Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ke70dave

Ke70Daves New Euro Toy

Recommended Posts

Hah yep! I saw a few brackets like mine for sale for quits alot of cash. $15bucks at bunnings and an afternoon and i made that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members dont see this ad

I probably should!

On the weekend i tackled cleaning up my wiring. I removed the original wiring loom as much as i could. I have a spare oem harness that i am going to strip out all of the engine stuff and just have the other wires (starter motor, alternator, gauges etc). that way i can remove all the old injector wiring etc from the car. 

I unfortunately had a setback. In trying to get the tachometer output working i appear to have blown one of the outputs on the ecu. Opened it up and i can see the cooked transistor. Will replace that at some stage. Own fault, shorted it by mistake....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right well. Where did those 6 months go? Who knows. Ill tell you where they went painting the house. Would would have thought it would take so much effort to paint a house? Another 2 Saturdays and the house will be painted i reckon. 

Anyway, e30 has kept going. drive it to work a few times a week. Surprised my megasquirt install has given basically zero trouble. I make slight changes to the tune every now and then. get great fuel economy and it really is a dream to drive. love the baby 6 cylinder. 

Big news as of a few weeks ago, i picked up a second hand door to replace the dented door. Car costs have been on the low priority so took me a few years to finally find a white one from the early model that was in pretty good condition. picked this one up for $40. It does have a small rust bubble on it, but for $40 it will last me a few yrs. All that is left from the incident a few yrs ago (Read back a few pages...) is a new bonnet, its got a ding or two and is the wrong color.... I have a red one in the shed but that costs to much to get painted. I almost had a white one secured the other month, but upon further investigation the "slight rust" was basically "it was rusted to shit" so i left that one. 

I did buy a second hand subframe, plan is to weld on the brackets to allow toe and camber adjustment. but thats been in teh shed for a few weeks now. Maybe christmas holiday project 😐

anyway, here is a happy snap of when i washed it last weekend for the first time in...forever.

 

bmwnewdoor.jpg

Edited by ke70dave
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minor update. I got some lower and much stiffer springs for the rear. Looks cooler and is much nicer to drive. No more bounce in the rear. And i went to the skid control "grip and slide" at lakeside last weekend. Loads of fun fooling about. Next upgrades will be tires!

70327178_868161486918183_7820978615285186560_o.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well time goes on, 

Latest project has been changing the oil pump drive arrangement. 

My engine being the older style has a distributor in the side of the block, this distributor also drives the oil pump. Bit of an odd arrangment because the oil pump is actually in the sump driven off the drive shaft (as opposed to the pump being on the crank like alot of engines) 

Anyway crux of the story is ever since i have owned this engine i have had a very annoying vibration sound at about 2000rpm through to about 3000rpm. Loud enough that you can hear it if you rev it while stationary, but once you are moving you cant hear it. 

I actually identified the issue as being the distributor itself. However since i have converted to the LS1 coils on the megasquirt i dont need the distributor anymore!

so i finally got around to tracking down the late model parts to remove the distributor (basically the distributor gear with a cap to block the hole. 

Removing and replacing the sump IN the car was a complete pain in the ass. IF you look closely you can see a strategically placed block of wood under the engine mount to make it possible.  But eventually we got it done. I had a spare sump that i cleaned up, new gasket. Cleaned up the oil pump which was in pretty good condition. 

Got it all back together the other weekend and it all seems to work as it should, and best part is the annoying sound is gone! 

Have also been doing a bit more tuning, mainly on the Advanced acceleration enrichement in megasquirt. pretty interesting algorithm that tries to predict how much fuel is stuck on the walls of the cylinder and how much is sucked off the walls. its only minor adjustments (+/- ~5%) but it has made a good difference to how it drives. Anyway a couple of photos, as well as a cool wide angle photo for fun. 

You can see the block/crank/rods looks fairly crusty....and it was....so i made the executive decision to put the sump back on and forget about the crustyness. 

e30wide.jpg

oil 1.jpg

oil 2.jpg

oil 3.jpg

Edited by ke70dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...