Ke70Daves New Euro Toy

ke70dave

So a bit more reaserch (and realisation on my part) has revealed that when an engine misfires, you get unburnt fuel going through the exhaust but you also get loads of oxygen coming through. and this oxygen causes an ultra lean condition to be read by the o2 sensor.

Seems that at the super low rpm where i am getting the 16+ AFRs I'm actually get some slight misfires, i had a smarty pants mate come around last night and straight away he said it sounded like it was misfiring. It has never had a perfect idle but the engine stays relatively smooth i guess because it is 6clr rather than 4clr. After a bit of a drive he seems to think that the readings i am getting are rather normal. So onwards and upwards! this time i have photos....

TPS adaptor turned up yesterday, fits super nice.

post-2532-0-00067700-1478753813_thumb.jpg

post-2532-0-99964100-1478753818_thumb.jpg

Bag of brand new bosch plugs, all plugs on the loom will be new. Not worked out how to crimp them yet, i might need a special crimp tool, dad might have one.

post-2532-0-98509900-1478753822_thumb.jpg

And here is where I'm at with the wiring, majority of wires cut and labelled.

post-2532-0-90174100-1478753826_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

hmmmm 17:1 eh. I guess as long as it runs smooth as lean as you can get it is the goal on cruise. Perhaps my engine can put up with that lean.

Changed the oil and filter on the weekend its only been 2000km or so but figured worth changing to see if tappets quieten down as i put in 10w40 last time as its what i had spare in the garage. Went with 20W50 as specified in the manual. Went with some castrol GTX stuff as it was on special for $30 for 5L and a ryco filter that was almost the same price :/

I think i will still readjust the tappets but the thicker oil seems to have quietened them down a bit.

Nothin else to report, i had grand plans to finish my loom on the weekend, but life got in the way and i achieved nothing on the loom! Maybe this weekend.....

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well i don't have too much to report again.

I've driven it every day to work (40mins each way) for the last 3 weeks and it hasn't missed a beat. AC is ice cold for these friggen ridiculous temperatures and the cooling system is holding up just fine. no more coolant leaks at all. I do need to flush the coolant with new stuff as with my leak finding i just used tap water to top it up (the bmw coolant mixes with tap water), so there is probably half the amount of BMW coolant in there than there is supposed to be. But it will be alright for a while.

I've decided to hold off on my haltech install until the Christmas holidays, construction starts next week on a huge project at work so ill be doing some looong hours, no time for bmw's :(

Anyway, i did happen to grab this amusing photo the other night. BMW looks like a small car even in the small car spot!

post-2532-0-91192100-1480659624_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

This is what happens as you get old Dave.

Before you know it you will be fitting the baby capsule. Sick bags in the rear seat pockets for the kiddies. Roofracks for the weekly trips to Bunnings.

A dash cam to document the erratic driving of those youngen's trying to crash into you as you observe all the road laws whilst they don't indicate to change lanes, cut in on you and sneer under their backward fitting caps.

Slowly begin to understand why your parents behaved the way they did.

Buy your next (smaller so it's easier to maintain) house, with an eye to the availability of nearby health care.

No car seats or sick bags yet, but damn the rest is spot on :S

Unrelated to cars but we are currently trying to buy our first house (we are a few years behind due to our Canada travels). We have been to open houses every freakin saturday for the last 3mths. The whole buying house process is a stressfull and depressing situation. We have put a few offers in but the prices are out of control!

Hopefully we have more success in the new year, as living at the wifes mum's house is growing old.....fast....

• Upvote 1

A dash cam to document the erratic driving of those mother's driving SUV's trying to crash into you as you observe all the road laws whilst they don't indicate to change lanes, cut in on you and sneer under their my family stickers.

Fixed.

This is more like what i see every time I'm out on the bike.

• 2 weeks later...

Well another 3 weeks goes by!

Up to almost 160,000kms. Record fuel economy of 10.8L/100km the other week. Not too bad for 100% suburban driving.

Have put my old engine back together sort of and started laying out the engine loom. Plan is to get it done over the holidays. Ive been forces to take leave up to the 9th and the wife only has till the 2nd, so a whole week of free time to play video games, i mean work on the car!

