Maxi

TOMsGPTurbo

Members dont see this ad
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't done anything with the Astra yet, still broken head gasket, sitting there all sad looking.

But, I did buy a power-steering - non aircon belt for the 4e from Autobahn (I went to supercheap and didn't get any service so I walked out ), the belt didn't fit so I have to go back and get it exchanged.

Attempted to get the aircon compressor off too - rounded the head of the last bolt holding it on, that it was it for the night.

Here is a updated pic when I flushed the radiator, you can see all the brown coloured rust :/ that came out.

post-5-0-79889200-1362152842_thumb.jpg

Keep at it man, it will get there. Hope things are going well with the family unit.

Agreed on Supercheap, I've given up getting parts from them & stick to generic stuff like degreaser, light bulbs etc. Not just the lack of service, the lack of automotive knowledge the staff in my area seem to possess. :bash:

If you can get a file to the rounded off bolt, you might be able to file the edges flat again to the next size down. This might mean that you have to replace it but at least you'll be able to get the bugger out! I just had to do a heap of bolt replacing on BT, persistence, patience & beer got me through! That & a lot of yelling, swearing & throwing things. :wink:

Funny enough as soon as I rounded it I thought of you when you rounded the one on the gearbox and the things you tried, I've got a file for tool chest.

I like the persistence, patience & beer technique :)

The family unit is keeping me really busy, when my baby is asleep for a couple of hours I slip away and do something to the car.

Air-compressor off, drilled the crap out of the bolt, then pulled the compressor towards me and it snapped off at the head - proves when all else fails get angry.

The correct powersteering belt is now on (Gates - 4PK925), First belt I've changed on my car myself, it's nice and firm - but not too firm ;)

What's next - brake lines, horn install, battery tie-down, alarm, horn and swap the steering wheel back to the stock one.

Wish list - coil-overs & complete suspension overhaul.

EDIT - Photo/Vids coming soon.

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo

- proves when all else fails get angry.

Sometimes, brute force is the only way. :y: I've been told the Irwin Easy-Out set available cheaply from Bunnings is a worthwhile investment but so far managed with what I have. On the 'want' list though!

I think I might be going to bunnings tomorrow, brake line connectors are seized :|

Check this out:

I would love to build Maxi to race in this series.

EDIT: I don't think any of those cars were built utilising their local hardware stores lol :P

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo

Like that yellow thing about 1:40 with the boxed out guards,massive front track & even bigger rear wing? Yes, definitely build Maxi like like that!!! :yes:

Those Irwin things will help with nuts/bolts you can get a socket onto, not the ones that need an open-ended spanner. (e.g brake line in the way, not sure if I explained it right) :y:

Edited by carbonboy

Like that yellow thing about 1:40 with the boxed out guards,massive front track & even bigger rear wing? Yes, definitely build Maxi like like that!!! :yes:

That Luke is a Lancia delta intergrale, same as the last one, just less ground effect. Last one still has about 2-3" of extension in the guards. But they do have boxed guards std.

That Luke is a Lancia delta intergrale, same as the last one, just less ground effect. Last one still has about 2-3" of extension in the guards. But they do have boxed guards std.

Those Irwin things will help with nuts/bolts you can get a socket onto, not the ones that need an open-ended spanner. (e.g brake line in the way, not sure if I explained it right) :y:

That's the dream build - box Lancia Delta Intergrale guards, AWD GT4 setup, 3SGTE pumping out 320KW, stripped out and strengthened completely custom.

Now to win lotto OR If anyone wants to sponsor me? ;)

If your wondering would this even be possible? and how would it look like? here is a little youtube clip of something very very close to what I would love to achieve:

Edited by TOMsGPTurbo

• 4 weeks later...

those last two videos are fairly inspiring... for both our situations. Mine left queensland on the 25th of march, should be back in my possession around the 10th of this month. pretty keen. interesting seeing the difference between the fwd and awd times. did someone say conversion?

lol, I'm trying to win lotto so I can do it :P

I've had a look into it, basically the driveshaft would fit down the middle of the car where the exhaust is, then just need to shift that over, setup a independent rear end....hmmm

Glad to hear your beast is on its way, I thought you'll like the 4AGTE EP71, I was thinking that some aftermarket ECU's have traction control now, I wonder if that would help to power down.

At the end of the day the whole setup depends on what the driver is building the car for, that FWD EP71 seems like it's crazy boost for straight line times.

I'm over due for an update on Maxi, but I need to actually do some work on him!