Ae71 Engine And Trans Swap

Hi all,

My brain has been ticking over since I have had the body work and paint done on my Rolla and the guys at the work shop have said I should put a 1j in it to match up with the rest of the car.

I have thought about it before as I really like the 1jzgte vvti motor, but the thought of the extra weight and placement of the engine puts me off as I don't want to cut anything!

That aside, it would make 200+rwkw very easily and reliably more so than a 4agte, which is why I'm still entertaining the idea!

What I thought was, if I went 1j I would probably go to/stay auto, but I'm not really a fan of 4 spd autos, so what about a ZF 6spd auto from a BF-FG Falcon? Has anyone thought of this before? Could be a very good conversion and combination!

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Twincam16seca

Members dont see this ad

Going by that table and kerb weight from Red book I can Haha, I have an ae71 csx so from what I found it would be 960x2.75=2640 I do believe that is more than 2500 (2492), but they round up for engine sizes on cam covers from actual calculated cc's of the engine.

I am going to assume that redbook isn't correct and they put the wagon weight for the sedan, but I just checked and there is no weight listed for a ae71 wagon.

I know "go talk to an engineer" it's just an idea I had.

I did find another weight which was 855kg but I think that's a bit on the light side?

Also is that table a national guideline or a state specific? because I'm in Adelaide.

Edited by Twincam16seca

If youre in Adelaide you might find it harder and be forced through engineering hurdles.

Long heavy straight six engines are the least suited to an ae71. Put in a 4 cylinder motor or a v6 if you must be over the top. Commodoore engine goes great in one and Id prefer that over a JZ or BF barra any day. Especially to steer.

You cannot just pick random shit from random cars and make it fit without a lot of custom work, if at all. The falcon transmission fits a falcon motor. The Supra transmission is just as good if you're talking r154. Eho cares about six gears what are the ratios? The final drive? Speed in gear? Why change tranny? Except for the fact it wont fit in the tunnel? Judging by the sound of your questions you might want to consider buying someone's finished project corolla with an sr20 or something. If you want to build something unique, that's fine but just make sure its in your wheelhouse skill wise and judging by the questions you need to start with an attainable goal.

Believe me when I say JZ is not a great idea and impossible if you don't want to cut anything. Look at a motor with similar packaging to the original, something that comes in a compact size and weight and makes good power.

4age into ae71 is a good start. Will teach you the basics and not require a lot of modified parts. By the time you complete that then you will be a better more skilled mechanic. You need experience and the knowledge it brings to skill fully and safely execute an engine conversion, plus time and a good healthy budget. Plus be ready to never get your money back, and constantly field stupid comments like: "you should have put (insert some other random unobtainable engine here) in it".

If you enjoy the technical exercise as much as driving then build something. If building something is a means to an end then just buy a car that's already done and put your touch to it.

Hmmmm... I have a few E7 publications (new car pamphlets in pdf format)

Mass on the short door models* ranges from 1090 kilos to 1255 kilos, there was NOT a listing for the wagon!

Short door cars can also be called fixed door frame models; 2 door sedan, 4 door sedan, 2 and 4 door wagons. Long door models are the floating window type.

Long door mass ranges from 885 kilos to 990 kilos....

Littleredspirit, mate no need to crack the shits, I do currently have a 4agze to convert to turbo with everything I need as I have read all the threads on here over many years so I know what's involved. It was purely an idea I had as I used to work for a ford dealership, and as for how? To quote from the forum, "anything is possible", some adapter plates etc would be a start.

But that's clearly a pipe dream, I also thought this was a place to air ideas and discuss things...

Anything is possible.

But have a think about how a fwd (!!!!) geabox from ~2005 is going to attach to a rwd engine from 1990?

All of the gearboxeas in this thread that are at least half feasible are going to require a custom bellhousing adaptor and custom torque convertor. Not to mention does it even fit anywhere near the gearstick hole. Your talking Id guess upwards of $3k to get it bolted to your engine properly. Then you have to create the custom gearboxe mount and tailshaft.

Suddenly an OEM supra 4 speed auto isn't looking so bad;)

Edited by ke70dave

I didn't even mention the gearbox from the aurion, I was referring to the actual v6 engine, but the trd hilux would be better as it's rwd to start with and they have a bigger bolt pattern for the bellhousing too.

Needless to say I won't go down either of these paths, it was just an idea I put out there.

Hah, apologies didn't read your post properly.

There's nothing wrong with crazy ideas bug there has to be some feasibility done.

Simply asking "has anyone done this" doesn't really help you because in the end if you decide to do it you are going to be the one who has to figure it out.

Crazy engine conversions are all possible if you have enough skills and cash.