPE JEEP'

3. The engine is a 4k with an electronic pointless distributor, and therfore the wiring is different to a points gap type dizzy.

4. the instrument cluster is from some sort of old toyota, no ideawhat , and can not get any idea from browsing pictures of toyota instrument clusters on google.

5. the tacho part is seemingly basic, a constant 12 v supply in, a constant ground and a pulse/signal wire.

I have tried 4 different ways to run it.

1. constant 12 volts, (from ignition switch, is definitely being supplied) with the ground GROUNDED, and pulse connected to NEGATIVE terminal on coil

2. constant 12 volts, (from ignition switch, is definitely being supplied) with the ground GROUNDED, and pulse connected to POSITIVE terminal on coil

3. constant 12 volts, (from ignition switch, is definitely being supplied) with the ground ISOLATED and connected the negative terminal on coil and the corresponding wire on the dizzy to the pulse signal, so as to mimmick what this diagram of a volvo with hotspark ignition is recommended somewhere on the net. I also tried this with backwards, with the pulse terminal connected to the coil and ground terminal connected to corresponding dizzy.

This is too complicated to explain over the net, can anyone who has successfully wired one up tell me what I am doing wrong?

post-23931-0-64094200-1455515234_thumb.jpg

post-23931-0-81326000-1455515268_thumb.jpg

Edited by rebuilder86

Members dont see this ad

Hi Jeremy,

Is your 4K distributor a reluctor type, with internal ignitor, inside the distributor, or a reluctor type with an external ignitor, or has the 4K distributor been fitted with a HotSpark modification, with Hall effect trigger & ignitor all inside the distributor ?

You need to determine this before going any further.

Cheers Banjo

• 1 month later...

Ah... the country of Telstra, where ALL phone lines go, to be answered by $2/hr Asians with no training in telecomunication equipment or in speaking colloquial Australian! Having been trying to get my internet re-connected for a week I can see why you get wound up about the place.

Most beautiful hearted people on earth, but when it comes to business, its just not in their psyche yet. Well, not the way we think of business anyway.

2 dollars an hour is a shit-ton of money there. The Average wage equates to 1.70 at current exchange rates. Most of the poor souls have no hope of a better life unless they find a foreigner partner.

For reference, their equivalent of Macdonalds, "Jolibee" (soon to be opened in Australia for the Filipino population making oz home), the average persons meal there is about 90 peso, and the days wage is about 450 pesos, at 33 peso to the dollars that's 13 dollars a day for 8 hours work. So their take away feed is about 20 percent of the days pay, kind of similar to ours, however anything considered a luxury, like a computer or motor vehicle, not a chance, that's priced for a foreigner.

Corruption is evident everywhere, every corner, every policeman, every government office... Its simply outrages.

• 10 months later...