4K Carby Clean Out

Big G

Hey Guys

I have been slowly putting together a ke55 2 door coupe for my daughter. The engine is in and running now but I am struggling to get it to idle. I am putting the issue down to the idle jet in the carby. I have been looking for advice on line and the first fix seems to be hit it with carby cleaner. My question is where do you squirt the stuff to to clean out the jets. I want to avoid putting a kit through the carby so I am taking things in logical steps of elimination. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. I don t know if it makes a difference but its an auto.

Members dont see this ad

To be honest if you don't know when the carby kit was last done, it's probably worth doing. The needle and seat is the big one to replace.

Remember that the jets are between the fuel bowl and the opening, so you can't actually squirt carby cleaner through the jets without taking it all apart.

In saying that you can have some success by spraying tons of carby cleaner into the top of the carby with the engine running. You will need to operate the throttle by hand as the carby cleaner will tend to make the engine die. Basically spray it into the top of the carby try and clean off as much junk as possible.

Thanks for that bad news Dave. i was hoping for the easy way out. When i look at all the bits and pieces that are in the kit it looks a little overwhelming. If you take it one step at a time is it too difficult to do. I don't want to have to pay to get it done as it is my daughters car and she has zero budget.

You can try to dislodge some of the shit by swapping the two middle plug leads over, holding your foot flat and cranking the engine. It will back fore through the carby, so make sure the air cleaner is removed........

Used to clear the odd flat spot my ke35 had.

If it has sat for a couple of years it may just be tar in the internal passages.

So pop it off the car, take it apart carefully and take out the idle screw, the jets and all the odd little screws that plug holes. If you get the gaskets off in one piece you've won , but if not you cut one out of gasket paper or buy a kit.

You could toss the body parts into a can of petrol overnght, then I use a 5ml syringe without a needle to squirt petrol theough all the drillings and passages, but carb cleaner or brake clean, any good solvent really.

hey mate. You say your putting it down to the idle jet / idle circuit.... are you certain that is the issue?

it is the most likely thing yes but there are other things that can stop the idle circuit from delivery fuel other than the idle circuit itself.

A vacuum leak of 2 inches of mercury is enough to stop the stock 4k carb from delivering any fuel through its 0.5mm orifice, with standard idle air corrector jets. (tested and proven by myself)

In other words, pretty much any vacuum leak at all, will stop it from idling. Those who disagree or other sources of information on the internet are running an aftermarket webber or similar. This stock carb relies heavily on a perfect suction to pull fuel through through the very small idle jet against the relatively large air correctors, (remember there are 2 of them to compete against).

Some will argue that a vacuum leak will increase revs, i have found it simply stops the idle circuit from delivering fuel.

In short, with a working fule filter, in my experience it is more probable that the fault is in the 'suction of' rather than 'supply of' fuel to the circuit.

One thing to attempt first is backing out the idle mixture screw exactly one turn from where it currently is. if this improves the idle situation, then ur issue is in a vacuum leak as described above. If not, consider taking the float bowl cover off and spraying carby cleaner down each and every hole u can find. The float bowl cover gasket is pretty forgiving and shouldnt need to be replaced once you open it up. Just be careful when removing the bowl cover that the float pin doesnt fall out, keep it horizontal.

Wow thanks for all of your responses it has given some ideas to move forward with. One issue that i have realised since working on it is that it wont start without pouring a dribble of fuel into the carby after that initial start it starts easily but will only run with your foot on the pedal slightly.It s as if the fuel drains out over night. The car hasn t been started for at least 18 months. I will let you know how i go. T

I recon put a kit through it. To be honest all u need in that kit is top gasket, and needle and seat. Maybe the high speed plunger if yours is worn out. Just take the carby off the car and get some newspaper , put the carby on the newspaper and place all bits in chronological order if that makes sense. That how I learned years ago. Don't forget to set the float height once you reassemble it. Good luck

Hey Guys

Took your advice and took the carby off and pulled it apart very carefully as you advised. There were so many problems inside I m surprised it ran at all. The accelerator plunger seal at the bottom was missing a chunk the power piston was stuck in position there was a handful of gravel around the fuel inlet filter the idle jet was completely blocked and the list goes on. So I stripped it cleaned it and got a rebuild kit yesterday. So putting it together over the next couple of days with my daughter cracking the whip. I ll let you know how how it goes together. thanks again.

Hey good job man. It's not that hard if you take your time. I also take braso and rag and polish everything above fuel venturi. Makes the carb flow a bit better ... Maybe .01% haha . Don't polish below as the mirror surface will form fuel into droplets sorta like water on waxed paint. But yeah top of venturi

Well guys I did it. $85 for a rebuild kit a bunch of obsessive evenings making sure every fuel gallery and air line were squeaky clean. A careful bunch of time spent putting it back together bolting it up and she started first pop and is now purring like a kitten. We took her for a quick illegal sprint up the street and back and it was smooth and responsive. It was high fives all round. Thanks for all the advice and support.