Maxi

TOMsGPTurbo

A little up date, I order some tools in order to work on the brake line fittings, I'm waiting for these to arrive so I can stop mangalating brake parts.

I would have loved to do some weilding classes in tafe or school, I'm really envious of you guys who have access to full work shops and tools!

Members dont see this ad

been meaning to ask you Tom. Did you end up getting coilovers for yours? Think i might have to get some for mine before i register it as the ride height is just too low. Any advice appreciated. Also i just read on another forum that you got braided brake lines from the UK…???

Edited by 20v4agteEL31

Hey Andrew,

RE: Coilovers, I haven't purchased them yet, I was going to buy EP82 from Manon Racing Products in New Zealand (Barry Manon). I've only heard good things about them (I wish I was getting paid to say that!) and

RE: Brake lines, I WRONGLY purchased EP71 HELS lines, which are only 4 lines, we need 6 lines as our rears have 2 lines, once again the EP82 'looks' the same, but i'm not 100% sure.

Brake lines are banjo's at the rear, same as the EP82 and not the EP71 HELS kit who doesn't come with any banjos.

Progress: washer bottle back in and plugged up, I found the original horn and alarm so i'm installing them, pulled the radiator and intercooler out to make it a bit easier.

I could only put on one HELS Brake line on the front drivers side, on the passenger side - the tube is slightly bent so the fitting can't come off, I'm trying to work out how to bend it without damaging it with my very limited tools I have access to.

Speaking of tools, I ordered a brake spanner set from super cheap using a gift card, I was advised that the shop I was suppose to pick up the iteams from didn't have them in stock, so supercheap said they'll mail them free of charge - awesome right? - it took over a month for them to arrive - not cool. - Moral of the story - it's best to go to the store rather then wait.

Furthermore, when they did arrive, the spanner set didn't have a size 10 - which is what I was waiting for, anyhow.....

I might go work the boxing bag...

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo

I had a big night working on the car, bleed the brakes - I made a DIY one person bleeding setup from clear hose and sports drink bottle.

I iinstalled the dual horns inbetween the radiator and intercooler on a couple of brackets I made up, I installed the EP82 full size (thin) radiator, though I'm not happy with it as it gets really hot from the exhaust manifold and turbo - I might grab one of those half size thick core ones from ebay.

The intercooler piping is pushing the the lower bumper(?) splitter out but about 2cm's so I have a couple of ideas to try tomorrow to make it fit nice and snug.

All in all a good productive day, at one stage the whole front end was back on and looking nearly 100%

I'll post some progress pics tomorrow.

• 3 months later...

I'm having a couple of issues now that I didn't have about a month before, one headlight is not retracting and the radiator fan isn't kicking in.

Also the temp gauge doesn't work - keeps saying the engine is at optimum temperature when it isn't.

Getting closer to RWC!

Thanks Trev, the car is running really well, no leaks, no smoke, boosting low... it has a miss on idle but I'm thinking that just might be tuning.

I'm wondering what else do I need for RWC?

so far on my list:

• 2 x new tyers
  • 2 x sunvisors
  • horn working
  • fixed popup head light
  • 1 x shockie (I wonder how hard this is to do and if I could do it at home)
  • brake lines attended to

How's your supercharged beast going?

I could only put on one HELS Brake line on the front drivers side, on the passenger side - the tube is slightly bent so the fitting can't come off, I'm trying to work out how to bend it without damaging it with my very limited tools I have access to.

If you have a shifter, put them over a round/undamaged section of the tube & close the jaws until they grip the tube. Then put the shifter over the damaged section & slowly/gently roll it around the tube. This causes the jaws of the shifter to force the bent tube to become round again, you may need to spin the shifter around a few times to get it right. We do it all the time to straighten kinked copper pipes at work, hopefully I have explained that so it makes sense. :hmm:

So awesome that Maxi's running again! :D

If you have a shifter, put them over a round/undamaged section of the tube & close the jaws until they grip the tube. Then put the shifter over the damaged section & slowly/gently roll it around the tube. This causes the jaws of the shifter to force the bent tube to become round again, you may need to spin the shifter around a few times to get it right. We do it all the time to straighten kinked copper pipes at work, hopefully I have explained that so it makes sense. :hmm:

So awesome that Maxi's running again! :D

Thanks for the info Luke, but I'm over the brake lines, I'm just going to save up some cash and take it to brake store to put on new fittings and atleast get the HELS braided fronts on, the rears will need to be replaced but at the moment it's next to impossible to source only rear braided lines.

What shock/strut you gotta do?

Does that mean you fixed the headlight?

It's going slow, will do more engine stuff next week.

lol no, I worded that badly - it pops up but doesn't come down, I'll have a play with it and see if it will work, worst case I'll replace the drive motor.

One of the the front shockies, it bounces on one side, I think driver-side from memory (I do have the old shockies still)

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo

Fixed the head light issue and found that I have intercooler pipe leak some where, car sounds rough.

Then, I went to install my whiteline rear sway bar to find it doesn't fit ... it's only out by about 10cm! :/ (I'm going to see how much some custom strut mounts would be)

Cleaned the interior (after my cat was sleeping in the car for 2.5months) and sort of left it at that for now...

Still need to work out why radiator fan doesn't switch on at all, normally when the AC is removed it's constantly running and bridge in a circuit needs to made to bring it back to normal.

I think it's finally time I invest in a multimeter.

• 6 months later...