Another Electronic Ignition Question

rebuilder86

Best mod I made was get a generic bosh accuspark kit. Had to modify it a bit , just some filing to match the holes . Basicaly converted the points to electronic for about 70 buks. As a plus no need for resistor so I used gt 40 coil and gapped plugs to .9 good starting and solid timing at high revs . Easy to do

which kit did you use? Also any idea if these kits would work with a 6AL MSD?

Members dont see this ad
  • 10 months later...

I have to bring back this thread, sorry.

My jeepy with 4k engine (dished postons and therfore longreach plugs) is boging down and stumbling a bit and I'm suspecting the plugs are shot. The plugs are now only just over a year old.

These long reach plugs are resistor type. I notice not all 4k engines use resistor type, just the ones with long reach, is suspect this is just because NGK only make the long reach in resistor format for a modern engine with onboard computers, as resistor spark plugs produce less interference to muck with on board computers.

The coil is the fuelmiser cc215 0.9 ohms (primary resistance) electronic ignition coil recommended earlier in this post by GJM 85.

GJM , can you tell me exactly what ohms a new coil of this spec should be giving me, i would like to test that the coil hasnt already failed, perhaps this is unable to live for long in a 5k electric dizzy setup.

Something is wrong with my ignition. The leads are all within spec.

Spark plugs shouldn't die this soon i don't think.

mine is reading primary 0.8 ohms, secondary 6000 ohms

I'm trying to cross reffenece brands to get back to a bosh to compare as i have a spreadsheet of all bosch coils and their resistance readings,

But hold on ive come across this application guide for fuelmiser coils,

https://www.google.com.ph/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwjSqY-knL7SAhWHW5QKHeB_APoQFgglMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.burpengaryautospares.com.au%2Fshop%2Fdownloads%2Ffuelmiser.pdf&usg=AFQjCNE4oljbS10al521R8ePjJgPKYfKSg&sig2=Sdtz8bBRnaVTt4Ie1yw1gQ&bvm=bv.148747831,d.dGo

page 282

The closest i can find to my aplication is the colora AE82 4AGE, but the CC215 isa listed as being for EFI vehicles, and a different model (CC287) for carburettor variant. That is closer to what i am dealign with so perhaps i better change to that. Maybe carbies just run more rich and hurt coils more.

OK for ʞ©$ɟ sake, 2 different sources show a CC287 as different types of coils. Ebay shows it as a single coilpack for one cylinder (attached to a spark plug connector, and some other source shows it as a standard external coil

https://www.sparesbox.com.au/fuelmiser-ignition-coil-cc287-10066-cc287

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fuelmiser-Ignition-Coil-CC287-/262042252328

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fuelmiser-Ignition-Coil-CC287/152091956014?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140106155344%26meid%3De3370cf382124b5293825a7cbfe1a6c8%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D262042252328

so which the ʞ©$ɟ is it then.

Edited by rebuilder86

I wondered about this back when I converted the Girls KE70 to 5K dizzy and I looked at getting a modern 'dry' low-impedence coil.

As it happens I've never got around to it, so its still running the stock 4K coil that was in it when we bought it 10years ago, although now the whole motor and everything is in the Hoonicorn. Its still got the ballast resistor on it too.

I assume you've checked it at night to see if its sparking out somewhere, and no doubt its the worst sort of miss that only occurs under load sometimes.

Is it worth tossing in any coil to see if the miss vanishes, and then tossing in any spark plugs to see if that get rid of it??

yep, in another thread i have a topic going about this missfire, I'm going to sit down and do the popper diagnosis today.

Its not a huge miss, and not under load, mostly just coming off idle, and the whole time I'm driving its a tiny bit sad, but noticeable.

ie,. trying some old but good spark plugs and watching to see if they give a better spark, and also throwing in the old incorrect bosch blue coil again and seeing if it give s brighter spark.

The spark even to the eye is much duller than i remember from 8 months ago. either

a. the coil has gone bad, or

b. the plugs have gone bad from a wrong coil being used. Is that possible?