4Age Wiring Questions- Where Are The Gurus?

altezzaclub

OK, I've finally had to start on wiring the computer into the KE70. As far as I know its a big-port motor and loom, and a smallport ECU, all melded into a KE70 body loom and a Daihatsu Charade relay box.

Sounds easy..

After a month I still couldn't understand where power went into the wiring loom, all the pins in the computer were taken and the loom looked like it had never been hacked. A closed circuit. There is NOTHING on the internet about it except "hack into blah blah and put it into pin so & so.."

Only this afternoon I realised the plug I need to chop off is 6" shorter than the other two because Toyota must have made a 6" long T-piece body loom, one that supplied power and stuff for the instruments to the ECU AND down the engine loom.

So, now I realise I have to chop the plug off and put some of those wires into a new loom that goes in via my Camry plug that fits the smallport ECU. I was going to pull power and ign from the wiper relay box in the footwell but might as well make up a little loom from the EFI relay & COR box up front, past the ignition key to pick up power & ign, and across the dash to the ECU.

However, I don't know which wires are which in the 14pin loom. The colours don't agree with any of the wiring diagrams I've found, and some of these I will need in the computer.

There are-

Black-yellow

White

Black

Green-White

Yellow-Green, water temp sender

Brown w black spots

Yellow-black, oil pressure sender

Two blacks that are joined together.

Those two senders I can stick a meter on and see they come out under the bonnet.

The rest should include permanent 12V, two ignition 12V, error code LED, Fc to COR to keep the fuel pumps running.

What do I need to hook up from that plug to the ECU?? Does power go down any of those wires to anything important, apart from the Fc line?? The oil & water are already on the KE70 loom. I assume power goes FROM the ECU to the LED light then earths.

Any clues??

post-7544-0-83040100-1457164278_thumb.jpg

post-7544-0-53632000-1457164283_thumb.jpg

post-7544-0-50106600-1457164289_thumb.jpg

post-7544-0-06304200-1457164295_thumb.jpg

post-7544-0-40457100-1457164301_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

I'm lost, so this plug

post-7544-0-53632000-1457164283_thumb.jpg

is part of your 4AGE loom or this is the original KE70 plug?

Also the check engine light needs a constant switched 12v source and the ECU grounds the circuit to activate it.

Also, got a picture of the ECU?

And you have found these wiring diagrams? http://www.rollaclub.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tech:Engine/A_Series/Wiring_Diagrams

My guesses:

That plug is just the standard KE70 plug that is up behind the dash feeding the relay box IGN and ACC to switch your relays in the main fuse box (EFI, COIL etc) plus the starter motor and shit.

Youre missing the (14 pin) plug to supply power to the ECU, which carries the constant 12v for the ECU memory and switch 12v, plus also the CEL, speed sensor, and other unnecessary shit.

Also that is a bigport ECU, smallports had grey plugs.

There must be somewhere on the loom to hook up those pins in the 14 pin plug as the B1+ and B+ supply power to the COR for the fuel pump. Unless they have been bypassed. I wouldnt see why you couldnt do that but you'd still need constant power to W and B, although the car should run with a constant supply to W and nothing else. You just wouldnt retain the memory of what the ECU learns if B isnt hooked up.

That plug is just the standard KE70 plug that is up behind the dash feeding the relay box IGN and ACC to switch your relays in the main fuse box (EFI, COIL etc) plus the starter motor and shit.

No, that plug is one of the three on the 4AGE loom.

Youre missing the (14 pin) plug to supply power to the ECU, which carries the constant 12v for the ECU memory and switch 12v, plus also the CEL, speed sensor, and other unnecessary shit.

Yep- that plug doesn't fit the ECU, but I do have a 14pin Camry one from the wrecker that does. So I need to find the right wires and solder them onto the Camry plug to give the ECU what it wants..

Also that is a bigport ECU, smallports had grey plugs.

