Ke55 Wipers Not Working

Hey fellas, my wipers have just stopped working. We're working fine and then stopped. I can't hear the motor even trying. Not sure where the fuse is. I have the visible fuses right under the steering wheel and then the ones behind the drivers side kick panel. Which one is the wipers?

Members dont see this ad

Hi Jason,

The fuse that usually feeds the wiper motor & washers is the "TURN" fuse, sometimes called TURN/WIPER. If your indicators also don't work, then it is probably the fuse. If not the fuse, then could be an open circuit anywhere, between fuse, stalk & wipers. Do the windscreen washers also not work ?

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

I can't add images yet but are any of the relays in the kick panel near the accelerator pedal the wiper relays. This link is where the photo is: http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/29149-issues-with-the-55/. There is 1x indicator flasher, 3x whihc look the same any 1 other. I can't find any information anywhere to tell me what these relays do? Cheers

Hi Jason,

I assume from your comment that "everything else is working as normal", means your windscreen washers are working. I asked this because the washer & wiper are both fed off the same fuse. If neither are working, then the problem is most likely the fuse or the power feed to the fuse. If the washers are working but not the wiper motor, then the fault will likely be in the steering column stalk or the connector plug at the base of the steering column. There are no relays originally associated with the wiper motor, unless someone has added one.

post-270-0-01447600-1465431348_thumb.jpg

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Hi Jason,

Here is the wiring around your wipers.

post-270-0-23170800-1465457079_thumb.jpg

The Turn / Wiper 15A fuse under the steering wheel feeds 12V power via the red lines; to Hazard switch, Washer motor, Stalk switch, & Wiper motor.

As washers are working, that indicates the fuse is OK. Check that you have 12V at the "B" terminal of the wiper motor. Check if you have 12V at the "B" terminal of the stalk switch. If both OK, then very likely the issue is in the stalk itself. Once you take the cover off, it may be visually obvious, with a broken wire or something simple.

Worst case, it means a new stalk.

Trust this assists.

Cheers Banjo

Alright. So I've just done some more tests. I'm confident the fuse is fine as indicator lights etc work, I also swapped it out with another fuse and no change. I then checked voltage at wiper stalk and found 12v at switch ok. I then checked voltage in engine bay and I'm only getting 1.5v at the most. Earth is clean and tight.??????

Have you checked the voltage at the wiper motor itself. That would have been my second test after proving the fuse. If you have the correct voltage then it is the wiper motor that has failed and if you have none then work backwards from there.

Hi Jason,

The wiper motor is not earthed via it's mounting to the cars body. It has a 3 point mounting plate which is isolated electrically, via the rubber vibration mounts. The earth is via the loom cable.

The KE wiper motors usually have a six (6) way plug on the loom which plugs directly into wiper motor. Usually five (5) of these connections are used.

The white wire with the black stripe is the EARTH/CHASSIS/GROUND.

The blue wire is the 12V power. (it usually has two wires connected to the plug.

There are also three other switching wires, that are all blue, but have black, orange & white traces/stripes, respectively.

Unplug the loom plug from the wiper motor. With multimeter or test lamp, check that you have a good 12V between the two pins on the plug with the blue wire (+ve) & White/Black wire (-ve/gnd)

If the volts are OK here, then the issue is the stalk itself, or the wiring between stalk & wiper motor. I'd put my money on the stalk.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Hi Jason,

The wiper motor is not earthed via it's mounting to the cars body. It has a 3 point mounting plate which is isolated electrically, via the rubber vibration mounts. The earth is via the loom cable.

That's weird, not saying your wrong, All my rolla's in the shed also have an earth wire from the wiper motor housing to one of the mounting bolts?

Edited by Clapped out

Hmmmm ! I tested mine. I unplugged the loom and connected the test lamp between wiper case & battery +ve. No light. Plugged the loom plug back into the wiper socket & bingo, it lit. Maybe Toyota changed this arrangement on some models. My Rolla is a 1975 KE30 2 door, assembled at AMI in Melbourne. Mine has not got a wire strap between wiper frame & mounting bolt, and don't think it ever had. My Rolla, is an unmolestest beauty, that belonged to a little olde lady, with low klms. (car that is, not the lady) So sorry if I have given any one a bum steer. Maybe Toyota varied in that respect on some models.

P.S. Your right Clapped Out ! I just went out in the shed & found a Wiper Motor off my "donor" KE55 2 door couple (which went to heaven). The wiper motor from the KE55 is a different shape to the one on my KE30. The Wiper "barrel" is wider in dia. & shorter. It also only has 4 wires in it's plug which is on a short loom/lead. It also still has attached a little black earth wire from the wiper case to a mounting bolt. So there are some KEs with the frame earthed locally, and others with the earth fed from the loom.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Hey fellas, sussed it out today. All Wiring and stem fine. Decided to strip the motor and found that one of the brushes wasn't springing towards the rotor because the little brass slide was slightly crushed. Sorted that out and set load on gear and all sweet. Cheers for all your help!!