Sign in to follow this  
ke70dave

Ke70Daves New Euro Toy

Members dont see this ad

You gotta start the obsession early. So why not start with the best. 

Also they say never meet your heros. Screw that, now I really really want an f40. 

IMG_7150.jpg

Well Merry Christmas and happy new year to all!

So good news, i got a work ute! company car that i can drive anywhere. so the BMW is off daily work duties. It did 12000km in 10weeks and not a single issue. not bad eh!

Few weeks ago i picked up set of oem wheels. They are 14x6 and slightly better offset than the steelies. i gave them a coat of paint and i reckon they are a big improvement. 

They have some sort of bridgestone tyre on them. Certainly a considerable improvement over the chinesium tyres that were on it. 

20171210_162926.thumb.jpg.50a8325bede08d8786651be07799b92c.jpg

20171215_073809.thumb.jpg.b2ae9f8afc536af4c23aa0fbd9b90d73.jpg

I did develop a bit of a driveline vibration. I changed the support bearing on the driveshaft that seems to fixed it mostly. Wasnt too bad of a job, but  its never much fun climbing under the car...

20171229_114656.thumb.jpg.794eec358b91a7189e286dc6b3cdf249.jpg

Now the wife bought me a 3d printer for xmas, probably one of the coolest toys ive played with in a while. very cool thing. I took no time in printout a toyota logo. 

20171227_183947.jpg.0420a847f044511a9c691fdb7c112b90.jpg20171227_084551.thumb.jpg.47340318d40f901acb79e0d891278f07.jpg

Once i had fgured out the settings on the thing i eventually modelled up a proper gauge holder for my water temp gauge. turned out quite good i think!

20171229_134911.thumb.jpg.3cea7ece4d154dfd2ac0396907a4e5d8.jpg

I am still working out the settings. its a trade off between print quality and print time. You can reduce it to 0.1mm layer height and it looks great, but it takes hours to print. 

Alternatively you can print it quite course, and then just hit it with some primer/putty and paint to smooth it out. I probably should paint the parts anyway as currently i'm printing in PLA which is the easiest to print for a beginner but it doesn't have the best UV resistance.

Next projets on the car will be:

- 3d print a cup holder for the beema!
- Replace the front castor bushes (in the mail)
- do something about that megasquirt that is sitting in a box in the garage
- I'm on the lookout for a decent aftermarket steering wheel. I think id like one of the classic momo leather motorsport wheels. Ill keep my eye open for one.
-save up and buy an LSD

Edited by ke70dave

A factory LSD was the best mod I ever did in my AE86. Not one of the aftermarket this way, that way jobs. It was already good, but it just transformed it in that seat of the pants way of things. 

How much are the consumables for the printer. Is it like with an inkjet where you pay not much for the printer, but zillions for the cartridges?

And when do you print your first gun?

Yah the factory e30 lsd is considered  to be very good. Theres a guy down  the gold coast that does bmw lsds for about $1000. Comes in any ratio of your choice  and a warranty. Gotta Save my pennies!

Consumables for 3d printer are suprisingly affordable.  Its about $30 for 1kg roll. Which  sounds expensive but that gauge pod thing is like 15grams. The software  is cool in that it makes sections of the model  honeycomb to reduce material usage.

Edited by ke70dave

Right well today was a fun day. Made me this!

Megasquirt 2 on a diydave custom  loom. For those of you following along this time last year i tried and failed  with the haltech e8. Turned out the haltech was faulty and i gave up. 

Picked up this MS from my mate who ive known for yrs. This exact MS is the one i heloed tune prolly 10yrs ago now. It was sitting around amd i decided it needed a new home. 

I originally anticipted making an adaptor loom fpr the stock loom but it turns out this engine actually runs batch fire injection! Batch! 

So rather than try and and mod it i made my own loom with a semisequential setup. 

As of this arvo the tps , coolant temp, intake temp and all the injectors are done and have been bench tested  using the inbuilt testing in the MS.

Im going to make a second loom that will include the ignition wires, CAS and wide band. 

I dunno when ill get actually get it installed but there is some progress happening:D

20180120_160241.jpg

20180120_165036.jpg

Well more progress was made today. 

I decided to join a wire to every  pin including all spares to make it easier to add stuff  in the future.  Tested the fuel pump output  and it seems to work. 

All that is left is to add in the CAS wiring. I think ill go to jaycar and buy some microphone cable for the cas. Seems to be the go. 

The grey casing of the db37 is a reaaaally tight squeeze. Im away for work this week  so i might use my down time to design somethhng  better and then 3d print it next weekend. 

Then its just a matter of putting my wideband  back in and wiring in the power and ground on the loom. And adding a bit morw loom tube where required.  

But that might have to wait till next weekend. 

20180121_112157.jpg

20180121_100933.jpg

thanks matty.

Well update is, I finished the loom and it is all tested, all the injectors work and all the sensor connections - tps, coolant temp, air temp all work. 

I wired in the CAS wiring using some microphone cable from Jaycar. I connected it up to the CAS on the engine and the CAS works and gives the correct RPM. so i got the CAS settings correct. Its a late model CAS and the early engine doesnt use it so i can start the engine on old ECU to test the CAS.

I have made a little diy fuse and relay box, even 3D printed up a holder for all 3 relays (no photo unfortunately). It should work out quite well. I tried to use the stocko wiring but its just too old school and the relays are all genuine BMW things, which admitedly will probably never break, but if they do.....they are very expensive. so im using automotive relays from Jaycar, which may not last as long (10yrs vs 30yrs), but they are cheap to replace. 

I have put 3 relays in, fuel pump, EFI (ecu and injetors) and wide band 02 sensor. little fuse box thing has 5 fuses i think couple of spares for anything else i want to wire in....

After looking at your spot liight install i might install some myself...

And this all happened 4 weeks ago and nothing has happened since. little fella is growing up fast and im currently working in lismore...