Gold! Thankyou Sir, some real information. So its bigport all through, but no-one sells the little loom that goes from that plug to the ECU?? It must be a body loom that goes in there.

...or do they just usually plug straight in and I've got a mismatched bigport loom and bigport ECU??

I wouldnt see why you couldnt do that but you'd still need constant power to W and B, although the car should run with a constant supply to W and nothing else.

That is plan A, and I assume everyone does that.

Is it weird that I really wish I was there to sort this out in person?

Hey, its only Walcha... I'll do beers for you! :D

Also, is it AFM or MAP?

MAP.

As far as I can see the loom is unmolested, it would all be great if there was a body loom that bought in power etc and plugged into both that plug and the ECU. How did you get your body loom to talk to the ECU loom??

Lemee go search Google images with more "Error 404" and "Image not found" for pictures of bigport looms!

Ok I thought this loom was a ke/4age hybrid loom. That plug would be the original cars dash/ignition supply.

All of those wires on that plug should match the ke70 wires around the dash/ignition area, from memory I'm pretty sure they all matched. Obviously the ke won't have the CEL and one will probably be for the speed sensor which would have been in the original car dash.

Edit: CEL and speed sensor were probably in the separate loom part that youre missing. I'm guessing that that part of the loom isn't part of the main engine loom. Probably wired into the body loOM.

Yep- read that Nikkojoe one too.

Another one that seemed likely was this one-

http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4906

Same plug, but the 20V had all the colours different.

Google images shows some bigports with that loom arm shorter than the other two, some with all three the same. RWD, FWD, Kouki, Senki..

...aannd this is one option!

That's another connector, think it does wipers and whatever else. The REAL third plug is on the body harness of the car belonging to the guy you bought it off.

Although the plug they show has the same shape, it has lots of multicoloured blue wires in it. Having this plug on the engine loom is a common problem for noobs, but no-one seems to have lots of black wires going ... somewhere...

Well, onto it today- ignore the 14pin plug completely.

Run a mini-loom of 4 wires from my Daihatsu relay box, under the radiator with the alty wires and they can connect into the plugs that terminate by the coil. Those plugs carry wires that are not needed, so I will use them to carry power back through the firewall to the ECU.

Being cheap I'm using old wiring from the Celica rally car, but it gives me a chance to keep colours about right. This solves the EFi relay to injector power on the ECU, the start signal from the KE70 wire plus the Daihatsu relay box go to STA on the ECU, and the Fc fuel pump data goes from the relay box to Fc on the ECU.

This way I don't need new wires running through the firewall. I will use both permanent 12V and ignition 12V from the wiper relay box just beside the ECU, so just a couple of short wires there..

Of coure it will turn to shit if one of the dead-end wires I'm using goes somewhere else as well !! That's these ones-

http://www.rollaclub...ttach_id=124000

---------------------------------------

Thanks Frosty- I've got that, along with stacks of stuff from many hours on the next over the last week! Cheers

Edited by altezzaclub

You are massivley over thinking it....

- Connect all engine loom grounds (brown ring terminals)

- There's a Maine wire in the engibe loom that powers the coil and a few other items, it's quite thick, on mine it was orange. This needs ignition 12v. It usually connects to the fuse box in engine bay.

- find the pin out for ecu and connect the +12v and give that ignition 12v. It's prolly one of those plugs you are lookin at.

- wire up fuel pump using circuit opening relay and ecu output.

- start signal not 100% required. But connect it to the start solenoid.

Done!

Edited by ke70dave

If the engine loom came from an AE86, the plug you are asking about is for the washers & aircon, but the wiring colours are all wrong.

As you say, the 14 pin ECU plug is part of the separate body loom with the functions as laid out on pg 1-12 of the diagnosis manual.

I've got a complete AE86 GT loom in a box. I'll pull it out later and take some pictures.

Has someone modified this for something else and you are trying to decipher it?