Been doing 12hr days for the lst 2 weeks which is gettig old, but still loads of fun driving to and from work.

Heres a quick snap at 530am this morning in the work yard for fun. Being white you can't really tell how dirty it is!

post-2532-0-12061500-1482271545_thumb.jpg

Fixed.

This is more like what i see every time I'm out on the bike.

Harsh, very harsh.

Was in the Bunning's car park in Hawthorn this afternoon in the Xtrail - absolutely dwarfed by the monster Toyota 4WD mega truck.. Very handy if you come across a pothole down Glenferrie Rd

Harsh, very harsh.

Don't take offense parrot last I remember you're a father not a mother haha.

Back to topic. Dave are they mech or leccy injected? Not that it makes a huge difference as I'm still impressed by those fuel figures either way. I'd imagine being in QLD the ac runs a bit too.

Edited by kickn5k

I filled it up again yesterday and got 10.9L/100km so pretty consistent! I was putting 95octane in but last 2 times ive put in 98 octane, which seems to make it run a bit better. Compression ratio is 9.8:1 so it probably likes the 98octane..

Currently it is running bosch L-Jetronic electronic fuel injection. Standalone vacuum advance distributor and an analogue ECU for fuel. fairly crude system but i think it was bosch's first or second OEM "electronic" fuel injection system, was used on all kinds of european cars at the time, porshe, alfa, beema prolly others too. I think even some of the early fords in ausi used L-JET? unsure.

The distributor as mentioned is purely mechanical/vacuum operated, fairly cool in that it has an advance and retard vacuum things, so it has two vac pips on it.

The EFI system Uses a trap door type AFM, takes a pulse from the distributor, and the injection is 2 groups of 3 injectors banked together. Has a coolant temp sensor and i think an air temp sensor inside the AFM. Its very crude the ecu only has about 10wires on it. But it appears to work rock solid and produce quite impressive power and economy for its age. I suspect the bottom end has been rebuilt and ive doen the head up, so the engine has loads of comrpession which definately helps with economy.

The only downside to this system is it doesnt have an electronic idle up valve. Which is annoying as with the AC and powersteering the idle can vary a bit. IVe got it pretty good, but if the engine isnt completely warmed up with the AC on it can stall. I have a feeling that the AFM swing door thing gets itself into a bit of a state where it swings open and closed as the idle is hunting up and down and eventually swings too far open and floods it. looking forward to converting it to map for this reason.

Edited by ke70dave

• 2 weeks later...

Its alive on haltech!

Took the plunge today and installed it and half wired it in

I wanted to make sure it was actually going to work so i kinda half temporarilly installed it, the entire oem system is still in place, all i have done so far is unplug the oem injectors and plugged in haltech injectors

achievement included -

- wired 02 sensor to analogue input and got it interfacing with ecu

- i think its a toyota air temp sensor i have, calibrated it and installed it. seems to give decent readings

- swapped to my GM 1 bar map sensor

-installed all my new bosch plugs with my new crimping tool, painful, but nice result.

- started it up!

I don't even know what fuel map is in it, some gineric map i installed when i was playing with it. But it started instantly, like proper instantly..... It was quite rich (10:1ish), but i quickly brought that into check and it idles soooo well at around 14:7. I have gone from 2 groups of 3 injectors to 3 groups of 2 running in semisquential. i got it to free rev quite well. And the first thing i noticed was that the throttle response is insane compared to the afm (and i don't even have my variable tps installed yet!)

So now that its a proof of concept, tomorrow is tidy it all up ready for hooning, tasks include:

-Install TPS - i need to drill and tap a few new holes in the adaptor plate, just m4 holes.

-swap out coolant temp sensor for this other one that i have calibration data on, and install that.

-Install my idle control valve and wire it in. It should be setup well from the last time i played with it.

-see if i can gut my spare AFM and swap it in. be nice to remove the flap and it still look oem.

-buy some loom tube and put all wires in it...as well as some self amalgamating tape, apparently its the go on this kind of thing.

-possibly install a second relay for the injector wires, at the moment they are just jammed on the battery.

Anywho, super stoked, here's a terrible photo of my mess. But it runs!

post-2532-0-15855100-1483431143_thumb.jpg

Edited by ke70dave