4Age Sparking At Odd Times

harryrolla

Is the tank up in the boot above the pump?? Both wagons Steve has owned surged badly and violently going up a hill with less than half a tank of fuel. Neither had lift pumps or surge tanks. Then again, both started fine on level ground, so unless your pump is pretty bad you should be able to start it.

Pulling an injector out and watching the fuel spray will tell you.

Another possible source might be the fuel pressure valve on the return end of the rail. The latest wagon had the stock one replaced with an aftermarket adjustable, and that being set too low was the cause of its abysmal running. If yours is not right inside it might be dropping the fuel line pressure by returning too much fuel... and the option is that the pump specs are not the same as the stock one and is pumping too much (or not enough) fuel.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it should run without it wired up to ecu ?

Sure, the thing that gets people excited is haivng it wired such that it stops when the motor stops, even with the ignition on. The cops don't like the pump working after some accident that has split a fuel line and stalled the motor.

Yes fuel pump is located above tank in the boot.

Put it below and see if it helps. Usual theory is that the pumps have plenty of push but no suction, so the early days of injection had in-tank 'lift' pumps pushing fuel out to the main pump, then they just started making the in-tank main pumps that everyone has these days.

hmm, I'm not sure what you mean by fuel surging.

The fact that the pump is new, is enough to tell me to stop worrying about the pump. If it runs now, and its new, its ok.

Perhaps perform a fuel rail pressure test just to be sure. What sort of fuel pressure regulator does this engine use??

Harry can you tell me if the fuel pressure regulator has a vacuum hose coming off it, or just 2 fuel hoses?

nonetheless, further with relation to the fuel pressure regulator, you may have the hoses backwards and might be trying to pump fuel into the backside of the regulator, which will successfully fill the pressure side of it and as son as your run the engine that pressure will be let go and it will die. Could be the problem.

Hey I have brought a surge tank and a genuine Bosch 044 overkill yes but it has minimal use and was a good price :) I'm going to get a vl lifter pump in the tank and wire the pumps up to the ecu I'll let you know how I go :)

Yeah vacuum line is on the return fuel pressure regulator. Defently the right way around

I'm not sure what you mean by fuel surging.

Well, I thought of a gentle increase in speed as you accelerate, then it dies momentarily, then picks up, then dies again.. Dad's HQ with the small V8 used to do it, and Holden just said "they all do.."

When I drove the 4AGE wagon uphill and it surged, it was violent and savage! Something would have broken in the drivline if you didn't lift off back to where it didn't surge and jerk, and just crawled up the hill. You couldn't accelerate if you wanted to.

Try the lift pump on your current main pump first, that will tell you if suction is the problem.

Oh and the fuel was closed air tight in the fuel tank for about 2 years I added 15 liters of 98 to it 2 days ago

Can't understand why this hasn't been picked up yet. Sealed or not fuel won't last that long, it still may not be the cause but I'd be completely draining the tank just to rule it out.